Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-05-2020, 09:16 AM   #15
VT-1LE

Drives: 2020 2SS 1LE Satin Steel Metallic
Look forward to hearing how you make out and what the true HP #’s turn out to be. I think I’ll leave my SS 1LE stock until the warranty is up. By then I’ll be used to the power and will want to increase. Not sure what I’ll do. Not sure I would like the whine of a supercharger but only heard them on videos. I’ll have to hear some in person shouldn’t be a problem over the next three years. I think everyone is right about having to put wider tires that grip better unless you like breaking loose a lot.
VT-1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 09:54 AM   #16
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by VT-1LE View Post
Look forward to hearing how you make out and what the true HP #’s turn out to be. I think I’ll leave my SS 1LE stock until the warranty is up. By then I’ll be used to the power and will want to increase. Not sure what I’ll do. Not sure I would like the whine of a supercharger but only heard them on videos. I’ll have to hear some in person shouldn’t be a problem over the next three years. I think everyone is right about having to put wider tires that grip better unless you like breaking loose a lot.
Magnuson 2300 and Whipple 2.9 are really quiet a low boost levels. Whipple is slightly louder but honestly most would never know you have a supercharger.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 10:30 AM   #17
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by VT-1LE View Post
By then you maybe ready to upgrade to a ZL1 or ZL1 1LE!👍
Old 08-05-2020, 10:51 AM   #18
LT4Greg

And VT-1LE the whine of a supercharger is addictive. You want to hear it more and more when you are driving!��
Old 08-05-2020, 12:19 PM   #19
VinnAY
Account Suspended

Drives: 18 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyzz Kydd View Post
Over the last two years I've had exactly one car walk away from me and it was a Dodge Charger Hellcat. Trust me, if you're down in Mexico in your SS 1LE cruising at 90 mph, a Dodge Hellcat will be able to put its power on the road very adequately despite the fact it has the skinny tires (at least compared to what you get on an SS 1LE).
..at 90 isn't any where close to the point I made.
VinnAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 12:25 PM   #20
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8Juice View Post
Looking to supercharge my manual 2019 2SS. Was going to go with an Edelbrock. Everything is priced out, ready to pull the trigger, but I just want to make sure it's the right decision. I only have 12k miles on the car, and another 2 years of bumper to bumper warranty. That's gone as soon as the supercharger is installed. As I am not trying to install the biggest bolt on's or get the most possible boost, or most power out of my engine as humanly possible and I am hoping the supercharger and engine will last for years and years to come. I also do not plan to constantly push the car at a track. After all, it's my daily driver and I want as little to go wrong with it as possible. I am assuming there will be added maintenance ( more frequent oil changes, will go through tires quicker, perhaps a yearly check-up from the mod shop ) etc. No doubt my MPG will probably suffer as well.

This is by far the biggest mod I've done to a vehicle of mine. I just want to make sure it's the right decision and I feel just as good about my decision next year or 2-3 years down the road. A few questions that I do have...

- Will my engine be able to keep up with and deal with the additional heat being generated? I was tossing around the idea of looking for a better hood that could increase airflow and heat extraction. Open to any recommendation.

- Under normal, relatively reserved driving, what can I expect to go wrong or fail in the years to come?

- It'll come to just over 600hp once all is finished. Can the stock clutch, etc... handle that? Should I look into different wheels for the rear to get better traction with a better tire?

