Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Phastek Performance

Old 11-25-2015, 02:48 PM   #29
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
yeah now, it costs less bc they can't give them away.
Actually all Chevys due for total replacement next year are on a big sale to move product before the replacements come in. You can get over 20% off a new ('15) Cruze, Malibu and Camaro now...

Quote:
However the MSRP of a Camaro is still over 70 grand and the 350R with electronics package is 65 grand.
For sure, but a Z28's MSRP actually can easily hit near 80 grand...but a loaded GT350R is near 70 grand as well. Not including the fact that every dealer is marking them up at least 10-15 grand...and that applies to all GT350's, not just the R. My local dealer wants 62 grand for a base GT350, with a MSRP of 51 grand if I recall, it's crazy.
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 02:50 PM   #30
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
I don't think the Z/28 situation had any impact. Ford offered two different BOSS models before the Z/28 even came out.
Possibly. The Z/28 really raised the hard corp equipment of a track car though.

I just think Ford played it right with the way people can option up the 350.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 02:57 PM   #31
shaffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUMMIT WHITE SS View Post
Actually all Chevys due for total replacement next year are on a big sale to move product before the replacements come in. You can get over 20% off a new ('15) Cruze, Malibu and Camaro now...

For sure, but a Z28's MSRP actually can easily hit near 80 grand...but a loaded GT350R is near 70 grand as well. Not including the fact that every dealer is marking them up at least 10-15 grand...and that applies to all GT350's, not just the R. My local dealer wants 62 grand for a base GT350, with a MSRP of 51 grand if I recall, it's crazy.
For arguments sake, leave out the discounts, leave out the mark ups. Ford hit the mark the for cheaper than Chevy while offering more equipment. A loaded 350R is 65,195. A loaded Z/28 76,150 That is a huge win for Ford IMO.

Yes Dealers are marking up the 350 and 350R. When my local dealer gets their 350 I wouldn't be shocked to see them add 15 to 20K to it. Eventually people will be able to find them at MSRP just like when the Z/28 came out dealers marked them up as well. People that waited it out got them at MSRP or slightly below and now BC chevy needs to clear inventory of 15 models out you can get a killer deal on one.

Now with how good the 6th Gen SS. Ford better be hard at work, because the hipo 6th gen is going to be something fierce.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
Old 11-25-2015, 02:59 PM   #32
khell86

Drives: 2012 Ford Focus
Quote:
Possibly. The Z/28 really raised the hard corp equipment of a track car though.

I just think Ford played it right with the way people can option up the 350.
They did. Ford hit the pricing nail on the head with the GT and the GT350 and if current pricing on the 6th gen camaro can be any indicator of whats to come for their HI-PO models I think will see a faster track car from GM but it'll be priced pretty high.

Last edited by khell86; 11-25-2015 at 03:19 PM.
khell86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 02:59 PM   #33
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
That was a good head 2 head! That GT350R is a hell of a car. much deserved win for team Ford. You could see it had a few mph higher than the Z in almost every turn.
Old 11-25-2015, 03:20 PM   #34
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by khell86 View Post
They're not excuses. It is what it is. I'm not downplaying the Z/28's performance at all, simply offering my opinion for those who simply state oh well its only a second faster than the outgoing model.

So let me ask you this. Who did the better job then? The company who made a package that is cheaper and performs better than the stand alone car or no? Dont forget that the GT350 has been under development for many years. Well before we knew about the Z/28.
I understand that but it's not like the GT350R is running in 245 run flats. Sport Cup 2s are very good track tires. Corvette uses them. The mag ride suspension is also very capable.

The GT350 is clearly the better buy if you don't have any allegiances. Cheaper with better performance makes it a no brainer. But they also benefitted from beating an existing car. Also, the Mustang is their halo performance car. It gets what it needs. The Camaro has to deal with what it's given. Now, seeing as what it's given is generally world class, it's not a big problem but just imagine what the Z/28s performance could have been using its own chassis and a one off engine.

There is no doubt in my mind the Z/28 played a big part in the GT350 we see today.

Last edited by Bhobbs; 11-25-2015 at 06:40 PM.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 03:25 PM   #35
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
For arguments sake, leave out the discounts, leave out the mark ups. Ford hit the mark the for cheaper than Chevy while offering more equipment. A loaded 350R is 65,195. A loaded Z/28 76,150 That is a huge win for Ford IMO.

Yes Dealers are marking up the 350 and 350R. When my local dealer gets their 350 I wouldn't be shocked to see them add 15 to 20K to it. Eventually people will be able to find them at MSRP just like when the Z/28 came out dealers marked them up as well. People that waited it out got them at MSRP or slightly below and now BC chevy needs to clear inventory of 15 models out you can get a killer deal on one.

Now with how good the 6th Gen SS. Ford better be hard at work, because the hipo 6th gen is going to be something fierce.
Oh, don't think I'm defending the Z28 per say, I am not a GM fan boy. Heck, right now I have an '02 Corvette Z06, '11 Mustang GT (which is being replaced with a '17 SS, or hopefully 1LE) and a '14 Fusion SE with the 2.0 Ecoboost. I buy what I want, regardless of who makes it. Well, except for Chrysler, I've learned my lesson with those...

But I really don't think at the time GM's goal was selling a ton a Z28's. I even remember reading in that newsletter, called Fuel I think that they send out that they said the engineers wanted to "prove" something with that car. Which they did. If they wanted to sell a bunch they could have made the carbon brakes and Recaro seats options. That alone would have made the car retail for at least $12K less then it did. I think Ford realized this, hence the many choices on the GT350, from just about $50K all the way to close to $70K.
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 03:34 PM   #36
DanSS24

Drives: Dream Cars in my head
I expected the 350R to win, so no surprises there. No excuses, Ford used Chevy as a bench mark, now lets see if Chevy will use Ford as a bench mark for their next Z/28. Last time, I think Chevy was actually gunning for the GTR and Porsche instead of Ford.

Wishful thinking...but I sure can dream big.
DanSS24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 03:49 PM   #37
Jeffro19

Drives: 2018 ZL1 6M, Silverado High Country
Great head to head matchup. The GT350 is a great track car congrats ford. I still Am a hard core Chevy guy and will always own Chevys. Can't wait to see how GM will respond and I know they will. The next ZL1 or Z28 will take the crown back I'm sure. Exciting times ahead!

Current Vehicles - 2018 ZL1 Red Hot 6 spd manual, Carbon Hood, Sunroof
2019 Silverado High Country, Daily Driver
Jeffro19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 03:55 PM   #38
shaffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUMMIT WHITE SS View Post
Oh, don't think I'm defending the Z28 per say, I am not a GM fan boy. Heck, right now I have an '02 Corvette Z06, '11 Mustang GT (which is being replaced with a '17 SS, or hopefully 1LE) and a '14 Fusion SE with the 2.0 Ecoboost. I buy what I want, regardless of who makes it. Well, except for Chrysler, I've learned my lesson with those...

But I really don't think at the time GM's goal was selling a ton a Z28's. I even remember reading in that newsletter, called Fuel I think that they send out that they said the engineers wanted to "prove" something with that car. Which they did. If they wanted to sell a bunch they could have made the carbon brakes and Recaro seats options. That alone would have made the car retail for at least $12K less then it did. I think Ford realized this, hence the many choices on the GT350, from just about $50K all the way to close to $70K.

Old 11-25-2015, 04:09 PM   #39
ChefBorOzzy

Drives: 2016 F150
350 looks very special. Love the front end. Good job, Ford. Looking forward to a new Z/28.
ChefBorOzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 04:20 PM   #40
Davy_Baby9

Drives: Duramax
It will be interesting to see what an sixth gen SS can do against a base to tech pack GT350. Sadly, we probably won't see this tested by the magazines at least.
Davy_Baby9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 04:58 PM   #41
13vertss

Drives: 2013 Camaro convertible 2SS/RS
You are all forgetting, there only making 500 GT350R's. So yes it beat the Z28, but not many will have one to do it. The Z28 easily beat the 350tp by 1.79 sec. So unless you have a R, not much to brag about other then a cheaper price. But now there the same price. It was a good win tho, but few will be able say they have one.
13vertss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 04:59 PM   #42
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
So I recall reading that Ford said the GT350R was roughly 2 seconds faster than the Z/28 around Grattan, while the GT350 with the track pack was about a second slower and roughly par with a Z51 C7...

Given driver error, different track
and such...it seems that this confirms those statements. Am I reading that wrong?
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote