Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-09-2019, 10:07 PM   #57
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeless Junkie View Post
Next topic: Who's the most debt free guy driving a ZL1?
Not sure how a youngest thread turned into a $ waving contest, but for the benefit of our younger aspiring members, I’ll give you my $0.02 and a story.

Had <$5k to my name at age 21. Worked my ass off. Saved my ass off. Married wisely. Lived within our means and then some. Invested everything extra. Took modest vacations. Scrimped, saved, waited for bargains, sacrificed, and saved some more.

Fast forward 3 decades...
2 kids college already paid for with a pair of 529s on top. Retirement paid for. House paid for. Cars all paid for. No debt. Got laid off a couple times. But now I work for fun (okay and $$ too). Won’t win the oldest or youngest ZL1 contests. Donate to charity. Volunteer at church. Started retirement funds for the kids. Taught my teenager how to fix her own brakes, body electrical, change fluids, tires, etc. on her own car.

Good enough for ya?

No? Some who subscribe to Robert Kiyosaki thinking will say being debt free is dumb since you can acquire debt easily and then leverage that debt to make an income (real estate in his case, and he later went bankrupt doing it). Others say the opposite. I didn’t have too. Just makes me different, not better.

There is ALWAYS someone else out there with a bigger d!ck and more $ than me or you or anyone else on this forum. There are plenty of billionaires out there with original ‘69 ZL1s that brokers picked up for their private collections. They will win the debt free contest 1000x over.

This doesn’t mean you and I can’t be John Wick focused on a goal and be smart with our choices and do the work for it.

For those curious how. There are many ways. For one good method, watch Tom Ferry spell it out in this vid. The audience is self-employed realtors, but the principles are rock solid:

The young guys and gals on this forum aspiring to own and drive ZL1s have my admiration.

Good luck and go for it!
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 11:42 PM   #58
Scraps0f

Drives: 2018 NGM ZL1
God damn that was a roller coaster.

Got mine new(4 Miles on clock) at 32 last year, paying till I am 38, same time house will be paid for. Hoping for sooner for both, however I made poor life choices in the 2000's and I recently married poorly and am sorting that out. Luckily my housing is nothing like the west coast. I couldn't imagine making ~$800 a day and going 'Damn, $1000 a month car payment, I can't afford that.'

The only two things I would change would have been to get divorced earlier, making for more fun time, and to have waited for the A10 ZLE, I know hate me all you want but I am not a manual driver. I could if I had to, but I really would rather not.
Scraps0f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 04:46 AM   #59
Artryan

Drives: 2018 ZL1 , 2020 GMC AT4 Carbon Pro
The way I see it is that different things make different people happy. I think there was a quote that was attributed to John Lennon that said something along the lines of "Life is what happens while you're planning for the future."

My dad died of cancer at age 39. That taught me to live for today just as much as to plan for tomorrow. I never wanted to be the old guy that died with McDonalds bags under his bed in his little apartment filled with 3 million in cash. Life is too short to put off the things you want to do, banking on the possibility you can do them later in life.

I own a lot of nice shit, and have since I was in my mid 20's. I don't have millions in the bank and a lot of what I own isn't paid off yet. However, if I died tomorrow, I think I'd go more peacefully knowing that I did the things I wanted to in life as opposed to being debt free and having a big bank account. That's just me, though. I don't fault anyone else for doing life however they see fit.
Artryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 11:41 AM   #60
cbr1100xx
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 Jetta 1.8, '19 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post

There is ALWAYS someone else out there with a bigger d!ck and more $ than me or you or anyone else on this forum.
I'd prefer you don't talk about me without my permission......
cbr1100xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 12:17 PM   #61
UFXCRUNNER

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artryan View Post
The way I see it is that different things make different people happy. I think there was a quote that was attributed to John Lennon that said something along the lines of "Life is what happens while you're planning for the future."

My dad died of cancer at age 39. That taught me to live for today just as much as to plan for tomorrow. I never wanted to be the old guy that died with McDonalds bags under his bed in his little apartment filled with 3 million in cash. Life is too short to put off the things you want to do, banking on the possibility you can do them later in life.

I own a lot of nice shit, and have since I was in my mid 20's. I don't have millions in the bank and a lot of what I own isn't paid off yet. However, if I died tomorrow, I think I'd go more peacefully knowing that I did the things I wanted to in life as opposed to being debt free and having a big bank account. That's just me, though. I don't fault anyone else for doing life however they see fit.
Damn. That hits home. Sorry to hear about your dad. I live mine very similar in the same way as yours.
UFXCRUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 01:46 PM   #62
jbp8653

Drives: 2017 ZL1,2013 ZR1, 1952 C3100 Resto
ok, here is my story. I was 64 when I got my 17' ZL1. However I was only 21 when I got my first Corvette in 1974. A 73' 454, 4 speed. Paid cash, 6300.00 if I remember right. My father asked me if I was selling drugs or something!!!! Have had 27 more of those bad boys over the years including a 13' ZR1 that I have now in addition to the ZL1. Cars have played a huge part of my life. 30 year Chevy dealership employee as well!

2013 ZR1 60th Anniv.

1952 C3100 resto-rod. LS6, 4L60e, 228R cam
jbp8653 is offline   Reply With Quote