Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-02-2016, 02:56 AM   #281
doc7000

Drives: 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix
Starting price for a 5th generation Camaro in 2015 was $25,000 and the starting price of a 6th generation Camaro starting off has been $27,000. People were able to get 5th generation Camaro at a discount due to a lack of demand, you know people on this site have been getting 6th generation car at a discount (just not as big as the 5th generation). Toward the end you could get a 2015 1LS Camaro for under $20,000 however they were never going to sell the 6th generation at a discount for anything near that price point.

If you have option A and option B, and option A you can sell 80,000 of said vehicle at an average price of $25,000 or option B you can sell 60,000 of said vehicle with an average price of $35,000 which one would you pick?.
doc7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 03:08 AM   #282
Marine Corps

Drives: 2016 2SS Garnet Red Camaro
Numbers, numbers, numbers! Buy something else if you can't afford the Camaro. The Corvette annual sales numbers rarely exceed 30k and it's going strong.
Added Procharger supercharger.
Marine Corps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 06:42 AM   #283
mt3130

Drives: Coupeless :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine Corps View Post
Numbers, numbers, numbers! Buy something else if you can't afford the Camaro. The Corvette annual sales numbers rarely exceed 30k and it's going strong.
Your point about Corvette sales are true, but the prior generation of the Corvette sold less than 20k units per year, so 30k units per year is a huge increase for that model.

The Camaro is on pace for its worst sales year since returning.
mt3130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 06:44 AM   #284
Davy_Baby9

Drives: Duramax
Hey guys let's compare apples to oranges because that makes sense. Lol
Davy_Baby9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 06:51 AM   #285
AdvanSuper

Drives: 1SS HBM w/MRC NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard0nee View Post
I agree with you bro. They shouldn't have really increase the price of the i4 and the V6 maybe but not by much.

I understand the SS, I have one and the price increase is justifiable!
They're both on a new platform, so why would they be similar in price regardless of LT, SS, etc. Someone has to pay for that newer and better platform somewhere lol.
AdvanSuper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 06:57 AM   #286
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
I remember ~18 months ago in this forum as news and rumors trickled in about the specs of the 6th gen. And it all sounded great (alpha platform, LT1 V8, LGX V6, 8 sp auto, reduced weight, new infotainment, new safety equipment, etc. etc).

And, yet my reaction at the time was, 'Great, but how do they do all that and not transform the Camaro into a substantially more expensive car?' The answer, it turns out, is that they don't. It was possible to get into a 5th gen Camaro V6 in the low-$20s. A 6th gen Camaro V6 is basically going to run you $30K. The bottom line is that you're talking about a premium of $6,000-$7,000 over the previous generation. Sure, you're getting a significantly better car, but more money is more money. Every buyer has to make his/her own decision as to whether it's worth the extra money. Many folks here think along the lines of 'I'm totally fine paying more and getting a better car,' and I personally think the same way. But let's face it. These sales numbers have got to be a disappointment for GM. GM gambled when they could move the car upscale. And based on the reviews and awards, the gamble paid off. The new Camaro has impressed 'car people' (reviewers, fan, folks who appreciate automotive technology). But 'car people' are but a subset of a larger group called 'car buyers.' And with 'car buyers,' the gamble of moving the Camaro upmarket hasn't paid off... at least not yet.
I remember Motor Trend saying the biggest challenge with the new Camaro is the Chevy badge. They reviewers say the car is so good and now compare it to cars like the BMW M4, etc. but to your point how does GM change the perception of the Camaro so they can take it further upmarket?
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 07:04 AM   #287
AdvanSuper

Drives: 1SS HBM w/MRC NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor5244 View Post
I remember Motor Trend saying the biggest challenge with the new Camaro is the Chevy badge. They reviewers say the car is so good and now compare it to cars like the BMW M4, etc. but to your point how does GM change the perception of the Camaro so they can take it further upmarket?
More videos from MotorTrend of it doing as good or better than cars that cost double
AdvanSuper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 07:12 AM   #288
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyHT View Post
This is where I disagree. GM held dealer allocation below demand levels. They did not add the additional shift to the plant until April.

