Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Thread Closed

Old 03-11-2020, 08:14 PM   #71
GTO_Gregory

Drives: 2016 Camaro
An electric assisted Camaro is cool. Just make it faster 0-60 than the ZL1, and make it about an inch lower than the lowest current model.
2006 Quicksilver 6-speed GTO ERL LS3-430, All-Pro 285cc heads, 262/273 .758/.742 116+3 cam, Sheet-metal Intake, 70lb Siemens injectors, SLP, GMM Ripshifter, QA1 Coil-overs front and rear, nylon suspension bushings, Hotchkis, RPM Trans, SPEC twin clutch, SpinTech, Kooks 1 7/8 -2.0", BMR drive train, Kaaz 3.91, Lingenfelter CAI, Baer brakes, mini-tubs, E85.
Old 03-11-2020, 08:42 PM   #72
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Some who read this will not be surprised by my comment. No car carrying the Camaro badge and red, white, and blue logo shall ever use anything but an internal combustion gasoline engine.

The name should be retired before any type of alternative fuel propulsion system is ever used in it.
Old 03-11-2020, 09:12 PM   #73
Dark Phoenix

Drives: 2022 Camaro 1SS Redline
I get the first in class part if GM takes the Camaro electric and that is what Mary Barra is looking for is vehicles being first in the class, dominating new segments. Corevette did something different when it went Mid-engine for the C8. The Hummer coming back despite being a “GMC” with the front end that says classic Hummer except instead of being known for gas consumption will be known as an Electric vehicle with Hummer looks. Think about if GM took the 7th gen Camaro electric & went 1st gen/5th gen styling cues with the appearance. OP said the silhouette looked like a 3rd gen, I’d disagree. For GM they’d strike gold if the could build a successful Performance oriented electric Camaro that has the classic 1st/5th gen appearance that everyone loves. It’d be a big win for GM and Chevrolet and they’d be first in the segment to do it, if they did go that route they’ve got the right guy in charge to lead that project. I’m skeptical that it’d actually happen but I think it’d be an opportunity that GM wouldn’t want to pass up based off the direction they’re trying to go.
Old 03-12-2020, 09:57 AM   #74
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO_Gregory View Post
An electric assisted Camaro is cool. Just make it faster 0-60 than the ZL1, and make it about an inch lower than the lowest current model.
The current car is about 53" tall. In EV/skateboard form I have a hard time believing you wouldn't end up being closer to 60" than 52".

The 5th gen was a rather thick-bodied reinterpretation of the 1st gen. As an EV it would likely get even more bulked-up.

You can't put feet or seat mounts/sliders where the batteries are. I suppose if you got away from the skateboard architecture that you could relocate the batteries to a relatively large central tunnel, but I doubt that a model line selling in fewer that 100,000 units/year would be able to justify the effort.

Norm
Old 03-12-2020, 02:02 PM   #75
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
lets not forget that the space currently occupied by the driveshaft could be used to house batteries.
Old 03-12-2020, 04:31 PM   #76
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoats1976 View Post
lets not forget that the space currently occupied by the driveshaft could be used to house batteries.
Wasn't that possibility - and a concern regarding the viability of such a solution - already identified?

Norm
Old 03-13-2020, 09:02 AM   #77
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
How much Horsepower do we "Need"? Every sixth gen Camaro is fast enouh to be fun. To me the HP war is a war of diminshing returns. And big batteries are heavy.

Having owned two big HP cars, the LT1 motor paired with a manual in a CA6 Camaro is my favorite car ever. It is a nice useful size, relatively light, and has a rock solid chassis. To me it is a BMW 3 series (when they were fun to drive) with a stonkin small block Chevy. It will run low 12s at the strip and out handle and run with or faster than anything twice the price. The sound, the vibration, the experience. Sure we can pick the Camaro apart as a car, but it is really good just the way it is. And it has soul that makes us smile.

I am not knocking EVs, go ahead, stick some batteries in my boring SUV or sedan, I am fine with that. ZZZZ. But to me batteries take the soul out of a performance car. Our planet is our biggest problem by far. And gas powered cars have an expiration date. Knowing that, I want to enjoy driving my Camaro while I can.

Last edited by Fraxum; 03-13-2020 at 09:13 AM.
Old 03-13-2020, 09:22 AM   #78
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Because too many people can't see past "if some's good, more's better, and too much is just enough".

Problem is, those 'stages' are all moving targets.

Norm
Old 03-19-2020, 08:20 PM   #79
Sickstylemob

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1ss Mosaic Black
Camaro sales really that bad compared to the other two? I heard it’s been declining a bit, but really that much of a difference ? Which years were the best and worst of the 6gen?
Old 03-20-2020, 05:50 AM   #80
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickstylemob View Post
Camaro sales really that bad compared to the other two? I heard it’s been declining a bit, but really that much of a difference ? Which years were the best and worst of the 6gen?
https://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/chev...sales-numbers/

Norm
Old 03-20-2020, 06:49 AM   #81
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickstylemob View Post
Since 2015, sales have fallen for each...
37.7% Camaro
40.8% Mustang
8.1% Challenger

