Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-10-2019, 05:44 PM   #15
Umbriel

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxChris View Post
Thanks for the feedback. Haven't seen members talking about their AWE installs yet. It is disappointing that cold starts are louder, because that is my biggest complaint with the stock NPP exhaust because it opens the valves for the first 30 seconds. Getting into the car to put it into Stealth before cranking is annoying because I usually fire it up from inside the house and let it warm for a few minutes before I'm ready to leave. Using Stealth starts also wear out your AFM and NPP valves and get you that rattle sooner.

Would like an exhaust that isn't loud on start, stays tame until you hit 2500rpm and gets progressively angrier as it climbs. It's like someone lost the plans on how to build a street car exhaust and they are all some variant of a track, DB-limited exhaust instead now.
From what I understand from numerous people that loud cold start is something that you just have to live with if you have any type of aftermarket exhaust. While it is loud it does sound really good.
Umbriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 05:45 PM   #16
Umbriel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent K View Post
Maybe we can compare systems at a Thursday night Bartlett car meet once the weather turns warm again. I've been invited a couple of times but haven't due to my schedule and also I mainly drive the ZL1 on the weekends.
We can definitely do that just let me know when you are going to go. I normally do not go to the Bartlett meet even though I live in Bartlett but I usually always to to Cars and Coffee in Germantown.
Old 01-10-2019, 06:36 PM   #17
Agent K

Drives: 2017 ZL1 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbriel View Post
We can definitely do that just let me know when you are going to go. I normally do not go to the Bartlett meet even though I live in Bartlett but I usually always to to Cars and Coffee in Germantown.
Ok. I've been invited several times to the Germantown C&C but seem to miss it everytime; I'll try to make a few this year. I usually attend the 2nd & 3rd weekend C&C...those Dodge boys at Pimento's are LOUD

If you see this car at Germantown C&C, it'll be me
Name:  20181202_115646.jpg
Views: 640
Size:  437.1 KB
2017 ZL1 Arctic Blue Metallic / 6MT / sunroof / NAV / PDR / RotoFab CAI + dry filter / Tony Mamo TB V1 / Skip Shift Eliminator / Hurst Short Throw Shifter / ZL1 floor mats / Dead Pedal cover (to match other pedals) / ARH Catless 1-7/8" headers + ARH X-pipe + AWE Touring Axle-Back / Diode Dynamic smoked side markers / American Authority tow hook
Agent K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 06:43 PM   #18
Umbriel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent K View Post
Ok. I've been invited several times to the Germantown C&C but seem to miss it everytime; I'll try to make a few this year. I usually attend the 2nd & 3rd weekend C&C...those Dodge boys at Pimento's are LOUD

If you see this car at Germantown C&C, it'll be me
Attachment 971008
Awesome, I'll be looking for it.
Old 01-12-2019, 03:05 PM   #19
EddieL3

Drives: 1995 Z28, 2018 SS 1LE
Any chance you’ll be posting a sound clip? I have a resonated touring exhaust with performance link pipes that I’ll be installing in the spring.
EddieL3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 03:36 PM   #20
Umbriel

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieL3 View Post
Any chance you’ll be posting a sound clip? I have a resonated touring exhaust with performance link pipes that I’ll be installing in the spring.
Yeah I'm just waiting on it to quit raining so I can pull it out of the garage.
Old 07-16-2019, 07:46 AM   #21
BRLeal80

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
So I finally got my AWE catback and got everything put in. The headers are TSP 2 inch headers and the catback is the AWE Touring with resonators.

My first thought is it is way louder on a cold start than I was expecting, like my neighbors are going to be pissed at 7 am loud. I thought it would be a little tamer than it is but it is ruthless.

Second thought is it is way quieter at idle after it is warm than I thought it would be. I was expecting it to be kind of rowdy at idle but not overbearing. It is really tame at idle to the point I can't even hear it inside the car and outside the car it just has a nice tone to it but not loud at all.

Driving it sounds great, pretty loud and nasty on acceleration with a slight hint of rasp in the upper RPMs or right when it shifts but not enough to sound bad. Cruising you can't even hear it really and there is not even a hint of drone in the car.

It is very surprising to me how it goes from being so loud and nasty on a cold start or while accelerating to so tame at cruising or at idle. Very nice set up and good quality, really impressed with the AWE system.
Umbriel, did the tsp headers clamp directly to the AWE catback system or was there welding required?
BRLeal80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 07:56 AM   #22
Umbriel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRLeal80 View Post
Umbriel, did the tsp headers clamp directly to the AWE catback system or was there welding required?
I believe they said there was some welding that had to be done to make it fit. I think that you will have that with any set of headers going into a catback because they are designed around hooking up to the stock manifolds.
Old 07-18-2019, 08:41 AM   #23
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Cold start will be louder on any system. The Camaro uses a double pulse on the spark plug firing for the first 90 seconds so to burn off more of the fuel and to help with getting the cats to light off faster.

The car will be louder while in Open Loop until it transitions into Closed Loop.

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 11:59 AM   #24
BRLeal80

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
I believe they said there was some welding that had to be done to make it fit. I think that you will have that with any set of headers going into a catback because they are designed around hooking up to the stock manifolds.
Thank you
I went ahead and order some tsp headers with off road pipes and the awe catback non-resonated.
Cant wait to hear my car rumble
BRLeal80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 01:55 PM   #25
Umbriel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRLeal80 View Post
Thank you
I went ahead and order some tsp headers with off road pipes and the awe catback non-resonated.
Cant wait to hear my car rumble
You will be happy with the results.
Old 07-22-2019, 09:58 AM   #26
HouseStark

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFS197 View Post
Yeah. I don't have cats nor the resonators on my setup. It's really, really loud. I'm going to have to quiet this down. As good as it sounds, there's no way I won't have a cop on my ass eventually.
It’s always really bothered how it’s socially acceptable for bikes to be as loud and obnoxious as possible but god forbid a car makes noise.
HouseStark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 10:00 AM   #27
HouseStark

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
So I finally got my AWE catback and got everything put in. The headers are TSP 2 inch headers and the catback is the AWE Touring with resonators.

My first thought is it is way louder on a cold start than I was expecting, like my neighbors are going to be pissed at 7 am loud. I thought it would be a little tamer than it is but it is ruthless.

Second thought is it is way quieter at idle after it is warm than I thought it would be. I was expecting it to be kind of rowdy at idle but not overbearing. It is really tame at idle to the point I can't even hear it inside the car and outside the car it just has a nice tone to it but not loud at all.

Driving it sounds great, pretty loud and nasty on acceleration with a slight hint of rasp in the upper RPMs or right when it shifts but not enough to sound bad. Cruising you can't even hear it really and there is not even a hint of drone in the car.

It is very surprising to me how it goes from being so loud and nasty on a cold start or while accelerating to so tame at cruising or at idle. Very nice set up and good quality, really impressed with the AWE system.
Might be a dumb question but I’m also in the market for headers paired to the AWE exhaust. If I get long tubes does that eliminate both pairs of cats?
HouseStark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 05:32 PM   #28
Umbriel

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseStark View Post
Might be a dumb question but I’m also in the market for headers paired to the AWE exhaust. If I get long tubes does that eliminate both pairs of cats?
The headers will delete the cats yes, unless you buy some with your headers.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk