Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-28-2023, 12:06 PM   #1
CamaroGen6

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS
Anyone know what is causing this steering wheel squeak? (Video)

I have this annoying steering wheel squeak on my 2SS that is always present when turning the wheel very slightly. At higher speed, the squeak is present when making minor adjustments to keep the car straight. The noise dissipates and goes away with more steering.

I took the airbag out to see of I could pinpoint where the noise is coming from but haven't been able to figure it out. Has anyone else encountered this and know what I need to do to stop this squeak, aside from replacing the whole steering wheel?

https://youtube.com/shorts/WtnCjDdkXmI?feature=shared
Old 09-28-2023, 03:54 PM   #2
CalgaryZL1

Drives: 2020 Chevy Camaro ZL1
My guess is it’s your airbag clock spring for some strange reason, and that sits on top of your steering wheel angle sensor. maybe the two are creating friction between each other because they will slightly move independent of each other. with your air bag out try getting some silicone spray and with the supplied nozzle straw just apply it in any openings where you can see the clock spring through the steering wheel. That’s what I would do. The silicone spray will absolutely not harm anything. And also after watching the video a second time it’s like your steering wheel is loose. You may need to get a T50 torques bit and see if you can tighten centre bolt down, it’s hard to see in that video

Last edited by CalgaryZL1; 09-28-2023 at 04:12 PM.
CalgaryZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air bag, clockspring, squeak, steering wheel