Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 05-20-2020, 01:39 PM   #15
mikeman
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceWayne1LE View Post
Just to be clear, I got stuck behind a f***** scavenger tuck full of pea gravel. I was a good 10 cars back. But regardless it bugs the hell outta me. Seems like everyone is on the same page that a respray is a good route. Also not sure the dealer is gonna even hear me on a warranty issue regarding paint, but who knows. Anyone in the bay are with experience with other shops would be greatly appreciated. I’m looking at J.P. auto body in south San Francisco. Owner seemed very knowledgeable and he’s a Vette owner
The only thing I would be concerned about is the PPF peeling off the repaint when it comes time to replace it after a couple of years. However, maybe by then, you will have already traded in the car.
mikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 02:11 PM   #16
DIYguy

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Anyone in the bay are with experience with other shops would be greatly appreciated. I’m looking at J.P. auto body in south San Francisco. Owner seemed very knowledgeable and he’s a Vette owner
FWIW, because it is likely to be too far away for you (I'm not totally sure of where you are located), but we had an absolutely excellent experience with Bonfante Collision Center in Gilroy a few years ago.
They are total pros and I would travel out of my way to go back to them again.
I caution that they are not the cheapest, but you definitely get what you pay for in this case.

If it were mine though I'd consider repairing it myself using materials from www.automotivetouchup.com.
I have used their products for a couple of repairs (one small, one not so small) and had really good luck with them.
Just be careful to do the clear coat all the way to the body lines or panel breaks because no matter what anyone claims it is almost impossible to blend it mid-panel or in spots.
But it is usually pretty easy to blend the base coat.

As DC5 said, I would also recommend removing the cover and working on it separately.
Old 05-20-2020, 03:34 PM   #17
metros11

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Quote:
Also not sure the dealer is gonna even hear me on a warranty issue regarding paint, but who knows.
It doesn't hurt to ask and could save you some money. I'd recommend it, worth a trip to the dealer.
metros11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 03:46 AM   #18
Frankie18SS

Drives: 18 Camaro 2SS, 07 Saturn Ion
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure black is easy to match. I think the lighter colors are harder to match. I hit a deer with mine 3 weeks after it was delivered and I was naturally freaked out that it wouldn't look the same. The bumper honestly looked better than it did from the factory.
Old 05-26-2020, 11:49 AM   #19
Val Walkinshaw
L8ap3x

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie18SS View Post
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure black is easy to match. I think the lighter colors are harder to match. I hit a deer with mine 3 weeks after it was delivered and I was naturally freaked out that it wouldn't look the same. The bumper honestly looked better than it did from the factory.

Depends.
If it has a metallic flake it's challenging. Paint lays differently based on heat, gun, shop technique. Plastic body components and metal panels also accept the paint deposit differently.

Bumpers are painted off the car. So variations in how they lay or are hung effect how the flake appears.

Honestly a good shop won't have a problem but poor quality to me may be someone else's acceptable.
Val Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 01:31 PM   #20
Altered Carbon
Ghost Spawn

Drives: Camaro
Just b sure to check out all the local body shops and get quotes on whatever mile range from wherever you live. Depends on how much you love your camaro! Look at their work and if it's a little more expensive, it might be a "get what you pay for" situation and be worth it. But you may find a cheaper shop that does fantastic work as well. I would just look at their work like I said. Good luck!
Altered Carbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 05:49 PM   #21
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Greg View Post
Get it done by a good body shop and it won’t be on a Carfax report and won’t effect resale value.��
OP stated "Insurance deducible is $50" - going through insurance WILL put it on Carfax. It may very well end up raising premiums going forward. Additionally, it will make it hard to shop rates with insurance for a few years because new insurance carriers ask if you've made a claim as part of their rating process (and if you lie, they will find it and your rates will be horrible).

I just made an appointment to have the front bumper skin on my RDX repainted, out of pocket. $400. I bought it used and they comp'ed me $400 in the deal for repaint and that happened to be exactly what -my- paint guy quoted for the repair as well (and the dealer and paint guys have absolutely never worked together or are anywhere near each other).
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 06:02 PM   #22
BlackbeastSS2

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE Shock Candy
I would have either pulled over, turned off, or do a u turn. I would not follow a loaded truck full of pea gravel no matter how many cars ahead of me.
Diamond Piston & Manley Rods, Roto Fab Big Gulp
BTR Push Rods,LS7 Lifters, ARP, FI Chiller, Kirkey Seats
SJM Line Lock, Hurst Pistol Grip. 747/739 RWHP street tune - 821/794 RWHP track tune 98 octane.
2014 Mini Cooper countryman S All4 M6 daily driver
BlackbeastSS2 is offline   Reply With Quote