Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 05-23-2020, 03:05 PM   #1
GM Lifer

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS in Red Hot
I Want Longer Tire Life

Okay, lets start a tire argument. I've stayed with the OEM Goodyears, but I'm getting tired of buying tires and would like something that looks good, handles well . . . but which I don't have to replace every two years. Oh yeah--and it would be nice if they didn't cost an arm and a leg. There's a bewildering number of choices on Discount Tire's website. Help me narrow it down, please.
GM Lifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 03:10 PM   #2
Soleil

Drives: Camaro 50th anniversary edition
Excuse me but it make absolutely no sense to buy cheap tires for such a powerful car. The rubber is the only thing which Gives you the grip you need. There is no such thing like good anD cheap in all situations (rain, dry, heat....)
Soleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 03:47 PM   #3
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
You can find several brands of performance tires with treadwear ratings 300 and above as compared to the stock GYs that is of course if you are still running the runflats. Michelin and Continental are good brands but I will have to agree that why compromise on tires for a performance car like the SS. Tires with higher treadwear ratings are what you are looking for that will last many more miles than the stock tires.��
Old 05-23-2020, 08:05 PM   #4
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
I have Michelin AS3's. They're not bad at all. Handle relatively well for an all season, fairly quiet. The rears were on the car a year ago when I bought it, they're still good. Mind you, I have not, and do not intend on any burn outs.

I'll drop the money on summer tires when get the wheels I want. When this whole virus thing passes and we are back to actually making money. (whenever that is going to be)
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 08:11 PM   #5
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
Try using nitrogen instead of compressed air. It will improve your tire life.
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 09:37 PM   #6
Camaro_QC

Drives: 08 Tiburon GS, 2018 Camaro 2.0T
This is the triangle problem...

You have 3 criteria here:

Durability (as lasting as possible)
Price (as low as possible)
Performance (best handling as possible)

Here how it works; you're only allowed to pick 2. Nothing more.

Want something that doesn't cost much and handles well, they won't last.

Want something that doesn't cost much but last long, they won't handle well.

Want something that handles well and last long, you will pay the price.

It is the same with forced induction. Your criteria are power, reliability and cost. Cheap performance part won't last while pricy and quality parts will last. And something that doesn't cost much and that lasts won't provide you that much power.

That's the struggle of car enthusiasts...

You have to chose which one you will have to sacrifice.

Good luck!
1100 - 5/08/2018 | 3800 - 6/18/2018
2000 - 5/09/2018 | 4200 - 6/21/2018
3000 - 5/28/2018 | 5000 - 6/27/2018
6000 - 6/29/2018
Camaro_QC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 09:49 PM   #7
wwiiavfan

Drives: 2017 1SS Hyper Blue
I’ll throw in a plug for Nitto 555g2 as a decent compromise. They are (comparatively) low cost, have somewhere around 80% of the grip of the OEM super cars, and are night and day difference in ride quality, control in rain, and tire wear (so far for me at 5k miles - Nittos still look new while OEM’s at 5k looked about half gone.)
However you will need at a minimum to carry a plug kit and compressor, cause they aren’t run flats. Which you will probably run into with your criteria anyway.
wwiiavfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 09:51 PM   #8
supersportss

Drives: 2019 SS
I have the AS3's as well, they do ok, I miss the runflats but no the harsh ride.
supersportss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 10:25 PM   #9
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
I'd get the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, and the Pilot Alpin PA4 N-Spec for winter if needed. Both expensive choices, but long lasting and best performance in class.
Old 05-23-2020, 10:52 PM   #10
Lazerbrainz2k3

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS - M6, NPP, MRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_QC View Post
This is the triangle problem...

You have 3 criteria here:

Durability (as lasting as possible)
Price (as low as possible)
Performance (best handling as possible)

Here how it works; you're only allowed to pick 2. Nothing more.

Want something that doesn't cost much and handles well, they won't last.

Want something that doesn't cost much but last long, they won't handle well.

Want something that handles well and last long, you will pay the price.

It is the same with forced induction. Your criteria are power, reliability and cost. Cheap performance part won't last while pricy and quality parts will last. And something that doesn't cost much and that lasts won't provide you that much power.

That's the struggle of car enthusiasts...

You have to chose which one you will have to sacrifice.

Good luck!
The thing is, you're not going to get a higher treadwear tire that handles like a Sport Cup 2, or even the Assymetric 3. If you understand that and your driving style doesn't demand those high performance tires anyway (no track days), making that compromise there opens up a window of possibility where you can compromise on the other factors and perhaps find a fairly happy middle ground.

It's not like the OEM tired do that compromise all that great either - i replaced mine with Pilot Sport 4S's and am much happier with the ride quality and grip, especially in rain, and that's a direct competitor to the OEM tires. However, my own driving doesn't really require max performance summer tires either, and my next set will probably be something like the AS3 instead. High performance all seasons can be a really superior choice depending on your application (as an extreme data point, look what the new Corvette base model does with them!).
Lazerbrainz2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 08:39 AM   #11
Redlinez
Shifts under load

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE rally green
I will say from experience the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S is the gold standard period. Expensive, yes, but perform as well as anything out there overall and outlast all of them. I got 28,000 miles out of my first set and did two HPDE weekends on them. I'm at novice level, may have something to do with that, but I truly did push the car.
Redlinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 08:56 AM   #12
Abubaca

Drives: 2016 SS
I've had good experiences with Continental Extreme Contact's and Nitto 555 G2's. ...I do not track my car, FWIW.
Abubaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 09:08 AM   #13
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Continental Extreme Contact Sport tires are comparable to the Michelins and have a good treadwear rating and also are cheaper in price than the Michelins. Seems as if the Michelins though have a bigger following on this forum as compared to the Continentals. Both are good performance tires in my opinion.
Old 05-24-2020, 09:26 AM   #14
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChrisLS3 View Post
I have Michelin AS3's. They're not bad at all. Handle relatively well for an all season, fairly quiet. The rears were on the car a year ago when I bought it, they're still good. Mind you, I have not, and do not intend on any burn outs.

I'll drop the money on summer tires when get the wheels I want. When this whole virus thing passes and we are back to actually making money. (whenever that is going to be)
I liked these tires on my 2017 4cyl Turbo Mustang (lightly modified) but they would scare the hell out of me on my 2020 SS. They could barley keep traction with my 350/420, no way they stand up to the 455/455. But you have them on your Camaro and I do not so, your opinion counts more
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote