Homepage Garage Wiki Register Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons


Bigwormgraphix


Post Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2020, 07:45 PM   #1
ssmike
BL1ZZRD
 
ssmike's Avatar
 
Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 7,663
Green Filter

I canít find anyone who has a drop in Green Filter in stock for the stock airbox. Everyone has them on back order. Anyone know where to get one or will a K&N be just as good? Or, are they a waste of money compared to the stock filter?
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 09:22 PM   #2
driven2exceSS

 
driven2exceSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 2SS BLK A8 Vert
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: MA
Posts: 904
Mike I have a "used" green filter available, sitting in its original box inside another box sitting on the shelf in my garage, it has aprox 2,000mi on it (only fairweather street/highway driving)... If you really "want/need" one, PM me an offer with shipping cost included ...If not, NBD
__________________
NPP, MRC, Tinted side & rear reflectors, OEM ZL1 Rockers / 3rd Brake / Darken tail lights, OEM Blk rear splash guards, Satin hood wrap, Fuse pull, Sound tube delete, Cat delete, Mamo Ported TB, Pray ported OE IM, Dry RotoFab, ARH 1 7/8 headers, E85, "Performance Dyno" Tune, BMR "pieces", "Track" alignment, Hawk DCT-70/70's w/SRF, Goodridge lines, Ti shims, Red powdered calipers, MRR M017's w/ GY SC 3's & 3R's (285/305 30's), FE4 Vert swaybars, Brake cooling ducts, ATI 10% UD, Vorshlag camber plates, OEM 1LE Splitter w/APR Ext., Velossa BIG MOUTH Ram Air, CF QA1, ZLE brakes(F)
driven2exceSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 09:25 PM   #3
enzia35


 
Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: College Station, TX
Posts: 3,121
Waste of money. Assuming replacement every 2 years with the acdelco a3223c, the Green Filter will finally pay for itself after 6 years.
__________________
'16 Camaro 1SS
'18 Miata GT
Gone: '01 Camaro, '14 Camaro, '90 Miata
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 10:45 AM   #4
OVRKLL
 
Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE...makes me go YeeeHaw!
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 574
Green Filter didn't seem to do anything for me, at least anything I could physically notice, so I finally decided to install the Roto-Fab CAI and all is good now.
__________________
The Thrill isn't around the corner, the Thrill is the corner!
So don't hesitate, just brake late!
OVRKLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 07:35 AM   #5
wnta1ss

 
Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: NH
Posts: 1,225
If you buy it expecting to get more power in your SS, then yes, it's a waste of money as far as I'm concerned. Was tested by Jannetty on an SS and the green filter gained zero hp. I had a K&N in the stock airbox of my SS before and it did not gain any performance either.
wnta1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 09:15 AM   #6
s346k

 
s346k's Avatar
 
Drives: 18 1SS 1LE
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: indiana
Posts: 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnta1ss View Post
If you buy it expecting to get more power in your SS, then yes, it's a waste of money as far as I'm concerned. Was tested by Jannetty on an SS and the green filter gained zero hp. I had a K&N in the stock airbox of my SS before and it did not gain any performance either.
IMHO, the same can be said for a rotofab on a car lacking headers. and even then idk if it's worth the money. about $100/hp at that point.
__________________
2016+ camaro: everyoneís first car
s346k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 09:40 AM   #7
KingLT1


 
KingLT1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: 46804
Posts: 3,740
There was a guy who put a Rotofab on his stock SS at the track and it went a tenth quicker with no other mods. So yea I wouldn't expect any big or noticeable gains changing anything on the air intake side for a stock car. Now once you do ported IM/TB, cat deletes or headers, then yea you will see some better gains...even more so as you do further mods that require more air flow.
__________________
2016 NGM 1SS A8
Options-[2SS Leather/NPP]
Perf. mods-[Whipple 2.9/LT4-LPE-JMS Fueling/LT5 TB/Rotofab Big Gulp/Flex Fuel/CA ORP/FM NPP Axle back]
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 11:32 AM   #8
ssmike
BL1ZZRD
 
