Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-07-2018, 04:37 PM   #113
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
That is a good point. I have not had the alignment checked yet...
If your factory alignment is anywhere near spec, it would be a miracle, and possibly the first on this forum to witness it.

The Performance Supplement recommended Track alignment is transformative, like a good alignment always is. Even then, it's not enough front camber for regular track work, but it is a solid base-line.
Old 08-07-2018, 04:45 PM   #114
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
If your factory alignment is anywhere near spec, it would be a miracle, and possibly the first on this forum to witness it.

The Performance Supplement recommended Track alignment is transformative, like a good alignment always is. Even then, it's not enough front camber for regular track work, but it is a solid base-line.
+1!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 11:48 PM   #115
Gt3cup

Drives: Bmw f80 m3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Allow me to pitch in with some feedback, which you may find helpful in addition to OP's comments.
Having said that i dont judge cars based on their street performance as i never speed on public roads, or drag folks at the lights.

So speaking of the car from a dual dd and track perspective: it is awesome and comfy to drive as a dd regardless of distances involved. Because of trick MRC. Enuf said imo.

On a track the car is an absolute gem and all things being equal (as in tire type: streets or slicks) it runs with big dogs - none excepted - as long as a track doesn't favor hp with long straights. On the latter type venues you will wave good bye to the likes of GT3s, Z06s etc. If other drivers are less experienced/capable/willing: you may catch them again in the twisties. But it will be very much track layout dependent. Bottom line this car corners amazingly well even on stock tires (which i like a lot btw having tried 2 other top brands).

Bottom line: for the money, in this price bracket there is nothing that even comes remotely close to this car. Id even go further and double+++ the price bracket and say this car excels against the likes of M4s and GT4, where it comes down to a driver skill.

But, and this is an important "but" to consider: if you want to run with big dogs, get a ZL1 and 200hp/tq extra.
For the price, this is still an incredible bargain yet a jump in performance is very significant. ZL1 is really an SS 1LE close twin with much more power. And if staying with GT3s and Z06s on long straights is a priority, then it would be money well spent. Unless GM sticks more power in the SS come 2020 (as rumors are suggesting) that will be my next car. Not because i dont absolutely love my SS 1LE. But because a car with a weight to power ratio of 6 vs 8 is even more fun

Having said all that, i am having great fun and pace and this is NOT to suggest the car lacks power by any means. But given GM offers a big brother option at price levels much lower than Vette GS - it is worth comparing them both to make a choice thats right for you.
NB i am actually glad i got an SS1le first, as it is a very special car and the value is simply amazing.

Hope it helps!
Thank you very much for the in depth response . I have already set myself up for the "lack of power" . Crazy to say that about a 455 hp car . I plan to add some things to help in that department anyways but just the bang for the buck it seems to be the best way to go .
Gt3cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 11:54 PM   #116
50MileSmile

Drives: 2023 2SS, 2018 1SS 1LE, 1993 Z/28
Quote:

Does the track alignment cause any strange behavior on the street?
50MileSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 06:16 AM   #117
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50MileSmile View Post
It shouldn't.
The main change is more negative camber, which will only increase wear the inside of the tire over extended street driving. Car will behave normal.

The other change is a more precise toe adjustment which is closer to zero than street. Street has a little more toe in which helps the car go straight, where Track has less toe in that allows a little more wander and quicker turn in during a corner.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:06 AM   #118
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gt3cup View Post
Thank you very much for the in depth response . I have already set myself up for the "lack of power" . Crazy to say that about a 455 hp car . I plan to add some things to help in that department anyways but just the bang for the buck it seems to be the best way to go .
I wouldnt say the car lacks in power. It simply isnt as fast as a ZL1 or Vette Z06, GT3 etc. Then again it doesnt cost as much either. Bone stock this car has no equal in its price bracket and its performance easily matches cars costing twice as much. So nope, this car aint slow by any means!

It is also important to realize the power delivery will vary dependent on drive mode chosen: by design. And those are rather complex given the number of choices available hence worthy of familiarization before casting a verdict

Another info tid bit: GM fully warrants these cars stock (and Vettes) for track duty with zero questions asked.
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:59 AM   #119
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50MileSmile View Post
Not whatsoever. The car will have improved steering feel, minimized rear-end side-stepping over big bumps, and overall improved predictability over the haphazard alignment from the factory.
Old 08-09-2018, 11:00 AM   #120
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Not whatsoever. The car will have improved steering feel, minimized rear-end side-stepping over big bumps, and overall improved predictability over the haphazard alignment from the factory.
I haven't done mine yet, but I'm sure it will be lucky to be all in the green before adjustments. I'm almost certain the right rear is toed out at the least, sure the front toe is out and the camber probably all over the place.