Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Phastek Performance

Old 12-27-2020, 09:51 AM   #183
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScatPack View Post
Yeah but once again, Ford has decided to hobble this new Mach1 with just a manual trans option. Chevy FINALLY got their act together on the 1LE and for 2021 you can get an A10 now. That should have been the case since 2017. But one could argue now that a 1SS 1LE with the A10 could be the perfect muscle/pony car. This has me thinking. Aside from the horrible Recaro seats, thats an awesome package with the A10 now.
I’m only on page 1 of 13, so if someone has already corrected this, forgive me. Mach I can be had with a Tremec 6MT or the Ford/GM 10AT.

Now, to answer the original question... first full disclosure... My car was my retirement present to myself upon retiring from GM, so chances of it being a GM vehicle was about 92%. The other 8%? In my 30 plus years at GM, I’ve owned 4 Mustangs, so there’s that. Plus we are eligible for Ford discount because my wife worked at for for about 15 years.

STYLING:
Top up, Camaro convertible retains most of the Camaro coupe styling. Mustang convertible looks like a notchback with the top up. I love the Mustang fastback styling, but that styling doesn’t translate at all to the convertible.

Also love the tonneau cover on the Camaro convertible. Mustang has a snap on cover. Mustang does have a lot more usable trunk room, especially with the top down, since the Camaro top takes up 2/3 of the trunk space when it’s down.

PERFORMANCE:
Alpha platform is amazing. Stability and handling is top notch. Ford D2C not so much. Ford has done a lot to patch it so that it’s pretty good. But why settle for pretty good when you can have amazing. GT350 is the best handling Mustang I’ve ever driven. It does handle better than my SS Vert, but still falls short of a significantly less pricey SS1LE.

At the time that I was buying, the transmission choices were Tremec MT or 8AT for Camaro, Getrag MT or Ford 6AT for Mustang. No contest either way. I’ve driven a Bullitt with the Getrag and a GT350 with the Tremec within days of each other. I couldn’t wait to give the Bullitt back, that’s how much I hated the transmission. I felt that it really knee-capped the car. I fell in love with the GT350 Tremec.

EQUIPMENT:
HUD. Love it. Camaro has it, Mustang does not.
No stop drop top. You can put the top up or down at up to 30 mph. Camaro has it, Mustang does not.

I have a 2SS trim. People rag on the Camaro interior and materials. I can’t help but think they must be commenting on base trim. The 2SS interior has a lot of leather and alcantara (why don’t they call it suede anymore?). The pieces that are hard plastic are pieces you don’t touch anyway. And I must be the only one who really likes the low center vents that double as temperature control.

So, even if I wasn’t already predisposed to going Camaro, my basic requirements for my retirement car were convertible and V8 For that reason, I would still have picked Camaro over Mustang because I don’t like the Mustang Vert top up styling, the Alpha platform, HUD, and no-stop drop top. If I were open to coupe, I would have been comparing 1SS 1LE, ZL1, and GT350. I probably would have gone 1LE because that is an impossible value to beat. But GT350 styling combined with it’s capability would’ve made it close.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 10:36 AM   #184
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Now that I’m caught up, a few have mentioned seating position. I should have mentioned that, but truth is, I forget how high the seating position is in Mustangs until I get in one. If you are used to that, it’s probably not an issue, but coming out of Corvettes, I notice it.

OP, I see you seem to have settled on a 1LE. GET THE PDR!!! You will not regret it. I hated that it was not available for my car. I drove a C7 as a company car for a while and the PDR was a delight.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Old 12-27-2020, 11:00 AM   #185
shogun37

Drives: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
And I must be the only one who really likes the low center vents that double as temperature control.
Nope. I think it was brilliant. I'm not sure they needed to be so ginormous but it gets air to where it serves a purpose. My arm doesn't sweat so why do I have frostbite on my forearm, Ford (and everyone else)?
shogun37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 11:08 AM   #186
Adamone92
Adam Lingenfelter

Drives: From mustang to 2021 2ss 1le
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
I’m only on page 1 of 13, so if someone has already corrected this, forgive me. Mach I can be had with a Tremec 6MT or the Ford/GM 10AT.

Now, to answer the original question... first full disclosure... My car was my retirement present to myself upon retiring from GM, so chances of it being a GM vehicle was about 92%. The other 8%? In my 30 plus years at GM, I’ve owned 4 Mustangs, so there’s that. Plus we are eligible for Ford discount because my wife worked at for for about 15 years.

STYLING:
Top up, Camaro convertible retains most of the Camaro coupe styling. Mustang convertible looks like a notchback with the top up. I love the Mustang fastback styling, but that styling doesn’t translate at all to the convertible.

Also love the tonneau cover on the Camaro convertible. Mustang has a snap on cover. Mustang does have a lot more usable trunk room, especially with the top down, since the Camaro top takes up 2/3 of the trunk space when it’s down.

PERFORMANCE:
Alpha platform is amazing. Stability and handling is top notch. Ford D2C not so much. Ford has done a lot to patch it so that it’s pretty good. But why settle for pretty good when you can have amazing. GT350 is the best handling Mustang I’ve ever driven. It does handle better than my SS Vert, but still falls short of a significantly less pricey SS1LE.

At the time that I was buying, the transmission choices were Tremec MT or 8AT for Camaro, Getrag MT or Ford 6AT for Mustang. No contest either way. I’ve driven a Bullitt with the Getrag and a GT350 with the Tremec within days of each other. I couldn’t wait to give the Bullitt back, that’s how much I hated the transmission. I felt that it really knee-capped the car. I fell in love with the GT350 Tremec.

EQUIPMENT:
HUD. Love it. Camaro has it, Mustang does not.
No stop drop top. You can put the top up or down at up to 30 mph. Camaro has it, Mustang does not.

I have a 2SS trim. People rag on the Camaro interior and materials. I can’t help but think they must be commenting on base trim. The 2SS interior has a lot of leather and alcantara (why don’t they call it suede anymore?). The pieces that are hard plastic are pieces you don’t touch anyway. And I must be the only one who really likes the low center vents that double as temperature control.

So, even if I wasn’t already predisposed to going Camaro, my basic requirements for my retirement car were convertible and V8 For that reason, I would still have picked Camaro over Mustang because I don’t like the Mustang Vert top up styling, the Alpha platform, HUD, and no-stop drop top. If I were open to coupe, I would have been comparing 1SS 1LE, ZL1, and GT350. I probably would have gone 1LE because that is an impossible value to beat. But GT350 styling combined with it’s capability would’ve made it close.
Dang. Wish i could get discounts like you!

Your next post you recommended the PDR. Can you elaborate a little more as to why? Even for a car that wont be tracked much if at all?

Genuinely curious.
Adamone92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 11:20 AM   #187
ScatPack
Banned

Drives: None at the moment
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamone92 View Post

Your next post you recommended the PDR. Can you elaborate a little more as to why? Even for a car that wont be tracked much if at all?

Genuinely curious.
I have a friend that DDs a 1LE and has PDR. He said he only uses it as a dash cam basically for daily use. It shows all kinds of neat metrics like throttle and brake position as well as steering angle and whatnot. He uses a 64gb card and says it will record like 1440 minutes of video with that. Seems cool.
ScatPack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 11:21 AM   #188
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Quote:

Genuinely curious.
When I bought my used ZL1 last year, one of the options was PDR which to this day I have never used. It was a low option ZL1 and that’s the main reason I bought it and of course the very low mileage for a 2 year old Camaro. It just depends on your intended use of the SS 1LE if you really need PDR. I would say get it if you are planning to track it but if just street driving then it probably wouldn’t be worth the extra cost for the option. If it comes on the car and you get a good deal then yes definitely get it.
Old 12-27-2020, 12:04 PM   #189
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
I chose the sixth gen V8 Camaro (3 times so far) over a V8 Mustang because:
  1. The Camaro handles and steers better model for model
  2. The Camaro is lighter
  3. The Camaro has a better manual transmission and shifting.
  4. While being equally as fast as the Mustang the LT1 motor has quite a bit more torque than the Coyote in the lower to mid rpm range.
  5. The Camaro is almost as good looking.
And I chose the Camaro LT1 as it to me is one of the best performance buys on the planet $ for $.

