Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 06-19-2019, 10:35 AM   #15
USAFS197

Drives: 2018 Audi TT RS
The markups will certainly hurt the sales of these vehicles. I, for one, would be sitting inside of a GT350 at the moment if it wasn't for the dealer markups when I was in the market for another car. It wasn't that I couldn't afford the car with the markups, but it was the principle of what they were doing. I know it isn't Ford doing it directly but, their dealerships. Nonetheless, I expect this car to be a tremendous performer, especially when you're not looking through the lenses of a GM fanboy. Lets hope its performance metrics line up with the hype and expectation of this vehicle. All it does is serve to create more competition and thus, better vehicles for all enthusiasts.
About as fast as the TT RS
2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Sold
2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Sold
2019 Corvette Z06
Sold
2021 Charger Hellcat Redeye Widebody
Sold
USAFS197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 11:07 AM   #16
RyanR623

Drives: SS A8, NPP, Red Hot
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Damn, that's only 100 less torques than a ZR-1
*Than a Current ZR1... July 18th!

The S550 chassis is still awful. I'm assuming it's the same chassis or is it a new platform?
RyanR623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 11:13 AM   #17
USAFS197

Drives: 2018 Audi TT RS
Same chassis. Also, there won't be a C8 ZR1 upon launch.
About as fast as the TT RS
2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Sold
2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Sold
2019 Corvette Z06
Sold
2021 Charger Hellcat Redeye Widebody
Sold
USAFS197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 11:31 AM   #18
RyanR623

Drives: SS A8, NPP, Red Hot
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFS197 View Post
Same chassis. Also, there won't be a C8 ZR1 upon launch.
What about the Z06?
RyanR623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 11:40 AM   #19
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
when trims sports/pony cars at 1/3 of these "halo" cars can do 0-60 in 5 seconds, it really does start to look ridiculously pointless to keep pushing for higher numbers rather than create something that is objectively better for an actual existing-in-reality customer. halo cars dont interest me or excite me or impress me. power that can't be used doesn't interest me. It's funny because this is just like the laptop or phone market that advertises crazy cpu's with speeds that are amazing but they dont tell you that due to TDP throttling you'll only ever be able to use a fraction of the potential for anything longer than a couple seconds.

I'd be interested to see ford's electric mustang.

Even better, I'd be interested to hear about a pony car made for the pony car market - and what that means is:
1. a drivetrain platform that is not spec'd to it's limits from the factory so that it can be sold cheap and upgraded as the customer desires.
2. a infotainment system that uses actual open standards and standard form factors so customers can upgrade / change as desired.
3. optional everything so you can order a car without things you dont want but still get the things you do a-la-cart.
4. a promise that only cosmetic superficial changes will be made over the course of the next 10 years to the vehicle so that aftermarket companies can invest early in the design without being scared that their investment will be limited to 1-3 years and end up with no market.
5. reprogrammable bcm's for everything short of the emissions control parts that would probably have to be tightly controlled to comply with laws.

That would be something cool. 600,700 1000 hp is not saving the car. It's just more evidence that the decision people are not connected with reality and just reinforces the pessimistic view of the car's future.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 12:28 PM   #20
MATEOLT1SS

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS 10-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyblues2001 View Post
I really think Ford bothched their intelligence operations. I think Ford was initially shooting for the regular Hellcat number of 707.

But then came the Demon. And the RedEye. And the ZR1. Beating 707 no longer cuts the mustard. Ford should have anticipated this, or had some spies in the other camps. Instead they got caught off guard and had to go back to the drawing board, and look for more power.

Also, remember Ford is dealing with a lack of displacement issue. 5.2L vs. 6.2 or 6.4 means Ford is going to need a bunch more boost and RPMs to get to the same power levels as the competition, which effects reliability and driveability.

But, from the looks of it on paper, they did a good job. 760HP is a ton of power from a 5.2L. I sure hope they don't run into reliability issues like the BBQ tick or massive oil consumption that is (cough, cough) "normal". Otherwise they will be replacing engines like the GT350, Mustang GT, Focus RS, etc. Ford did some re-work on the 5.2L block that should hopefully address these issues.
I agree 100%. I know my dealership is going to mark up the hell out of it!
MATEOLT1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 12:31 PM   #21
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR623 View Post
What about the Z06?
I would think very unlikely, especially given that the C8 is a brand new engine / drive type.

next performance trim, Z06(?) - at least 1 year out.

shoot the current ZR1 is 5 years out from C7 launch.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:39 PM   #22
internationlriders

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
It would be very cool to own one of these if... the Mustang had a better record for being problem free. My colleague has a new GT and complains that once a month he's back to the dealer for another issue. He also has an C4 Corvette and says it's been very reliable in comparison. I guess it's kind of like Mclaren with reliability, it's appealing enough you completely look past all the reliability shortcomings.

"The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want."
internationlriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 12:48 PM   #23
RealG

Drives: 2024 2SS
760 is a stout number. Higher than most predicted which means Ford did a great job of calibrating expectations. It’s always a positive when you give people more than they expected not the other way around. Well done Ford.
RealG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 01:22 PM   #24
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS1 1LE
The numbers sound good, but the biggest differences between Mustangs and Camaros since the 6th gen came out have been related to handling, where the Mustang is WAY behind the Camaro. The guy from Motor Trend who compared the GT to the 1LE said something to the effect that there was about 4,000 years of difference between the two in that respect.

I want to know whether this new Mustang is going to be a dog in the handling department like the current Stangs are. If so I could care less if it has 1,000 horsepower, you're not going to be able to do anything thru the turns and if you jump on it with the little bitty wheels and tires they have you're just going to sit there and spin.
Wyzz Kydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 01:40 PM   #25
Bongos2U

Drives: Hopefully 6th gen Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyzz Kydd View Post
The numbers sound good, but the biggest differences between Mustangs and Camaros since the 6th gen came out have been related to handling, where the Mustang is WAY behind the Camaro. The guy from Motor Trend who compared the GT to the 1LE said something to the effect that there was about 4,000 years of difference between the two in that respect.

I want to know whether this new Mustang is going to be a dog in the handling department like the current Stangs are. If so I could care less if it has 1,000 horsepower, you're not going to be able to do anything thru the turns and if you jump on it with the little bitty wheels and tires they have you're just going to sit there and spin.
Motor Trend said in their Head 2 Head comparison of the Camaro SS 1LE vs. Mustang GT w/performance pack that driving the Mustang was like sitting on a stack of phone books on a water bed. Doh !!

The last GT500 had 662 horsepower. Most of the reviews stated that it was kinda scary to drive because the handling was sub-par (albeit it had a live rear axle, not IRS).

Last edited by Bongos2U; 06-19-2019 at 02:00 PM.
Bongos2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 01:52 PM   #26
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyblues2001 View Post
I think Ford may be shooting for a $69,999 to $74,999 range to try to compete price-wize with the RedEye/RedEye Widebody. But, those numbers may be hard to get to, given the content and time/effort to develop.

It will be interesting to see..

The ADM's? They make me want to puke.
I am very curious to see where the MSRP is set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyzz Kydd View Post

true Camaros have been much better handling cars. The only mustang that is dialed in as a good handling car is the GT350. Hopefully that translates to the GT500
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 02:20 PM   #27
RealG

Drives: 2024 2SS
Reality is the public does not care about handing as much as the magazines do, that’s a fact. Just look at sales. Dodge is doing fantastic just selling horse power numbers and Ford will sell all they can build at 760 H.P. handling or not.
RealG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 02:29 PM   #28
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealG View Post
Reality is the public does not care about handing as much as the magazines do, that’s a fact. Just look at sales. Dodge is doing fantastic just selling horse power numbers and Ford will sell all they can build at 760 H.P. handling or not.
dodge sells a bigger car with unethically huge financing lengths. As well as the 4door charger (though being 4d, i assume we're only talking about the challenger)

I think that sells the cars (plus the nostalgic look catering to the aging demographics for new vehicles) rather than hp numbers (especially since the majority of the sales probably belong to the v6 and not the hellcat or even the v8).
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote