Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-29-2020, 01:58 PM   #1
Idaho2018GTPremium

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
C7 Z06 vs 2+2 Pony Cars

I currently drive a 2018 Mustang GT PP1 with MagneRide and the A10 that I love, but I can't help the itch I have to own a C7 Z06...I posted a similar question on the Mustang forums and got a few helpful replies but figured I'd try here since Camaro owners may have more crossover to Corvettes than Mustang owners.

Has anyone had a C7 Z06? It's been on my bucket list for a long time as my obtainable "dream car"...but I haven't driven one and there's few around me to try out. Has anyone had one that can share the nitty gritty of living with one day to day? How's reliability? Have there been any known common troubles with the car? If so, were those resolved in newer models? I'm not talking about the early models overheating on the track, because I don't track my cars - just curvy mountain and back roads for me. I'm thinking more along the lines of issues with quality, durability, or reliability, i.e. any common problems to look out for, etc. I've heard the seats are uncomfortable - is that true in your opinion?

I have 3 kids...Can anyone share with me their experience going from the convenience of 2+2 grand touring car to a 2 seater sports car that has kids?

I've heard the paddle response on the A8 is slow, so I'm leaning toward M7 because of that, even though it's slightly slower accelerating due to the time it takes to shift your own gears...any thoughts on that? I currently have the A10 in my Mustang GT and don't mind the paddle response under moderate or heavy throttle (they are slightly annoying and slow to respond under light throttle but pretty quick under moderate or heavy throttle).

Are they mod friendly, i.e., will an intake and smaller pulley alone add considerable power (say, a bump to 700 crank hp)?

That said, I really enjoy my GT, but with the C7 out of production, I'm thinking soon may be the time to pick up a used 2019 Z06 with a warranty still intact. Any input from you would be appreciated.

Here's a picture of my car:
Attached Images

Past:
2018 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP1, MR, and A10
2007 MazdaSpeed3
1995 Pontiac Trans Am
1987 Camaro Z28

Idaho2018GTPremium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 04:27 PM   #2
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
I can't really help much, except to say that I'd describe the A8 in my Camaro like the A10 in your Mustang. Not really all that fast on a click-shift when under moderate to light throttle, but under a heavier throttle I think it's fairly quick. I'd hardly describe it as slow (although I too have heard it described that way multiple times...I think it's unfair). It's not the same as the A10 in the ZL1, but neither is the newer Camaros with the A10 or the Mustang.

Unless you just don't want a manual, I'd at least give the A8 a shot and a test drive if you get the chance.
Old 10-30-2020, 08:15 AM   #3
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
If I am hearing you correctly, it sounds as if you want to DD the Z06 as it will be your only vehicle. If that is the case, I would pass. My C7 GS is a garage kept toy and it is only used when the weather permits.

Having 3 children is not going to bode well for the C7 as it only has two seats and the interior is quite small. Attempting to drive one in the snow is going to be a massive headache as it is NOT meant for that. It sits very low, has 335 rear tires and you'd be lucky to even get it out of your driveway in a snow storm.

The C7 is very mod friendly and with the Z06, just a few mods can really crank up the hp. Boosted engines can make big power with just a few bolt-ons. IMHO, the quality of the C7 is very good. The real aluminum and carbon fiber interior trim pieces are very nice. As far as the seats, I find them to be comfortable for the type that they are. I have the standard seats and have taken a few 200 mile road trips. They suit me well. I would have liked to have the Competition seats, but they are less comfortable as I have sat in them at my dealer.

In closing, it is not an everyday car. Just my .$02. Do as you please and best of luck!

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 10:09 AM   #4
KMPrenger

Can't argue with DRKS1D3 when it comes to the kids. I have two kids. 2 and 6 yrs old. My wife drives a GMC Terrain, and I have a crew cab Colorado in addition to my Camaro. Even with my wife's ride, still no way I could have just the Camaro. No way...at least not for me. I do other things that require the use of a truck bed.

I don't mean to dig into your personal life, but are you married or have a significant other that regularly takes the kids, or does that normally fall on you? If you are the one regularly taking the kids, then I know it can't be easy doing that in the Mustang (dang near impossible if any of the kids are car-seat age) and will be impossible in the Corvette.

My Camaro is my "attainable dream car" in many ways, but even I have been giving the though of selling it (for many reasons) for a long long time. Had a potential buyer last year and then I backed out, opting to keep it for a little while longer. Believe it or not, I had a lot more fun with my 2010 Camaro V6, rather than than my 6th gen SS, because I had the time to modify it, care for it, drive it, take it to shows...whereas now I don't have much time for all of that. ...anyways I'll just stop boring you all now lol.
Old 10-30-2020, 10:33 AM   #5
Idaho2018GTPremium

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKS1D3 View Post
If I am hearing you correctly, it sounds as if you want to DD the Z06 as it will be your only vehicle. If that is the case, I would pass. My C7 GS is a garage kept toy and it is only used when the weather permits.

Having 3 children is not going to bode well for the C7 as it only has two seats and the interior is quite small. Attempting to drive one in the snow is going to be a massive headache as it is NOT meant for that. It sits very low, has 335 rear tires and you'd be lucky to even get it out of your driveway in a snow storm.

The C7 is very mod friendly and with the Z06, just a few mods can really crank up the hp. Boosted engines can make big power with just a few bolt-ons. IMHO, the quality of the C7 is very good. The real aluminum and carbon fiber interior trim pieces are very nice. As far as the seats, I find them to be comfortable for the type that they are. I have the standard seats and have taken a few 200 mile road trips. They suit me well. I would have liked to have the Competition seats, but they are less comfortable as I have sat in them at my dealer.

In closing, it is not an everyday car. Just my .$02. Do as you please and best of luck!
Good insight, thanks. Yes, it would be my DD, but (and to answer KM's questions below), my wife has a 2016 Volvo XC90 that's used for all the normal kid duty. In almost two years with the Mustang I've never been forced to use my car to take all 3 kids, it's always been a choice. My youngest is 6 y/o, so he still rides in a convertible car seat, but the others are big enough to not, and still small enough to take turns riding in the back seat.

I never drive my Mustang in the snow - I just work from home if need be. If I'm at the office and snow is in the forecast, then I go home. With Covid, I work from home 80+% of the time anyway, so even now the Mustang is more of a toy than a necessity, although eventually I expect to be back in the office 2-3 days per week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Can't argue with DRKS1D3 when it comes to the kids. I have two kids. 2 and 6 yrs old. My wife drives a GMC Terrain, and I have a crew cab Colorado in addition to my Camaro. Even with my wife's ride, still no way I could have just the Camaro. No way...at least not for me. I do other things that require the use of a truck bed.

I don't mean to dig into your personal life, but are you married or have a significant other that regularly takes the kids, or does that normally fall on you? If you are the one regularly taking the kids, then I know it can't be easy doing that in the Mustang (dang near impossible if any of the kids are car-seat age) and will be impossible in the Corvette.

My Camaro is my "attainable dream car" in many ways, but even I have been giving the though of selling it (for many reasons) for a long long time. Had a potential buyer last year and then I backed out, opting to keep it for a little while longer. Believe it or not, I had a lot more fun with my 2010 Camaro V6, rather than than my 6th gen SS, because I had the time to modify it, care for it, drive it, take it to shows...whereas now I don't have much time for all of that. ...anyways I'll just stop boring you all now lol.
There's nothing with my Mustang that makes me want to sell it, honestly. It's truly a great car for me and I love driving it every second I take it out, and I look back at it every time I park it somewhere (a true test for if you love your car). I think the thing messing with my head is the fact that the C7s are out of production, and I'd like to get a lightly used one with a warranty. If they were still making C7 Zs, I'd probably not even be having this discussion yet, knowing I wasn't on a time clock for warranty purposes. But, here we are, nearly in 2021 and the last C7 made in 2019.

Past:
2018 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP1, MR, and A10
2007 MazdaSpeed3
1995 Pontiac Trans Am
1987 Camaro Z28

Idaho2018GTPremium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 02:57 PM   #6
KMPrenger

Oh yes...the look back test lol. I think I turn back at least twice every time!