Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 05-29-2023, 06:30 PM   #1
Shock and Steel

Drives: 2023 Camaro Convertible 2LT
Choose Albums/Songs While Driving?

Hello All,

I have a 2023 Camaro Convertible with the 2LT. The Infotainment system seems to work nicely, but I'm surprised I can't change my music selection while driving. I'll give more background.

I use Apple Car Play for my Maps Navigation, but not for my music. For music, I use two 64GB USB Drives with about 10,000 MP3 ripped at 320kbps. I think it sounds better than accessing the music on my phone through Bluetooth.

The issue is, when I'm in motion, the system will not let me choose and album, folder, or song on the Infotainment screen. Coming from Ford and Jeep, I find that strange. I guess every company has "safety" features that limit our options, but this seems rather restrictive.

Does anyone know if I can change this setting, and if so, how do I do that? I'm not trying to watch DVDs or NetFlix in the car - I'd just like to be able to choose my USB music on the screen while driving.

Thank you in advance for any help!
Shock and Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 07:36 PM   #2
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Use the voice commands while in motion. Works flawless for me.

But if you are using one of the Carplay or Auto options you need to set it up to work, and again Voice commands work flawless.

Voice = safety IMHO. The amount of doofuses looking at their screens or phones on the road absolutely PISS ME OFF, YOU HAVE THE TECH, TALK TO IT!

EDIT, I use bluetooth audio for music and Android Auto for normal screen. I can talk to each and navigate the road. Single click on the voice is BT is CAMARO, hold voice it Android Auto,

Single click - Play song (My Will to Live), album (Dying of Everything), artist (Obituary)

Hold Voice - you enter phone mode

For good measure

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.

Last edited by FarmerFran; 05-29-2023 at 07:53 PM.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 08:16 PM   #3
Geese1

Drives: 2022 2SS 1LE - 2023 Mazda3 Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerFran View Post

But if you are using one of the Carplay or Auto options you need to set it up to work, and again Voice commands work flawless.

Voice = safety IMHO. The amount of doofuses looking at their screens or phones on the road absolutely PISS ME OFF, YOU HAVE THE TECH, TALK TO IT!

EDIT, I use bluetooth audio for music and Android Auto for normal screen. I can talk to each and navigate the road. Single click on the voice is BT is CAMARO, hold voice it Android Auto,

Single click - Play song (My Will to Live), album (Dying of Everything), artist (Obituary)

For good measure

I'll have to try this out. I'm like the OP in that I use a USB drive with all my music sored on it, and not having the ability to select music when driving is annoying. Hopefully the voice detection works well though, as most cars I've been in don't seem to recognize the majority of my music.

4/15/22 - #1100
4/19/22 - #2000
4/22/22 - #3000
4/26/22 - #3000 - TPW 5/23
5/12/22 - #3400 - TPW 5/23
6/18/22 - #4300
7/25/22 - #6000 - Took delivery
5/28/23 - hit 1,500 miles - break-in officially over!
Geese1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 07:58 PM   #4
The Maverick
Somewhere in the Kalahari

Drives: 2021/18 (de-fresh) 3LT RS
One of the annoying differences between my 2016 1LT and the 2021 3LT - I could easily change playlists on the fly in the 2016 using the infotainment screen, which did not have the silly lockout feature. My simple descriptive playlist names are apparently not voice command friendly based on my repeated attempts to call up the one I want, and I haven't gotten around to trying to rename all the playlists - but bringing a passenger has been an effective solution to this annoyance!
The Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 08:56 PM   #5
Shock and Steel

Quote:

For good measure
We have a couple things in common in that we both notice there are a bunch of doofuses out on the road, and we both have the new Sharkskin Metallic paint! I will work on using the voice commands. It kind of stinks, because I have access to over 1,000 high-quality albums, but can't remember all the album titles. But I guess having this Chevy will help me memorize all of those album names.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geese1 View Post
I'll have to try this out. I'm like the OP in that I use a USB drive with all my music sored on it, and not having the ability to select music when driving is annoying. Hopefully the voice detection works well though, as most cars I've been in don't seem to recognize the majority of my music.
I made a little progress with the voice commands. Although it already doesn't recognize some of the album titles in my collection. One of my Spock's Beard albums is titled "V" for 5... and the car doesn't recognize it when I say "V" or "5"... I could go in and change the name to "Five" but that's going to get old fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Maverick View Post
One of the annoying differences between my 2016 1LT and the 2021 3LT - I could easily change playlists on the fly in the 2016 using the infotainment screen, which did not have the silly lockout feature. My simple descriptive playlist names are apparently not voice command friendly based on my repeated attempts to call up the one I want, and I haven't gotten around to trying to rename all the playlists - but bringing a passenger has been an effective solution to this annoyance!
Most of my driving is done alone, so I won't get help from a passenger.
Old 05-31-2023, 05:18 AM   #6
dmcmahan60

