Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-06-2019, 03:04 PM   #1
Mov Ov3r
What speed limit?

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Your thoughts on GM moving to Android Automotive

Upcoming in 2021, GM plans to adopt the Google Experience. Some features will include the below;

"Google Assistant will be able to do all standard hands-free voice functions like texting, playing audio, and controlling home appliances, like opening/closing a smart garage door. Car-specific features include changing the temperature, as well as interacting with OnStar or Connected Services plans to check on tire pressure and schedule maintenance."

Also noting,

"The carmaker specifically touts upcoming advantages and improvements in three areas: voice assistant, embedded navigation, and in-vehicle applications." Read more here
Mov Ov3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 03:14 PM   #2
Mighty Mouce
Banned

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mov Ov3r View Post
Upcoming in 2021, GM plans to adopt the Google Experience. Some features will include the below;

"Google Assistant will be able to do all standard hands-free voice functions like texting, playing audio, and controlling home appliances, like opening/closing a smart garage door. Car-specific features include changing the temperature, as well as interacting with OnStar or Connected Services plans to check on tire pressure and schedule maintenance."

Also noting,

"The carmaker specifically touts upcoming advantages and improvements in three areas: voice assistant, embedded navigation, and in-vehicle applications." Read more here

Can Google be trusted to keep your info secure? Probably not.
Mighty Mouce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 03:18 PM   #3
custommx3

Drives: 2017 2SS, 2023 3LT RS, 2011 2LT RS
If your Phone is BT paired with an android, you kind of can do this already with a long hold on the speech button if I remember correctly.
custommx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 03:19 PM   #4
Mov Ov3r
What speed limit?

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Mouce View Post
I'm not sure how much info they'll have, but an article from The Verge has a statement;

"GM tells The Verge. GM will share the access to some anonymized data, according to CNBC, though Google won’t be able to see any information about the way someone drives or a vehicle’s maintenance needs, according to Reuters."
Mov Ov3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 04:03 PM   #5
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
I'd disconnect any network connection my car has or any future car. Not only because they dont give you control over firewalling that access to the internet, but because they make you subscribe to a service you already pay for with your phone to use features that would work perfectly fine thru it. F that money grab.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 04:41 PM   #6
Bobkd

Drives: 2018 1ss, 2021 silverado HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by custommx3 View Post
If your Phone is BT paired with an android, you kind of can do this already with a long hold on the speech button if I remember correctly.
If you have your phone connected to a usb port and say "ok google" it will turn android auto on and run google assistant without touching a thing. I use this to open my garage doors and all of my other smart devices when I pull up to the house.
On a side note to anyone using siriusxm online. It works great with android auto, You can change channels on the mylink, rewind, and since it's on your phone you can use it in your other cars.
Bobkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 07:11 PM   #7
Scraps0f

Drives: 2018 NGM ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobkd View Post
If you have your phone connected to a usb port and say "ok google" it will turn android auto on and run google assistant without touching a thing. I use this to open my garage doors and all of my other smart devices when I pull up to the house.
On a side note to anyone using siriusxm online. It works great with android auto, You can change channels on the mylink, rewind, and since it's on your phone you can use it in your other cars.
I am hopeful that this move they are making will allow for all that we get from being tethered to now not having to plug in.
Scraps0f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 08:42 PM   #8
16CamaroSS

Drives: 2016 Summit White Camaro SS (2SS)
Quote:
^ Exactly
16CamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 09:41 PM   #9
Zapote21
Tampa Bay Camaros

Drives: 2017 Krypton Green 2SS
Absolutely hilarious that you all think this is a concern. Like all our devices aren't listening to every word we say already

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
2016 C7 DSOM
2012 2SS yellow vert
2017 2LT Krypton Green
2018 2LT Hot wheels crush
2020 2SS Shock vert.
2017 2SS Krypton Green coupe
Zapote21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 10:27 PM   #10
wavsine
________/\_

Drives: Gen6 NGM RS
Send a message via Yahoo to wavsine
Quote:
What kind of a company would violate children's privacy? Absolutely nothing is sacred to these douchebags.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/04/t...-fine-ftc.html
wavsine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 12:55 PM   #11
glopez5

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
News flash, all phone makers are tracking your data, storing, sharing, selling etc. They are all using it in ways that aren't even illegal yet.

* just in turns out NSA has been doing this too.

You think this forum isn't tracking you? You think these ads are random? Lol
glopez5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 09:22 PM   #12
RenegadeXR

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
I think this is for the best. The automotive industry doesn't typically attract good talent when it comes to UI and nav systems. This is why Apple CarPlay and Android Auto became a thing. Android Automotive will create a more cohesive infotainment system across brands.

You're always being tracked. If you use Spotify, Google Maps, or any other app on your phone while in your car, information is being harvested. Even GM's OnStar tracks you.

The one thing I'm confused about is: Where does this thing grab data from so you can use internet-based voice commands? It'd either have to run off an LTE hotspot in the car itself or piggyback off your phone. I can't find any articles where this is explained.
Old 09-08-2019, 09:56 PM   #13
3.8TransAM

Drives: SS 1LE, 89 TTA, 91 GTA, 91 Formula
More crap you don't need in a car......... Give me cloth, AC, manual windows and locks. Just more crap to break and cause problems.
3.8TransAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 10:49 PM   #14
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.8TransAM View Post
More crap you don't need in a car......... Give me cloth, AC, manual windows and locks. Just more crap to break and cause problems.
^THIS^
95 imp is offline   Reply With Quote