ssmike's Avatar
 
Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 7,663
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
There was a guy who put a Rotofab on his stock SS at the track and it went a tenth quicker with no other mods. So yea I wouldn't expect any big or noticeable gains changing anything on the air intake side for a stock car. Now once you do ported IM/TB, cat deletes or headers, then yea you will see some better gains...even more so as you do further mods that require more air flow.
Good point! I didnít mention in my OP that I have LT headers with catted connection pipes, Pray ported TB, and Pray ported IM and dyno tuned. So would a Green filter perform better than a stock filter given my mods? I donít want to go RF because it seals to my airbrushed hoodliner and will mess it up. I had an AFE carbon fiber setup but I removed it for that very reason. The stock box seems to perform well but I was thinking about doing a drop in filter for a little more airflow if it helps. I originally had a CAI brand airbox but didnít like the looks and didnít seem to be any better than stock, but that was before the mods I mentioned.
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 03:25 PM   #9
s346k

 
s346k's Avatar
 
Drives: 18 1SS 1LE
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: indiana
Posts: 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmike View Post
Good point! I didn’t mention in my OP that I have LT headers with catted connection pipes, Pray ported TB, and Pray ported IM and dyno tuned. So would a Green filter perform better than a stock filter given my mods? I don’t want to go RF because it seals to my airbrushed hoodliner and will mess it up. I had an AFE carbon fiber setup but I removed it for that very reason. The stock box seems to perform well but I was thinking about doing a drop in filter for a little more airflow if it helps. I originally had a CAI brand airbox but didn’t like the looks and didn’t seem to be any better than stock, but that was before the mods I mentioned.
is the stock air box modified at all? i ask because it has been proven that cutting the bottom off of the stock air box will improve airflow. it is my experience that a rotofab and even 95mm tb will not do much for an otherwise bolt on motor.

car was:

headers
stock air box (cut)
stock tb (unported)
stock LT1 manifold (ported)

added:
rotofab (dry)
95 mm tb (unported)
msd manifold (unported)

car picked up 15 whp peak. curve was the same up to 5k then the new setup jumped up almost immediately. new setup carried power much farther (~6800 rpm). i was honestly expecting more given the fact that map kpa went from 93 to 99. i think it goes to show how well the pray ported LT1 manifold works.

edit: mike, i think you bought that manifold, didn't you? i have proof it's legit haha.
__________________
2016+ camaro: everyoneís first car
s346k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 04:41 PM   #10
ssmike
BL1ZZRD
 
ssmike's Avatar
 
Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 7,663
Quote:
Originally Posted by s346k View Post
is the stock air box modified at all? i ask because it has been proven that cutting the bottom off of the stock air box will improve airflow. it is my experience that a rotofab and even 95mm tb will not do much for an otherwise bolt on motor.

car was:

headers
stock air box (cut)
stock tb (unported)
stock LT1 manifold (ported)

added:
rotofab (dry)
95 mm tb (unported)
msd manifold (unported)

car picked up 15 whp peak. curve was the same up to 5k then the new setup jumped up almost immediately. new setup carried power much farther (~6800 rpm). i was honestly expecting more given the fact that map kpa went from 93 to 99. i think it goes to show how well the pray ported LT1 manifold works.

edit: mike, i think you bought that manifold, didn't you? i have proof it's legit haha.
Yes I did! I also bought a PP TB and really noticed a difference with that combo! No the stock airbox is not modified. Iíve seen the videos on how to do it and so Iím thinking about it. Lol!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 05:20 AM   #11
s346k

 
s346k's Avatar
 
Drives: 18 1SS 1LE
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: indiana
Posts: 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmike View Post
Yes I did! I also bought a PP TB and really noticed a difference with that combo! No the stock airbox is not modified. I’ve seen the videos on how to do it and so I’m thinking about it. Lol!
if you modify the stock air box there is a good chance you'll have to scale the maf accordingly. my car ran like poop with a cut air box before it was tuned.
__________________
2016+ camaro: everyoneís first car
s346k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 06:47 AM   #12
ssmike
BL1ZZRD
 
ssmike's Avatar
 
Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 7,663
Quote:
Originally Posted by s346k View Post
if you modify the stock air box there is a good chance you'll have to scale the maf accordingly. my car ran like poop with a cut air box before it was tuned.
Good to know! Thanks
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:43 PM   #13
MackSteelPrivateEye

 
Drives: 6 on the Flo'
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: md
Posts: 1,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmike View Post
I canít find anyone who has a drop in Green Filter in stock for the stock airbox. Everyone has them on back order. Anyone know where to get one or will a K&N be just as good? Or, are they a waste of money compared to the stock filter?
I have a K&N green drop in..they probably help but not noticable. What some do is cut the bottom out of the air box. They say its good for 10 or 12 hp with the green drop in filter.
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Post Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.