Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-27-2019, 05:35 PM   #1
acniv

Drives: Chev Camaro
Hello and Question :)

Picked up a 2016 2SS couple weeks ago. Its a great car, other than the lack of a real back seat, its a lot of fun to drive (6 speed). I joined the forum to keep tabs on issues and what-not others have seen or experiencing. I have already enjoyed some of the links on the forums to the after market toys, lots of cool upgrades for the 6. Looking real hard at the Henessy 650HP upgrade.

My question: I had a Mustang Saleen in the past, it was fun car, but even keeping it in the garage and taking really good care, the leather interior started to suffer a bit over the years. Any recommendations on what I can do to keep the leather nice, clean and pliable? The seats are black and red with a metal SS badging, smells like real leather. I just don't want to put anything on it until I get some feedback from people who have actually used a product on their leather seats. Also, same for the steering wheel, any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Also, hello : )
acniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 05:41 PM   #2
Blue_6.2
Banned

Drives: 2019 1SS Convertible
I suspect you will get a different answer from everyone on the subject of leather care, just like you would on car waxes.

I used Lexol products on my last convertible, I was eminently satisfied with the performance of the cleaner and the conditioner.

https://www.lexol.com/
Blue_6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 05:45 PM   #3
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
to the club and good choice on the m6 2ss!

Lexol is good for leather and Sonax too if you have any alcantara in the car.

Don’t forget to post up some pics.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 05:50 PM   #4
KSA464

Drives: 2018 2SS
Try posting this in the Cosmetic section as well....
Welcome!
KSA464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 06:09 PM   #5
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
Hi,

there is a detailing etc. sub forum here:

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forum...er=desc&page=3

and also if you search under user "Glen e" you will find answers to all your detailing questions. Glen seems to walk the walk and knows what he's talking about.

Congrats on buy.
Old 12-06-2019, 11:23 PM   #6
acniv

Drives: Chev Camaro
Sorry, just getting back from out of town, thank you all for the info.

I am really looking to keep the leather in pristine condition, I will check out the recommendations, thank you.
acniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 11:34 PM   #7
Likkitysplit

Drives: 2011 Camaro RS
Meguiar's

Meguiar's makes a leather treatment for motorcycle seats. I use it on all my leather. I figure if it's good enough for something being out in the sun,... right?
Likkitysplit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 11:03 PM   #8
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
i wouldn't put a thing on the seats, personally. The only thing you can do to protect seats from cracking is stop UV rays from hitting them. Modern auto glass is pretty uv resistant, but putting a sunblocker in the windshield on sunny days is your best protection. Any product you buy is just going to gum them up and there are horror stories of supposed leather products causing discoloration, etc. The seats are designed to last without any special protection products. I would just wipe them down with a damp rag every once in a while thats it.

Now if you are talking semi-anilene leather like in high end luxury cars its an entire different ballgame. With those, you absolutely want to treat them, usually with something natural like a combo beeswax/mink oil product, and just a tiny amount. It will darken the leather but it will offer significant protection from spills, abrasion, etc. But these leather seats are not anilene leather, ie, no actual leather fibers touch you. It's covered in an artificial coating, and nothing you put on it will actually soak into the leather. It just sits on top of the artificial coating causing more harm than good. The market is full of $20 bottles of this stuff, nearly all of them are a complete ripoff and totally unnecessary. Many people will swear a particular brand is "good", usually its the one they happened to spend $20 on.

read this:
https://canadiangearhead.com/the-bes...-for-your-car/

Last edited by protovack; 12-07-2019 at 11:13 PM.
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 11:52 PM   #9
Tyestick

Drives: 19’ Camaro SS 1LE
For any kind of leather care, I tend to go with Lexol.
My 06’ GTO benefited the most from the strict leather care regiment imposed upon it.

The leather on the ‘new gen’ GTO would tend to dry out, to the point where you wouldn’t even be able to sew thread through the seams if it wasn’t treated with some kind of conditioner from one brand or another...