Drives: 2017 SS
Quote:

For good measure

Wow, I am impressed! Think you and I would get along just great now seeing your choice in music I am 56 and still love the Metal. My kids hate it That is why I turn that S**T up loud any time they are in the car with me.
dmcmahan60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 04:08 PM   #7
Capricio

Drives: 2000 WS6
I have most of my music in the car on a 64G USB flash drive. I'm only allowed to choose tracks inside a folder, it's frustrating not being able to navigate back a level and see my folders/albums unless I'm fully stopped. So, yes, if anyone knows a way around this (yeah, I know, we're all gonna die!) I'd be glad to hear it.
Capricio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 04:43 PM   #8
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
I'd contact Chris White at WAMS, website here: https://www.whiteautoandmedia.com/. If anyone is able to come up with a fix, he's the guy.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 07:36 PM   #9
vj123

Drives: 2023 ZL1
I have my songs loaded in a USB as well and this is the first vehicle i am facing this issue.

Even though it might be something minor, its really annoying especially when one is on an interstate.
vj123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 07:54 PM   #10
FarmerFran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shock and Steel View Post
We have a couple things in common in that we both notice there are a bunch of doofuses out on the road, and we both have the new Sharkskin Metallic paint! I will work on using the voice commands. It kind of stinks, because I have access to over 1,000 high-quality albums, but can't remember all the album titles. But I guess having this Chevy will help me memorize all of those album names.

I made a little progress with the voice commands. Although it already doesn't recognize some of the album titles in my collection. One of my Spock's Beard albums is titled "V" for 5... and the car doesn't recognize it when I say "V" or "5"... I could go in and change the name to "Five" but that's going to get old fast.

Most of my driving is done alone, so I won't get help from a passenger.
Was not a dig at you S&S - I am just seeing more of it. And for the record UCONNECT > * Way better than any other system I have encountered even AA and carplay. The GM system does take some getting used to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcmahan60 View Post
Wow, I am impressed! Think you and I would get along just great now seeing your choice in music I am 56 and still love the Metal. My kids hate it That is why I turn that S**T up loud any time they are in the car with me.
My 2 kids... 22 and 29 - I warped them, they go to Concerts with me saw Slayer Farewell tour and Iron Maiden last year, among others , Anthrax at the Slayer Farewell tour is my youngest and my favorite show EVER!

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
Old 06-01-2023, 07:57 PM   #11
Capricio

Quote:
Originally Posted by vj123 View Post
I have my songs loaded in a USB as well and this is the first vehicle i am facing this issue.

Even though it might be something minor, its really annoying especially when one is on an interstate.

Really annoying nanny control... i guess a workaround would be putting all your media files on your phone if you can add enough storage to it or run

AA wirelessly with a USB C in your phone's data port while using an AA supported media player.
Old 06-01-2023, 08:05 PM   #12
FarmerFran

OH CRAP, I think I understand the issue. On this car you have to go to the Chevy Music ICON and select you USB. Play a song then it will always look there first, even if AA or ACP is on the main screen.

Well maybe I don't understand the problem. I use voice.

I'll look at it in the AM

Old 06-02-2023, 08:51 AM   #13
Capricio

To be clear... the issue is with the native media player trying to navigate file structures on a directly attached flash drive while in motion, nothing to do with phones. Running your media files through your phone interface could be a workaround. If the native media player responds to voice commands, I don't know how to do it (yet).
Old 06-04-2023, 08:46 AM   #14
Shock and Steel

As with Ford and Jeep, the Chevy voice commands suck. It doesn't understand half of what I say, and I speak clearly. When it does understand what I say, I have to make extra choices because my music is on my phone and on my USB drives.

I might try plugging in my phone directly through the car's USB, and see how that is to control the music from my phone... if it lets me.