Homepage Garage Wiki Register Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum


JUICEDMOTORSPORTS


Post Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2019, 09:33 PM   #43
Dixie ZL1
NOXQCES ZL1
 
Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Huntsville AL
Posts: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlarsen462 View Post
Huh, I actually get this on my ZL1 1LE which has brakes unique to it amongst the models I believe? Going slowly down onramps in heavy traffic it's really bad...like a howling tone that really makes your teeth quiver.

I wonder if it's the same phenomenon? Even does it after I bedded in the brakes really well.

I notice it much more on hotter days I'm guessing that's what they mean by "climate change" lol
All ZL1’s have the same brakes, but they are different than the SS 1LE addressed in this bulletin.
Dixie ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 01:35 AM   #44
Nick801
 
Drives: ‘18 Camaro 2SS
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 30
I am a 2018 SS and had brake squeal since got the car in September at 4k miles and im now at 8k. Does this TSB under my factory warranty replace my front rotors if i call them and ask about it?
Nick801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 03:26 AM   #45
Petrol Head
 
Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 654
No one should be telling you brake squeal is normal with high performance brakes - it is not! There’s plenty of high performance cars on the road - Corvettes, Porsches, GT-Rs, Lotus, Supras, Audis, you name it - with large, heavy duty Brembo high performance brakes that do not squeal.
__________________
2019 2SS 6 speed
Shadow Gray Metallic/Light Gray interior; Mag Ride; Moonroof; Dual Mode Exhaust; Straight spoke wheels
Mods so far: illuminated footwell lighting, Homelink, Gen5 DIY radar detector direct wire harness, painted calipers red, installed CAGS override harness
Petrol Head is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 12:58 PM   #46
Okie Noggin
 
Okie Noggin's Avatar
 
Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: British Columbia
Posts: 11
My brakes were squealing at 10,000 miles. Took the TSB in to the dealer and they replaced the rotors. No problem. They squealed for a bit longer until the contaminants on the pads wore off and it is been great ever since.
Okie Noggin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 05:16 PM   #47
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter
 
Norm Peterson's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX, 01 Maxima
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Eastern Time Zone
Posts: 6,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
No one should be telling you brake squeal is normal with high performance brakes - it is not! There’s plenty of high performance cars on the road - Corvettes, Porsches, GT-Rs, Lotus, Supras, Audis, you name it - with large, heavy duty Brembo high performance brakes that do not squeal.
Lots more goes into brake noise than just the names on the various components involved. Exact pad compound might be #1. Rotor vibration characteristics - probably involving structural damping the way this TSB appears to be handling it (with high-carbon rotors) - also matters. Somebody ought to check to see if there are any differences in vane count/orientation and other rotor dimensions, as those things will affect vibration behavior as well..

The closer your pad formulation gets to an all-out track compound, the more likely it is that you'll get some noise during low-energy stops along with the improved braking performance under repeated heavy braking. So there's a degree of noise sensitivity based on how hard the pads are being squeezed against the rotors. I keep reading here where at least the SS/1LE pads seem to be at least adequate up to light track duty, so I'm not particularly surprised here.


Norm
__________________
'08 GT coupe 5M (the occasional track toy)
'19 WRX 6M (the family sedan) and an '01 Maxima 5M (the spare)
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 06:49 PM   #48
Petrol Head
 
Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Lots more goes into brake noise than just the names on the various components involved. Exact pad compound might be #1. Rotor vibration characteristics - probably involving structural damping the way this TSB appears to be handling it (with high-carbon rotors) - also matters. Somebody ought to check to see if there are any differences in vane count/orientation and other rotor dimensions, as those things will affect vibration behavior as well..

The closer your pad formulation gets to an all-out track compound, the more likely it is that you'll get some noise during low-energy stops along with the improved braking performance under repeated heavy braking. So there's a degree of noise sensitivity based on how hard the pads are being squeezed against the rotors. I keep reading here where at least the SS/1LE pads seem to be at least adequate up to light track duty, so I'm not particularly surprised here.


Norm
As I said, there’s plenty of cars out there with brakes just like ours or even beefier on the road with no noise in light duty use. There was/is something not right with the brakes on Camaros that have this issue.
__________________
2019 2SS 6 speed
Shadow Gray Metallic/Light Gray interior; Mag Ride; Moonroof; Dual Mode Exhaust; Straight spoke wheels
Mods so far: illuminated footwell lighting, Homelink, Gen5 DIY radar detector direct wire harness, painted calipers red, installed CAGS override harness
Petrol Head is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 08:02 AM   #49
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter
 
Norm Peterson's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX, 01 Maxima
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Eastern Time Zone
Posts: 6,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
As I said, there’s plenty of cars out there with brakes just like ours or even beefier on the road with no noise in light duty use. There was/is something not right with the brakes on Camaros that have this issue.
I'm not hearing that all Camaro owners are having this problem, so this might be an instance where Chevy only tried to cut everything just a little too close for the Camaro where maybe they intentionally played it safer for the Corvette. Even for only $10/car it wouldn't surprise me to find out that Chevy was willing to risk having to fix a few Camaros.



I have no idea what the 18" mentioned in the TSB refers to, or whether it could be a typo.


Norm
__________________
'08 GT coupe 5M (the occasional track toy)
'19 WRX 6M (the family sedan) and an '01 Maxima 5M (the spare)
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Post Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.