Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-15-2020, 02:00 PM   #29
Roostie
all it takes is cash

Drives: 2018 LS V6 1LE; E350 wagon; Model3
I don't doubt the Jeff's Konis are great, but they aren't budget at $2600. Plus he needs struts for core, there is a 3-4 week lead time, and drilling is needed to fit the 22mm piston rod.
https://propartsusa.com/products/cop...aro-ss-1le-zl1
I know Bret at YawSport, I can recommend him. When we spoke, he didn't have any silver bullet for the budget Camaro driver. There's Bilstein which he can't revalve, there's GM, or he could build something off a Koni unit, in which case Jeff's price is probably the point of entry.
Another non-budget option is Guy Ankeny who builds Penskes, but my understanding is that they're not suitable for DD. I only heard that, I don't know it to be true.
Roostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 08:42 PM   #30
WAM

Drives: Pending
I've heard back from Bret. He said the Bilstein PSS coilovers look good to him, height adjustable, and he thinks he can revalve should it become necessary. Bret knows his way around an autocross car. Has one of the fastest Street Mod Front cars in the country.

So Bilstein seems a viable competitor to the GM lowering kit.
WAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 11:20 PM   #31
Roostie
all it takes is cash

Drives: 2018 LS V6 1LE; E350 wagon; Model3
That's good news. I didn't know a Bilstein coilover kit was available - last I checked it was only shocks and struts.
Looks like the Bilstein kit is a little cheaper than the GM one. Only downside of the Bilstein kit is that it's one kit fits all, whereas the GM kit has different part numbers for different engines. With Bret to tune it, I'm sure it will be good. I am eager to hear how this turns out for you because with your experience, I think you'll be able to provide reliable information about how effective it is. I want to upgrade my suspension and talked to Bret about it earlier this year, but held off because of a COVID pay cut and associated uncertainty.
Roostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 09:45 AM   #32
5inn

Drives: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roostie View Post
Another non-budget option is Guy Ankeny who builds Penskes, but my understanding is that they're not suitable for DD. I only heard that, I don't know it to be true.
What makes you say that? I know a few people who drive Penskes on the street (as well as autox). I think the only reason not to DD them is money, as they are not cheap.
Old 08-20-2020, 12:49 PM   #33
WAM

Drives: Pending
The Penke's are totally custom. Some customers want no-compromise competition valving and those might tend to be not street friendly. I expect Guy would do whatever you request. Also, not all people agree on what is streetable. And don't all live on the same quality roads.

But I'm going to stay with my thinking that Penske's and ProPart Konis are not consistent with a budget package. Your call may differ.
WAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 11:44 PM   #34
PedalFaster

Drives: BMW M3
High-end monotubes also aren't built to provide years of street use without being rebuilt. Depending on who you ask, they may need to be rebuilt as frequently as annually.
Old 08-24-2020, 07:09 PM   #35
joelster

Drives: '94 Z28+ '15 Z/28
Just for clarification the original Yoks were banned because their tread depth was too low at 6/32nds brand new. Now they've all been redone with 7 or 8/32nds tread depth, and are all legal.

Also, the GM turbo's were relatively cheap at under $300 or so. I heard $278???? The GM team would smoke them because of some anti-lag stuff they programmed into the computer. Basically keeping it in boost when they lifted off the gas, so it was instantly back on, when they got back on the gas. Hard on turbo's but lowered the times quite a bit. Must be nice to have the unlimited inventory of parts lol.
1979 Y84 Trans Am
1986 IROC-Z
joelster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 07:35 AM   #36
foshjowler

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T, 91 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelster View Post
Just for clarification the original Yoks were banned because their tread depth was too low at 6/32nds brand new. Now they've all been redone with 7 or 8/32nds tread depth, and are all legal.

Also, the GM turbo's were relatively cheap at under $300 or so. I heard $278???? The GM team would smoke them because of some anti-lag stuff they programmed into the computer. Basically keeping it in boost when they lifted off the gas, so it was instantly back on, when they got back on the gas. Hard on turbo's but lowered the times quite a bit. Must be nice to have the unlimited inventory of parts lol.
That may be at cost to them. Looking at the GM Part Center online, the turbo is $864, and at ZZP it's $500 (may be rebuilt). The turbo lag is pretty significant, so I can see where it would make a significant difference in time.

Youtube Channel

foshjowler is offline   Reply With Quote