Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 12-30-2018, 03:03 PM   #29
2ltrgsr
AXLERODZL1

Drives: 2019 Riverside blue ZL1 Camaro
purchased mine yesterday for my 19 ZL1(A10)... can't wait!
2ltrgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 03:14 PM   #30
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ltrgsr View Post
purchased mine yesterday for my 19 ZL1(A10)... can't wait!
Can't wait..

What are you expecting out of this mod?
Old 12-30-2018, 05:38 PM   #31
Fredtp

Drives: 2019 ZL1 A10 Black Mosaic
I had a Mamo TB on my 17 C7 and it worked fine. I just ordered a Katech for my ZL1, I want to see if there is a difference.
Fredtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 05:44 PM   #32
2ltrgsr
AXLERODZL1

Drives: 2019 Riverside blue ZL1 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Can't wait..

What are you expecting out of this mod?
Well bud... When you're on deployment, it's the little things that add up for to you com home too.

Family 1st
2nd...Car parts I've bought during my time away.
2ltrgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 06:26 PM   #33
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Well bud... When you're on deployment, it's the little things that add up for to you com home too.

Family 1st
Your money bud. Tks for your service.
Old 12-31-2018, 02:59 AM   #34
Alain

Drives: 2016 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 ZL1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Your money bud. Tks for your service.
You don’t have a shop manual for your 2019 do you?
I’m going to see if I can track down these part numbers for throttle bodies on 18s and 19s.

2018 ZL1 1LE/Red hot

2019 Shellby GT 350R/ Oxford white/ Matte Black Stripes/ Carbon Fiber Dash/ Electronics Package #413
Alain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 04:56 AM   #35
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports

Drives: 2009 CTS-V, 2008 C6Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain View Post
You don’t have a shop manual for your 2019 do you?
I’m going to see if I can track down these part numbers for throttle bodies on 18s and 19s.
Let me know what you find out....I would be very surprised if it were different as I have sold quite a few TB's to 2019' ZL1 and Z06 owners.

Did some digging online and there is very little available info on the newer 2019 parts.

Going to email my GM Rep and should have a firm answer regarding that by the middle of the week

Guys I appreciate all the positive comments and I hope I offered up some information that help more of you better understand what's going on. Its not a software problem.....its a hardware issue and thankfully its inexpensive and easy to replace!

Cheers,
Tony
www.mamomotorsports.com
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 05:22 AM   #36
waterman

Drives: Grandad's C2 L89
IMHO, smoothing out intake flow is as important and likely more important than smoothing outflow. Fluid (air, water) dynamics is a big part of what I do.

Straightening and smoothing intake air sets the performance stage for the big three of internal combustion; air, fuel and spark.

Most of us think nothing about spending thousands to smooth out exhaust resistance and turbulence with headers and free flow exhaust systems. Doing the same for intake is just as critical for performance gains. With that said, your LT4 has to breathe in, before it exhales.

Some background; The build and delivery of my Z was delayed for many, many months. During that painful impediment, I had time to establish relationships with a few performance and cosmetic vendors. One of those was Tony Mamo.

Tony responded to every one of my (many) emails within 12 hours and some within an hour. He thoroughly answered every one of my questions and addressed all of my concerns. Top shelf customer service.

A TM PTB was a no brainer for me. An OEM TB flow bench tested, then ported by a recognized expert. A 15 minute install, or switch back to stock.

Throttle response is greatly improved, more linear and predictable.. Tip in is significantly more predictable in all PTMs.

IMHO the significantly improved throttle response alone, is worth the price of admission. My opinions are based on feel, my car has not seen the dyno.

There was a question about idle hunting; Full disclosure, in my discussions with Tony, I mentioned my desire for an aggressively ported TB without fear of throwing codes. Though my ECU hunted on the first 2 cold starts, I have not experienced any "hunting since... and there has never been a CEL.

A Mamo PTB yields amazing performance gains for a very small investment.
Old 12-31-2018, 07:24 AM   #37
Alain

Drives: 2016 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 ZL1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports View Post
Let me know what you find out....I would be very surprised if it were different as I have sold quite a few TB's to 2019' ZL1 and Z06 owners.

Did some digging online and there is very little available info on the newer 2019 parts.

Going to email my GM Rep and should have a firm answer regarding that by the middle of the week

Guys I appreciate all the positive comments and I hope I offered up some information that help more of you better understand what's going on. Its not a software problem.....its a hardware issue and thankfully its inexpensive and easy to replace!

Cheers,
Tony
www.mamomotorsports.com
I’ll let you know what I came up with.

If the throttle bodies are the same, where do you think the difference in throttle response comes from?

I’m eagered to hear what your GM rep says later In the week. Don’t forget to post that.

2018 ZL1 1LE/Red hot

2019 Shellby GT 350R/ Oxford white/ Matte Black Stripes/ Carbon Fiber Dash/ Electronics Package #413
Alain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 08:49 AM   #38
ZL14ME

Drives: 2018 ZL1 M6
Quote:

Family 1st

The fact that I’m laying around on vacation (picking around on this site) while you’re out laying it down for us all is humbling.

Thanks man! Really appreciate your service.
ZL14ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 09:03 AM   #39
kwav8r
Flyin NOE

Drives: 2018 ZL1 (A10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman View Post
IMHO, smoothing out intake flow is as important and likely more important than smoothing outflow. Fluid (air, water) dynamics is a big part of what I do.

Straightening and smoothing intake air sets the performance stage for the big three of internal combustion; air, fuel and spark.

Most of us think nothing about spending thousands to smooth out exhaust resistance and turbulence with headers and free flow exhaust systems. Doing the same for intake is just as critical for performance gains. With that said, your LT4 has to breathe in, before it exhales.

Some background; The build and delivery of my Z was delayed for many, many months. During that painful impediment, I had time to establish relationships with a few performance and cosmetic vendors. One of those was Tony Mamo.

Tony responded to every one of my (many) emails within 12 hours and some within an hour. He thoroughly answered every one of my questions and addressed all of my concerns. Top shelf customer service.

A TM PTB was a no brainer for me. An OEM TB flow bench tested, then ported by a recognized expert. A 15 minute install, or switch back to stock.

Throttle response is greatly improved, more linear and predictable.. Tip in is significantly more predictable in all PTMs.

IMHO the significantly improved throttle response alone, is worth the price of admission. My opinions are based on feel, my car has not seen the dyno.

There was a question about idle hunting; Full disclosure, in my discussions with Tony, I mentioned my desire for an aggressively ported TB without fear of throwing codes. Though my ECU hunted on the first 2 cold starts, I have not experienced any "hunting since... and there has never been a CEL.

A Mamo PTB yields amazing performance gains for a very small investment.
Well said and I couldn't agree more.
kwav8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 09:42 AM   #40
misterjaayy

Drives: 2019 CTS-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicul15 View Post
Tony can you explain how the untuned ecm responds to the different air curve per throttle position? What happens with the timing and why is there a limit to how much material is removed.
This please. Also, do the V3s have the same stock TB as the 6th gen ZL1? I’m guessing it’s all coming from the same parts bin but just curious.
misterjaayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 10:42 AM   #41
ZL1 1LE
@zle_blackwing

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman View Post
A 15 minute install
Did you drop a bolt too?

Seriously, I couldn’t agree more.
Old 12-31-2018, 11:09 AM   #42
~Jb

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports View Post
Try one of my ported TB's.....you will have like four or five scenarios to work with as the TB is much easier to modulate....no "learning" involved as the throttle will behave like it always should have.

Guys.....there is no software patch for a mechanical airflow issue with the TB....in out of the box trim it's a really poor design from the standpoint of properly metering airflow

It was an inexpensive TB that GM already had on their shelves for low performance truck applications that got the nod on your 6th Gen Camaros as well as 7th Gen Vette's....a total bean counter move by GM. This is a fact and honestly it is so poorly designed it shouldn't have even gotten the nod on truck engine putting out half the output of the what you guys are dealing with. Those who have seen these up close and personal with any clue of the physics involved in laminar airflow would agree I assure you.

The main issue is the huge lip or ridge around the entire perimeter of the throttle bore housing and the amount the throttle blade has to move to finally clear the ridge and uncover additional airflow so the engine can respond. That's the lag or bog your feeling.....your pushing on the pedal more but not much is happening. Sure....the blade is physically opening more and operating correctly but due to the poor shape of the housing bore it doesn't really uncover any additional air until it moves 10-15% more than it should and then it happens quickly so the throttle is not very easy to modulate.

That's one of the huge benefits of my ported TB.....the modulation of the throttle is improved in a huge way especially in the lower throttle positions.

The fact when its done the more streamlined shape flows 15% more air allows the engine to generate more power ad more torque.....another huge win fr modest dollars spent and 10 minutes of yuor time installing it.

For the guys that posted in this thread not thinking they have an issue, I will send you a TB and take it back on my dime (full refund including freight which I usually don't do) just to get your honest assessment of the product. I think you will be very surprised to feel what a properly shaped TB can do for you.

Make sure you take a long hard look at what the stock TB looks like before installing mine.....the light bulb in your head will go off immediately when you do.

You have nothing to lose and all to gain.....not too many performance shops offer you this type of scenario.....take advantage of it. You will love how much easier the car drives and how much more responsive it is with the modded TB. For the type of money we are discussing (under $400 shipped), it doesn't get any better.

Happy Holidays.....cant believe its 2019 in a few days!

-Tony
661-714-1317
www.mamomotorsports.com

Tony,

First, great explanation. I am one of those few 18' ZL1 owners not experiencing problems with takeoff bog, but the way you are explaining it is completely correct, and honestly just common sense. The TB's from 18' to 19' could, in fact be different, but from my examination, (I inspected and test drove both the 18' and 19') before buying my 18' is that the TB's are exactly the same, which is what led me to believe that there was possibly a software fix added to the 19's. Then again, I test drove the 18' and the 19' back to back and did not experience this issue that others are discussing here on either model.

With all that said, I had still planned to add your TB to my ZLE in the future. I will shoot you a PM and see if we can work something out sooner than later.

Thanks for all your insight!
~Jb is offline   Reply With Quote