Total segment is down 31.8%
Attached Images

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
Old 01-25-2021, 07:23 PM   #82
MR's 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS Vert/M6/F250 SD
I wonder if I can re energize this thread after a year.
I started out here by accident. Then I read the OPs comments and his profile... I laughed that it said im a kid.... Some guys were too hard on him. I think he presented his points very well. Wonder if hes at college now for engineering...
Im going to say what Im thinking and see if anyone cares.
First. Why cant they just build an electric vehicle and call it something else. Everyone knows the globalists are going to push EVs until thats all there is. Its now the end of Jan... 2021 and theres a new occupant in the whitehouse. He is a globalist and already has moved to make gas prices rise. That will continue.
I live in an affluent area in NJ where a lot of the population are left leaning. The more affluent areas the more Teslas. Its the new beemer. Its the cool possession and it makes a political statement.
I have a 29 year old son who believes the world is going to end in 12 years because we refuse to stop burning fossil fuels.
I believe the enemies of our nation are using the issue to drive policies that will diminish our ability to maintain our competitiveness in global markets.
The whole EV motive is to stop using fossil fuel however the electricity to charge them is largely from coal fired plants. Obsolete coal plants. So... zero benefit to the environment.
We have 80% of the worlds reserves of natural gas. It burns way cleaner than coal so if the objective is to benefit the environment why are we not building NG power plants?
If all this madness continues unabated we will be reduced to a second world former power under some form of communist authoritarian government.
So... Im driving my F-250 and my Camaro and my Harleys... Ill be unlikely to comply with whatever they come up with to control me and I will be taken down for that.
Listening to some of the rhetoric these past few weeks is evidence that that day is not so far off.
The numbers quoted for market shar indicate the muscle cars are diminishing in volume. But that doesnt necessarily mean lost demand. Theres plenty of thread here about slim availability on dealer lots.
What the lots are full of is 4 cyl mini SUVs that arent selling in the numbers they build.. Thousands of them sitting from all dealers from all countries. Its Corporate Average Fuel Economy pushing to meet higher and higher economy standards.
If they build too many Camaros it will eat into their ability to sell numbers of trucks.
Cars are already appliances for a lot of people. They dont know or even ask if their 53 thousand dollar BMW has a 6 or a 4. It has heated leather seats and steering wheel and it smells good. But it has a 4 cyl engine.... sorry.. not interested.
One guy a few pages back said if he is forced into an EV he will buy the cheapest one and treat it as an appliance.
Thats where Im at.
Its as if after sleeping with women your whole life... the government comes in and regulates you into living alone and having a cold plastic blow up doll.
Ill probably get banned for this one.
Old 01-25-2021, 08:13 PM   #83
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR's 2SS View Post
I wonder if I can re energize this thread after a year.
I started out here by accident. Then I read the OPs comments and his profile... I laughed that it said im a kid.... Some guys were too hard on him. I think he presented his points very well. Wonder if hes at college now for engineering...
Im going to say what Im thinking and see if anyone cares.
First. Why cant they just build an electric vehicle and call it something else. Everyone knows the globalists are going to push EVs until thats all there is. Its now the end of Jan... 2021 and theres a new occupant in the whitehouse. He is a globalist and already has moved to make gas prices rise. That will continue.
I live in an affluent area in NJ where a lot of the population are left leaning. The more affluent areas the more Teslas. Its the new beemer. Its the cool possession and it makes a political statement.
I have a 29 year old son who believes the world is going to end in 12 years because we refuse to stop burning fossil fuels.
I believe the enemies of our nation are using the issue to drive policies that will diminish our ability to maintain our competitiveness in global markets.
The whole EV motive is to stop using fossil fuel however the electricity to charge them is largely from coal fired plants. Obsolete coal plants. So... zero benefit to the environment.
We have 80% of the worlds reserves of natural gas. It burns way cleaner than coal so if the objective is to benefit the environment why are we not building NG power plants?
If all this madness continues unabated we will be reduced to a second world former power under some form of communist authoritarian government.
So... Im driving my F-250 and my Camaro and my Harleys... Ill be unlikely to comply with whatever they come up with to control me and I will be taken down for that.
Listening to some of the rhetoric these past few weeks is evidence that that day is not so far off.
The numbers quoted for market shar indicate the muscle cars are diminishing in volume. But that doesnt necessarily mean lost demand. Theres plenty of thread here about slim availability on dealer lots.
What the lots are full of is 4 cyl mini SUVs that arent selling in the numbers they build.. Thousands of them sitting from all dealers from all countries. Its Corporate Average Fuel Economy pushing to meet higher and higher economy standards.
If they build too many Camaros it will eat into their ability to sell numbers of trucks.
Cars are already appliances for a lot of people. They dont know or even ask if their 53 thousand dollar BMW has a 6 or a 4. It has heated leather seats and steering wheel and it smells good. But it has a 4 cyl engine.... sorry.. not interested.
One guy a few pages back said if he is forced into an EV he will buy the cheapest one and treat it as an appliance.
Thats where Im at.
Its as if after sleeping with women your whole life... the government comes in and regulates you into living alone and having a cold plastic blow up doll.
Ill probably get banned for this one.
Check out https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10373725 before your reply is deleted.

Where in NJ are you? Up north? Come spring we should get together and discuss the state of the world

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
Old 01-25-2021, 08:43 PM   #84
SpeedLimit

Drives: 2019 F150
Wouldn't be suprised if the performance GM EV Camaro offering isn't as least as fast as a Tesla plaid. Now with that said, Tesla roadster may be the benchmark in ev performance but it's not available to actually drive. I don't think GM is out of the EV performance market and wouldn't be suprised if it ends up being competitive.

Closed Thread