My M6 LT1 with tires runs even or better than any stockish A10 Mustang at Atco (so far). Stockish M6 Coyotes for whatever reason are not even a race.
Old 12-27-2020, 12:12 PM   #190
nprario

Drives: 2017 1ss 1le HBM
Been a Ford person my whole life. Really wanted a Mustang as I preferred the styling over the Camaro. I was always going to track the car and after quite a bit of research I found that you could not get the Tranny and Differential cooling on the GT only the GT350 at least when I was looking. At that time many Mustang owners were complaining about their cars going into limp mode at the track with overheating trannies or rear ends. Could fix the rear end but the tranny was more problematic.

My son has a GT350 and it is a great car but I just did not want to spend that kind of money. The 1LE has everything I wanted at a much better price point so I swallowed hard and purchased my first GM. Have to say I could not be happier with the performance of this car especially on the track. It is a pleasure to drive and the styling has grown on me. In my opinion the Camaro 1LE is pretty hard to beat in the bang for the buck department.
nprario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 12:34 PM   #191
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Greg View Post
When I bought my used ZL1 last year, one of the options was PDR which to this day I have never used. It was a low option ZL1 and that’s the main reason I bought it and of course the very low mileage for a 2 year old Camaro. It just depends on your intended use of the SS 1LE if you really need PDR. I would say get it if you are planning to track it but if just street driving then it probably wouldn’t be worth the extra cost for the option. If it comes on the car and you get a good deal then yes definitely get it.
If you remember when I first got my ZL1 I made a thread on how often people use it. It was quite informative.

Since the first time I used it I have recorded hours of video.

What I find even more interesting is in the file data there is a plethora of information to be gleaned. It really is a built in data logger that just happens to record video with displayed telemetry at the same time.

When I first got my car I was indifferent about it. Now, I wouldn’t want one with out it.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 12:52 PM   #192
Rodan

Drives: 2018 ZL1 coupe
PDR is a great option. Just wish they'd spec'd a camera with better resolution.
Rodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 12:58 PM   #193
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:

Genuinely curious.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScatPack View Post
I have a friend that DDs a 1LE and has PDR. He said he only uses it as a dash cam basically for daily use. It shows all kinds of neat metrics like throttle and brake position as well as steering angle and whatnot. He uses a 64gb card and says it will record like 1440 minutes of video with that. Seems cool.
ScatPack sorta answered it. Plus there are times that I’m on a nice road and get to “play around” about. When I had the C7 it was really cool to go back and watch my run and digest some of the specs.

Old 12-27-2020, 01:05 PM   #194
Adamone92
Adam Lingenfelter

Drives: From mustang to 2021 2ss 1le
Appreciate yalls input on the PDR. Im currently on the fence for a 2ss 1le vs a 1ss 1le that has the pdr. 1ss 1le is a little cheaper so im trying to decide if i care enough about the extras on the 2ss to spend the extra few thousand.
Adamone92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 01:06 PM   #195
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfoxy View Post
What I find even more interesting is in the file data there is a plethora of information to be gleaned. It really is a built in data logger that just happens to record video with displayed telemetry at the same time.
i think this is where the truth lies. pdr is marketed as basically a track only tool. it isn't, at all.

my car does not have it, i didn't care either way when i bought the car and honestly all of the info i'm looking for can be pulled from hpt and the dragy box.
Old 12-27-2020, 01:27 PM   #196
SloCal

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE
mustang isn't even remotely close in terms of performance and chassis dynamics. two different leagues of cars

anyone that buys a mustang either doesn't care or doesn't research

2nd 6th gen
SPL Toe Arms/Brembo HTC64t/Corsa NPP/Tremec MTF Fluid
SloCal is offline   Reply With Quote