Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-27-2018, 10:09 PM   #29
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Well that might explain a whole lot lol!
Btw mine doesn't really team much even with 2.6F
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 01:22 PM   #30
baron95
2018 1LE, NASA Instructor

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Well that might explain a whole lot lol!
Btw mine doesn't really team much even with 2.6F
How is the front and rear outside shoulder tire wear with those camber settings? Acceptable?

Do these tires (S3) heat cycle out first or wear out first?
baron95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 02:13 PM   #31
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by baron95 View Post
How is the front and rear outside shoulder tire wear with those camber settings? Acceptable?

Do these tires (S3) heat cycle out first or wear out first?
Yes the outside wear is acceptable and with those camber values i also get inside shouler wear (on inside wheel). So i swap the wheels L to R half way or so.
The tires wear out vs cycle out and last 6-7 track days plus dd duty. They are the best match for the car imo.
Second is RE71R 295 square in my book. But for every 3 sets one gets a free set of G3s and they didnt last me any longer than stockers. Plus the gearing is just a wee bit off forcing upshifts to 4th on some tracks. Cup2 is a distant 3rd given they chunked and corded on the outside on day 5 on me and cost almost twice the stockers.

All 3 are pretty much the same pace in my hands anyway and seem the same quality too and i liked them all.
But since i do have a finite track budget stockers are clear winners by a mile.

Ps i was in an absolute deluge on a concrete hiway with stockers which had 3 track days and the car felt very solid yet i expected major hydroplaning and going sideways. It was a very pleasant surprise!
Old 03-28-2018, 07:01 PM   #32
baron95

Quote:
The tires wear out vs cycle out and last 6-7 track days plus dd duty. They are the best match for the car imo......

Ps i was in an absolute deluge on a concrete hiway with stockers which had 3 track days and the car felt very solid yet i expected major hydroplaning and going sideways. It was a very pleasant surprise!
Thanks - That is valuable info. I won't waste time chasing tires, and will stick to stockers. I was hoping for a square setup of wheels/tires, but doesn't seem like that is in the cards.

And I too bought the vehicle and had to drive 200 miles at night on pouring rain, and temps barely above freezing - no issues at all.

After the first 1/2 mile with heat in those tires they are great even in the cold.

When you start up in the morning/cold they have zero grip
Old 03-28-2018, 09:52 PM   #33
baron95

One more question on the S3....

I found that most high performance street/track tires seem to work best around 35-36PSI hot. The 1LE Track Prep Supplement calls for 35-37F and an incredibly high 37-39R!!!!

Is it your experience that those are the right hot target pressures? Is that target set to purposefully decrease rear grip (smaller tires upfront with 54% of the weight over them)?
Old 03-29-2018, 12:34 AM   #34
TrackClub

Interesting. Thats the updated 2018 supplement.
Ive always used 28 cold and 35 hot all around.
36 max - and bled accordingly. Believe others do the same. Unsure why they'd recommend such high psi for the rears. Never tried it and i dont think i will either...
The car is superbly balanced with equal pressures F and R.
Old 03-29-2018, 09:55 AM   #35
baron95

Quote:
Interesting. Thats the updated 2018 supplement.
Ive always used 28 cold and 35 hot all around.
36 max - and bled accordingly. Believe others do the same. Unsure why they'd recommend such high psi for the rears. Never tried it and i dont think i will either...
The car is superbly balanced with equal pressures F and R.
Thanks that is what I figured - target 35-36F hot - seems to work well for most tires. 39F seems crazy high. I was wondering if it was to stiffen the sidewalls or something that GM found out.
Old 03-29-2018, 10:16 AM   #36
TrackClub

Maybe. But frankly g3s have stiff sidewalls as it is so not sure why. BTW dont be "afraid" of long gearing with stockers...all that means is that 3rd becomes the most dominant gear used the most - but in a very effective manner on most tracks. I ran at 5 very different venues last yrs with zero complains. Unless your plan is to go with Pirelli take offs or Hoosiers there is zero reason to buy 18s for street tires just to drop the gearing. The benefit is not worth the expense imo. In any case I'd suggest trying the stock set up a few times before opening your wallet and losing an opp to run excellent and very affordable g3s. Fyi my laptimes on stockers are better than my c5z on nt01s...and if you prefer you can always go with re71r 295 square on stock wheels.
But ya if i were going with slicks then 18s is the only way to go. Imo 19s make little sense unless you want to run nt01s specifically. And not for pace but a bit more longevity. But overall cost wise it makes little sense imho.
Old 03-29-2018, 10:23 AM   #37
zx9rmal

Drives: '20 ZL1 M6
A little off topic but, I'm replacing tires in a few weeks. I do NOT track the car. I'll be going to Michelin PS 4S's. I've heard such great things about the factory recommended track alignment settings that I'm considering having it done. Comments regarding street use? Wear? Handling improvement? Steering response? Etc.

Thanks.
'22 Kawasaki ZX-14R
zx9rmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 10:35 AM   #38
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx9rmal View Post
A little off topic but, I'm replacing tires in a few weeks. I do NOT track the car. I'll be going to Michelin PS 4S's. I've heard such great things about the factory recommended track alignment settings that I'm considering having it done. Comments regarding street use? Wear? Handling improvement? Steering response? Etc.

Thanks.
A bit more aggressive camber will always wake up a car if you enjoy a well balanced car. I have 2.6f and 1.6r but i track my car and go thru 3 or 4 sets of tires per season on average. That said the street driveability is still excellent. I do track trips of 6+ hrs and have zero complains.
The wear will be a bit more tho. But your tire choice should be able to handle it. Id go with GM recommended specs which are 2.0f and 1.5r and see how your Michelins wear. Will you notice a difference in handling? Most definitely imo. Hope this helps.
Old 03-29-2018, 10:38 AM   #39
Provoste

Drives: E46 S54 race car, 964C2
Quote:
Maybe. But frankly g3s have stiff sidewalls as it is so not sure why. BTW dont be "afraid" of long gearing with stockers...all that means is that 3rd becomes the most dominant gear used the most - but in a very effective manner on most tracks. I ran at 5 very different venues last yrs with zero complains. Unless your plan is to go with Pirelli take offs or Hoosiers there is zero reason to buy 18s for street tires just to drop the gearing. The benefit is not worth the expense imo. In any case I'd suggest trying the stock set up a few times before opening your wallet and losing an opp to run excellent and very affordable g3s. Fyi my laptimes on stockers are better than my c5z on nt01s...and if you prefer you can always go with re71r 295 square on stock wheels.
But ya if i were going with slicks then 18s is the only way to go. Imo 19s make little sense unless you want to run nt01s specifically. And not for pace but a bit more longevity. But overall cost wise it makes little sense imho.
I'm actually about to pull the trigger on a set of 19's. Only reason I'm going w/ 19's, is that I want to be able to run 305 street tires, and there aren't many good 305 options for 18's aside from NT01's (not a true street tire). I'm going with 19 x 10.5 et22 Apex wheels, and will be running Hankook RS4 305/30 square. RS4's are incredible durable, and I can get the most out of a set by being able to rotate front to rear. I just wish they made an RS4 that fit the OE SS 1LE wheels!
Provoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 10:56 AM   #40
TrackClub

Interesting. I had tried them on my Vette albeit previous gen tire and did not like the feel of a much softer sidewall. It will be interesting to see what your feedback is given the weight of our cars. But i must admit i dont have tons of first hand experience with them. Just one set and i ended up switching back to nt01 pretty fast. Thats before i settled on bfg r1 which i loved
Old 03-29-2018, 11:08 AM   #41
zx9rmal

Drives: '20 ZL1 M6
Quote:
A bit more aggressive camber will always wake up a car if you enjoy a well balanced car. I have 2.6f and 1.6r but i track my car and go thru 3 or 4 sets of tires per season on average. That said the street driveability is still excellent. I do track trips of 6+ hrs and have zero complains.
The wear will be a bit more tho. But your tire choice should be able to handle it. Id go with GM recommended specs which are 2.0f and 1.5r and see how your Michelins wear. Will you notice a difference in handling? Most definitely imo. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the info.
'22 Kawasaki ZX-14R
zx9rmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 10:00 PM   #42
baron95

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx9rmal View Post

Thanks.
I love the PS4S, but why are you changing out of the OEM tires? Something you don't like about them.

If you don't track the car, -1.5F/-1.0R is prob better than maxing out camber. Having said that, my 1LE is driving fine on road with -2.4F/-1.6R. Can't say anything about tire wear yet, though.