Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-01-2019, 09:39 AM   #29
Ray-J

Drives: 2018 2.0t Camaro RS 1LT
Some people don't understand the mechanics behind certain things so they go into a tissy when faced with a job that seems overwhelming to them.

Let me give some advise. If in a year someone comes onto this board looking to perform this action and does a search what do you want them to find. Detailed information about if someone has done it before, why they couldn't, and/or what knowledge a member provided on the issue. I would because it is better than finding a stream of post like "that's stupid", "that's moronic", "he's a troll trying to pull our leg", "this is dumb", "buy a new car", etc.

Look abhorrent and abnormal behavior has become normalized. Perhaps that is why some can not recognize it. It has become their norm to act out in a certain way. If your a "car guy" you try to provide help. The forum is a place for support and knowledge and sharing what you have done. Unfortunately it is also an outlet for others. I know a roof is not a big issue. I know this. To some they have a melt down. Now our roofs have a different process for putting it on. That is the information that he can use when trying to resolve his query. It doesn't call for all that extra stuff. It also doesn't call for attacked when someone doesn't like your opinions. Everyone has those no body care about those.

Now I'm done with it. I also realize what feeds some on the internet.

2018 Camaro 2.0t Automatic
Ray-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 04:30 PM   #30
JaxChris

Drives: '16 2SS GD1 MX0 NPP F55 IO6
If the roof of the Camaro is cut or compromised, because of the laser-brazed installation method, the vehicle is totaled or considered salvaged by most insurance companies. GM doesn't even allow their dealers to install aftermarket sunroof kits on the 6th gen Camaro, without voiding the entire vehicle warranty.

If you want a sunroof so bad, trade it for one that has it from the factory.
JaxChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2023, 07:03 PM   #31
gigo980

Drives: Camaro RS
Find a crashed camaro with a sunroof, cut the whole entire roof of on both your and the crashed camaro and then find someone that is good at welding. I dont know what this would cost in america but in lithuania you could get all of this done for 1000-1500€
gigo980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 12:00 AM   #32
olrocker

Drives: People crazy with my sexiness
I know this is an old thread but some clarity is required to keep further inquiring minds set straight with facts. Installing an aftermarket sunroof, while technically possible with a LOT of money and a shop willing to overlook engineering limitations and throwing away any regard for safety, it is HIGHLY advised to absolutely NEVER attempt it:

1. The roof on the Alpha chassis is part of the entire physical support and engineered structure of the car. Cutting it, no matter how well a shop cad reweld and reassemble, will severely and permanently weaken the structure and increase safety risks. Reputable shops will tell you to get lost. I would NEVER give my business to a shop if I found out they were willing to take on such a project.

2. The roof panels on both moonroof and non-moonroof cars are laser sealed to the body using a process patented by GM for this specific chassis, eliminating gutter weld points. Ask me how I know no other car on the planet uses the process GM uses on this particular chassis via PM and I’ll give you better hints.

3. There’s a roll cage in the sub structure. Merely cutting and swapping the roof won’t be enough.

4. Factory moonroof control runs through the BCM. It’s not just a switch that connects to 12 volts. If your car doesn’t have a moonroof, it also does not have the correlating BCM setup to operate the moonroof nor the correct wiring harness. You’ll need to also buy all of that from a doner car. But because BCMs are so specific, it must be the exact trim/engine/option spec that YOUR car was built with with the sole additional option being a moonroof.
Sharkskin/Light gray
Moonroof/Navi/NPP/Mag Ride/Red Brake Calipers
Gray painted split spoke wheels
Illuminated footwells/illuminated bowtie
olrocker is offline   Reply With Quote