Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-08-2017, 05:01 PM   #15
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
Not really an apples to apples comparison.

The BF total polish and seal is a "Cleaner Sealant". It contains a very light abrasive and solvent to clean the paint, and a sealant for protection. Normal durability is 4-6 months.

Essence is a finishing polish, filler, and SI02 protectant all in one. It's capable of removing light defects, as it contains the same abrasives that are in the Carpro Reflect finishing polish, just not as much of them, and also fills defects. It bonds to the paint and provides protection up to a year.

The Crystal seal is a WOWA (wipe on walk away) polymer sealant. It contains the same polymers that are in BF's most durable sealant Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection, just not as high of a concentration, so it's not as durable. It lasts 2-3 months where the WD lasts 6 months.

Reload is a Silica sealant. It is has much greater resistance to any solvents or acids that it comes into contact with, then a polymer based sealant does. Lasts 6 months.

Not trying to say BF stuff isn't a good.

The total polish & seal is a great alternative to someone who uses cleaner wax, as it does the same thing, but provides much longer and better protection.

The Crystal seal is one of the easiest sealants you can apply, Wipe on, walk away, done. 2 months of protection for 15 minutes of easy work is a good trade off.

Essence though is a game changer when it comes to polishing your paint. Why? With only 1 slow pass you correct/fill minor defects, and add durable protection at the same time. Cuts polishing time down to nothing, also no IPA or Eraser wipe down needed before applying your LSP.

Reload is the most resistant to "acidic things" (bug splatter and bird bombs) sealant I've ever used. For a daily driver, this is a big plus.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 05:14 PM   #16
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
I don't really care if they're"apples to apples" or not, LOL, they are two combinations that are used quite a bit both here, and in other forums, esp autopia, so let's just see what happens. They also apply the exact same way.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 05:40 PM   #17
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
Not trying to be argumentative Glen, just honest.

There really isn't any other product like Essence on the market. Not saying the BF total polish and seal isn't good, it's just designed for a totally different purpose.

Crystal Seal doesn't have the durability of Reload, a better comparison would be BF's Wet Diamond, which is far more durable then CS.

For a durability test using the stated products, Carpro will win easily.

I would think Wet Diamond would last as long as Reload though, based upon having used both.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 06:56 PM   #18
bpang1234
You can only YOLO once.

Drives: '16 2SS & '15 Subaru Forester
I like the spray when wet one you showed earlier...whatever is easiest is what I want to use. Would really like to get some time back from car care to do other stuff like hang out with my daughter before she gets too old to want to hang out with me (which is already happening).
-1st Car to have the "full" SEMA High Performance Graphics kit from 6LEDesigns.
-1st Car to have the 6LEDesigns Blade Spoiler.
-Borla S-Type w/ custom H-Pipe
-Procharger P-1X Stage 2
bpang1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 08:48 AM   #19
tvander

Drives: Not yet
glen - could you use a silica product as the final step on top of the polymer or do the two products not work well together?

Thanks
tvander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 09:19 AM   #20
Glen e

The silicas need to bond with the paint, there shouldn't be anything between them and the paint, like a polymer. But that's no big deal, wash the car with Dawn, and slap on the new stuff.

But like I said don't get Lured into "I have to buy the new stuff"… The changes here are minute . If you own Polymer, use them up and then switch. Your wife will never know you made a switch. There is a price diff; blackfire $40 Carpro $59.

Last edited by Glen e; 06-11-2017 at 09:50 AM.
Old 06-11-2017, 11:12 PM   #21
tvander

Drives: Not yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
The silicas need to bond with the paint, there shouldn't be anything between them and the paint, like a polymer. But that's no big deal, wash the car with Dawn, and slap on the new stuff.

But like I said don't get Lured into "I have to buy the new stuff"… The changes here are minute . If you own Polymer, use them up and then switch. Your wife will never know you made a switch. There is a price diff; blackfire $40 Carpro $59.
Thanks!
tvander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 08:47 AM   #22
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
Well - reading this and your attached pdf files convinced me to drink some more of the Glen e Kool-Aid (I joined the rinseless wash and the Hydro 2 wheel clubs already) and buy the auto scrub sponge and the Carpro Essence and Reload combo. I had never used either of the polymer or silica products before so I went with silica since it looks to give the longest lasting protection. I got to work yesterday and used all these new products. I must say I have one shiny and smooth paint surface now. Thanks again Glen!

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 09:17 AM   #23
SSTony

Drives: SS Camaro
Send a message via AIM to SSTony
I applied 3 coats of Blackfire Crystal seal. it not bad. It did dry with streaks in some spots but just use a microfiber to rub it in.

Looks amazing but I want to see how long it really lasts
Old 06-12-2017, 09:29 AM   #24
Glen e

Here's the real deal on CS
Run it through a brush car wash every week and it'll last a month
Do a hand wash with a forgiving soap and it'll last three months,
do a weekly Rinseless and it'll last 4-5 months.
Old 06-12-2017, 11:40 AM   #25
SSTony

It is amazing the shine you get with Black fire but now you see smudges a mile away
Old 06-12-2017, 11:42 AM   #26
Glen e

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSTony View Post
It is amazing the shin

e you get with Black fire but now you see smudges a mile away
Yup, That's why I carry a MF in the trunk for the 1st week afterwards....
Old 06-12-2017, 11:52 AM   #27
SSTony

same
Old 06-18-2017, 06:51 PM   #28
Weege

Drives: 2017 2SS convertible M6, NPP, MRC
Glenn, I've been awaiting the results of your side by side test on this thread. The science proposed by others was interesting, but your real life test of 2 commonly used systems is what I'm more interested​ in. I'm guessing it's gonna take a while for any differences to show. Are there any preliminary observations? What happened after the first rain? Thanks for all your shared wisdom.
No atmosphere.
Weege is offline   Reply With Quote