Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-14-2019, 09:37 AM   #15
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
It's crazy to me that a state can say "you're to loud give me $1000". I would think there is a constitutional violation somewhere in there. Anyway, good luck out there guys. I would be registering my car in Nevada or something like that. Find a county out of state with no emissions laws so you don't have to bring your car back every year.
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 10:13 AM   #16
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSnakeEater View Post
On the fence on whether or not I want to buy a completely new exhaust system so I thought I'd see what everyone thinks. The new law is set at 95db which my car will NOT pass as of this moment. I've got kooks lt headers going into MBRP race exhaust, so not cats. I did install some small cherry bomb mufflers toward the back to quiet it down since the straight pipes were insane. Question is, what are my options to get this thing where it needs to be if that's the road I decide to go down? Removing the headers is def not an option but I might toy with the idea of a different exhaust that has cats and mufflers. I would just want to make sure that whatever I buy will meet the requirements. I'd also like to stay close to the low, rumble that my current setup provides.
California?...Sorry not sure you can be helped now....I suggest moving to Texas.
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 01:12 PM   #17
PRAY

Drives: 2016 2SS
First straws, now this. Just move bro. It will be cheaper in the long run.
Old 01-15-2019, 01:52 PM   #18
ULTRAZLS1

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ Z71, 16 Camaro SS
Leave
ULTRAZLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 01:59 PM   #19
Tyl3r

Drives: Camaro 2LT
Seriously leave, the State has literally said to you that if you like sports cars, you are not welcome.
Tyl3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 04:59 PM   #20
FlowForm_Wheels

Drives: Turbo 4, SC V8 and Twin Turbo V8
The law didn't change, all that changed was now it's not a fix it ticket.
The fine isn't $1000, it's $197, let's get real for a minute.

The 95 decibel limit rule has been law in California since 1998, so it's just a bunch of propaganda turned into wildfire thanks to the internet.

Last edited by FlowForm_Wheels; 01-16-2019 at 09:30 AM.
FlowForm_Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 07:24 PM   #21
JonD

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Ehhhh hardly propaganda but hey let California do what California does

Last edited by JonD; 01-15-2019 at 09:24 PM.
JonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 08:24 PM   #22
ChetCamaro

Drives: 2019 ZL1 A10
California used to be cool. Shame what the "progressives" have done to the place.

This loud exhaust issue is nothing that cannot be solved by a cash for clunkers program.
ChetCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 09:04 PM   #23
Kinmartin0789

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS Red Hot
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowForm_Wheels View Post
Plus the law didn't change, all that changed was now it's not a fix it ticket.

The 95 decibel limit rule has been law in California since 1998, so it's just a bunch of propaganda turned into wildfire thanks to the internet.
[/SIZE][/FONT]

How dare you use logic and reason against people who don't know what they're talking about! If you actually research and hell know anyone who lives there you would know that the law didnt change, the enforcement of the law has changed. Please educate yourself before making knee jerk reactions or posts based on feelings. Dont be a snowflake of either political party!
Kinmartin0789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 09:31 AM   #24
FlowForm_Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinmartin0789 View Post
How dare you use logic and reason against people who don't know what they're talking about! If you actually research and hell know anyone who lives there you would know that the law didnt change, the enforcement of the law has changed. Please educate yourself before making knee jerk reactions or posts based on feelings. Dont be a snowflake of either political party!
Old 01-16-2019, 09:44 AM   #25
BrianL

Drives: 2016 2SS, Red Hot, NPP, Nav, M6
Personally I would try a different exhaust system, can't go with a race system or straight pipes when with Cherry Bombs (which don't cancel much), leave the headers, go back to having CAT's.

I had a heavily modified 5.0 back in the day and with high flow CATs and an exhaust system that was not straight pipes (!) it wasn't bad and still maintained a performance sound without attracting the police for the sound.

Way back I had a big block 69 Mustang with headers and shorty Cherry Bomb's and got a ticket within a week for excessive noise. Had to replace those with longer and not straight through mufflers even back in the 70's to get a cop to sign off it was OK. Definitely not a fine only in CA way back then for me.
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 10:49 AM   #26
DC5

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowForm_Wheels View Post
The law didn't change, all that changed was now it's not a fix it ticket.

If you see a law enforcement officer on the road (namely, a CHP officer), drive conservatively and keep your rpm's low. Shifting between 2,000rpm and 2,500rpm (manual), or driving in such a manner that the automatic transmission shifts within the aforementioned rpm range, should allow you to avoid being hassled by law enforcement.

I do, however, agree with those that suggest moving out of state. There were 1000 reasons to move out of California before this "new" law, and now there are 1001 reasons to move out of California. That's precisely what I'm doing this year . . .
DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 11:18 AM   #27
18ss376

Drives: Camaro
Interesting Read:

https://www.streetmusclemag.com/news...w-exhaust-law/
18ss376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 11:29 AM   #28
FlowForm_Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18ss376 View Post
The video that you see in that article is BS. You guys really believe everything a Police officer says? It's not illegal for a Police officer to lie guys, comon... That video is the reason why I think all of this started, but again it's BS. If you have a loud exhaust, it isn't simply a $1000 fine, it's not that cut and dry. If you have a loud exhaust, technically speaking it's a $193-$197 fine as I have mentioned.

Also that article is BS because the first resolution that it comes up with is Cut out's which explicitly is illegal in California (people do it anyway), as well as bypass mufflers which are essentially one in the same as they operate with a valve which is not legal. Sorry to say that article is pretty useless. Again the internet prevails in providing nonsense.

CA. V.C. 27150 (a) Every motor vehicle subject to registration shall be equipped with an adequate muffler in constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise, and no muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped with a cutout, bypass, or similar device.

Below are the list of fines and their dollar amounts if anyone is interested:

Sure, some exhaust fines as you see are over $1000, but if you look at the photos above, the first one says "Modification of Exhaust system with a Whistle-Tip." Anyone remember Bubb Rubb??? Nobody in CA actually does this -

This thread is just a bucket full of misinformation.