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
I wouldn't do with a daily driver, you want to keep, but if you do it go see Ted Jannety also. He is a straight shooter and can save you from making a mistake.
Old 08-05-2020, 12:56 PM   #21
RyanR623

Drives: SS A8, NPP, Red Hot
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Greg View Post
And VT-1LE the whine of a supercharger is addictive. You want to hear it more and more when you are driving!��
THIS. If anything i'd buy the kit with the MOST supercharger whine lol
RyanR623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 01:01 PM   #22
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Greg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR623 View Post
To each their own, I for one don't like the failed ball bearing sound they make . I'm quite happy with the sound profile of the 2300 at relatively low boost.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 02:59 PM   #23
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnAY View Post
..at 90 isn't any where close to the point I made.
I understand, and I'm not saying you're wrong, but I am pointing out that people utilize horsepower and torque in ways other than standing 1/4 miles or 0-60 sprints.
Wyzz Kydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 03:22 PM   #24
LT4Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR623 View Post
You are so right Ryan!👍
Old 08-05-2020, 06:07 PM   #25
JROC
Account Suspended

Drives: 19 Camaro SS 1LE, 03 Ford Lightning
I think you should be fine as long as you stay within some safe limits and don't try and max the potential out.

Make sure your fuel system is up to the task of supporting the kinds of HP you're expecting. Get a conservative tune by a knowledge tuner. Not overly conservative but safe. You don't want to be riding down the highway in your final overdrive gear and have the motor start getting into some detonation if the motor starts to lug hard (as a result of things like accelerating in your final overdrive or you're on a steep incline, etc) and tries to boost. Also don't go overboard on your boost. More boost generally = more power all things being equal, and it can be tempting to run the most boost your setup should be able to support. Remember this is your daily and you don't want to push your safety envelop to its edge. Understand the kind of fuel you'll be using and the compression an LT1 makes. This is where a knowledgeable tuner for these cars comes in. They can tell you what's safe to help you maintain a reliable DD.

I've had a couple SC'ed vehicles as DD. Never a huge issue. Of course they were both factory SC'ed 03 SVT vehicles, but they were modded, and I tried to stay within the limits of a safe setup while getting some very noticeable gains.
JROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 07:07 PM   #26
B8TTYVILLEKID

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro 2 SS
I've been down this path. Big HP in a car that did not come with it. 6.0 L in a G8. Be honest, You WILL push it or you would not do the mods ! If you don't plan on pushing the car too hard as you suggest then drive the heck out of it in stock condition. Still have your warranty and it performs as well as a modified car driven lightly. If you want to pop the hood and say "look at this" then go for it. Me, no mods on the Camaro as I would not use them anymore. IF you plan to drive the crap out of it, then do the suspension mods necessary and go for it, you want regret it. (I didn't)
B8TTYVILLEKID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 12:35 PM   #27
bowtie_thunder
Camaro Connoisseur

Drives: Red 2018 Chevrolet Camaro 1SS
[QUOTE=It'll come to just over 600hp once all is finished. Can the stock clutch, etc... handle that? Should I look into different wheels for the rear to get better traction with a better tire?[/QUOTE]

As someone mentioned earlier, the E-Force Supercharger by Edlebrock is a solid, complete choice that requires no additional parts (unless you plan on tracking it, then you'd need better suspension, smaller wheels, stickier tires, etc.)

As to your question about whether the stock clutch can handle that much horsepower, I've toured Edelbrock several times, and I got to speak to their engineers. They had a Red Hot Camaro SS M6 test mule (a customer's car, actually) that had an Edelbrock-spec GM mill built from scratch with a McLeod Twin-disc in there. Car made 851 rear wheel HP.

They told me the only reason they used it was so that the transmission can remain stable under multiple, extreme load runs back-to-back on a dyno. Other than that, it used the stock shifter, wheels, and transmission.

Current: 2020 2SS Camaro, A10, Non-MRC

JLP Axlebacks | American Authority Fuel Door | K&N Performance Air Filter| iKON Motorsports Rear Valance

bowtie_thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 08:04 PM   #28
Callaway SC630

Drives: 2020 Callaway Camaro SC630
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnAY View Post
The SS doesn't have the tires to put supercharged power to the ground or hold that power so don't overlook the fact that you'll be in the market for a tire capable of holding that power. Wider, stickier compound, etc etc
All you'll do on OE tires is spin.
I don't find traction on stock tires to be an issue.