This was a PLANNED and CONTROLLED limited launch for the 2016 MY. The advertising was also limited and controlled. We can speculate until the cows come home, but to compare prior year numbers to 2016 numbers is ridiculous. The complete line has not even been released yet.

GM will ramp advertising and more soon enough. For now, I will enjoy the quite ground swell, uniqueness of the vehicle, and be an advocate for it when noticed.
Oh so now it was planned to have low sales for the first year?

That's a new one..
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 07:25 AM   #289
NASTY99Z28

Drives: 99z28 with bolt-ons and a mwc fab 9
I guess keeping the looks fairly close and the price high isnt working. The faster car deosnt mean better sales. They learned that with the 4th and 5th gen.
Old 06-02-2016, 07:34 AM   #290
merlin803

Drives: 2016 Summit White Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedIsLife View Post
Oh so now it was planned to have low sales for the first year?

That's a new one..
Since you asked....

"GM profits more than double on record N. America earnings"

"The first-quarter profits came even though global sales fell 2.5 percent to 2.4 million vehicles. Stevens attributed the decline to lower sales in South America and a U.S. strategy to cut low-profit sales to rental car companies. But he said average prices per vehicle in North America improved, which he attributed to trucks and new products such as the Chevrolet Malibu and Camaro."

http://www.chron.com/news/article/GM...ca-7286886.php

Like I said before, as long as GM is profitable and happy, then I am good.
merlin803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 07:34 AM   #291
suzook

Drives: camaro
The demise of the 4th gen was its hideous looks, outdated platform, and GM's financial crisis. They were not going to invest in a new platform at the time. The Gen6 is selling enough to keep it going. People need to relax.
Old 06-02-2016, 07:43 AM   #292
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
The demise of the 4th gen was its hideous looks, outdated platform, and GM's financial crisis. They were not going to invest in a new platform at the time. The Gen6 is selling enough to keep it going. People need to relax.
1- I happen to like the 4th gen looks, especially in SS guise.
2- The platform would have needed upgrades to meet the new government crash standards, it was dated yes, but it wasn't like it was behind it's competition at the time.
3- From what I recall, a big issue was at the Canadian factory that just made the one car (and Firebird, but we all know that is 90% the same car), they wanted a much higher rate, and it wouldn't have been feasible and costs of shopping were going up from Canada as well.
4- The SUV craze was in full swing.
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 07:58 AM   #293
suzook

Drives: camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 1LE View Post
1- I happen to like the 4th gen looks, especially in SS guise.
Based on the sales numbers, you were in the minority. The sales #'s of the gen4 just flat out sucked. It was decently built, and a quick car, but ugly.
Old 06-02-2016, 07:58 AM   #294
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by NASTY99Z28 View Post
I guess keeping the looks fairly close and the price high isnt working. The faster car deosnt mean better sales. They learned that with the 4th and 5th gen.
But it is not just faster, that is the problem. It is a more advanced, better handling and more refined car. Most folks just don't realize that yet. You will hear time and time again from folks that go and actually test drive both cars and they usually all come back and say the Camaro is the better car. So, how much more should that cost over the competition? $2k, $3k, $5k?

It is perception...IMO, here are a couple ways to think about the new Camaro to help change the perception of it.

- What if the new Camaro SS was essentially a Cadillac ATS but with the Corvette engine?

- What if the new Camaro SS could get you 98% of the performance and driving experience of the Corvette Stingray?

- And as we have seen from the experts at MotorTrend, what if the new Camaro SS is the better overall car when compared to a very expensive BMW M4?

If you agree with any of those comparisons and you desire and appreciate that level of driving experience then the new Camaro is a steal. However, if you just want the least expensive V8 experience money can buy then the Mustang will fit the bill. Remember, if you start adding bigger wheels and tires, aftermarket exhausts and anything else performance oriented to keep up with the new SS you will close the price gap pretty quick anyway.
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote