Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

AWE Tuning

Old 10-21-2020, 08:56 AM   #85
SSEssence
Instagram: Sangstah

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE
the tech is impressive, but the interior is lacking design wise and the exterior looks like a huge ridgeline

Follow the build https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=612717
SSEssence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 09:15 AM   #86

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle View Post
Is anyone else pissed that Al finally gave us T-tops but not in the Camaro?
I read in all the info somewhere that it is the batteries that give the frame the added rigidity allowing for that style of removable roof. Maybe the same will be possible in future EVs...I had never heard before that EVs and their batteries would make t-tops or removable roofs possible.

It's a nice little surprise and an added perk...We'll see...

Here's the phrase...

"Open-air driving enabled by the structural rigidity of the Ultium batteries, with standard Infinity Roof and removable transparent Sky Panels....."
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 09:17 AM   #87
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
I'd be lying if I said I didn't hope for the "starting" model to come in at less than 80 grand. That's a lot of dough. The only thing keeping this from completely making the Cybertruck a complete joke is the price.

But we all knew it was going to be at least 60 or more. Also, "basic no frills" edition is just not a fair description. That "basic" still comes standard with:

625 HP / 7,400 LB-FT OF TORQUE
• Super Cruise™ Driver Assistance Capability†
• HD Surround Vision†
• Digital Key
• 22" Wheels With 35" OD Tires
• Infinity Roof
• Rear Drop Glass
• MultiPro™ Tailgate
• Adrenaline Mode
• 400-Volt DC Fast Charge Capable†

I'm going to guess the interior is still quite upscale in the "base" model as well. That's still a lot of goodies there.
Basic no frills in relation to the entire product range. It's relative. My point is the cheapest Hummer you can buy, even 4 yrs from now, is 80K. That's insane. I guess this allows for trickle down though into an eventual Sierra/Silverado EV while giving GM an electric "halo" truck to hoard over the masses.

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 09:24 AM   #88
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Awesome design, but it starts at $80k. Many people will want one, few can afford one.

Best of luck GM.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 09:28 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Also...I find it annoying that GM is using wheel torque instead of motor torque for the figures. It's totally missleading. Why not just tell us that the tri-motor version produces roughly 1000lbs of torque? It's still impressive.
It's a brave new world of EV-speak...I would like to see a correlation of EV "Range" to City MPG and Highway MPG....Too many variables to take any of the performance claims at face value...No road tests yet, etc....

Here's a good CYA from the release...

"Performance targets, estimates and capability specifications based on computer-aided analysis and simulation using virtual engineering tools. Estimates may vary depending on model and trim. Additional model and trim details can be found at GMC.com. Actual production model and results may vary...."
Old 10-21-2020, 09:31 AM   #90

Quote:
Basic no frills in relation to the entire product range. It's relative. My point is the cheapest Hummer you can buy, even 4 yrs from now, is 80K. That's insane. I guess this allows for trickle down though into an eventual Sierra/Silverado EV while giving GM an electric "halo" truck to hoard over the masses.
I can't recall any maker announcing a price on a vehicle four years out...lol

But I guess if you make that price high enough it can be done...lol
Old 10-21-2020, 09:44 AM   #91
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
I can't recall any maker announcing a price on a vehicle four years out...lol

But I guess if you make that price high enough it can be done...lol
It's just a page from the Tesla playbook. Get people to give them lots of $100 deposits, and give them something to "want" for a long time and hopefully forget about that $100 when they eventually decide they don't want it, or otherwise. Hopefully by then, that price will actually go down a bit. It would be icing on the expensive cake. Tesla is lowering the price of some models. Ford has already lowed the price of the blasphemous Mustang Mach-E by a $1,000 to $3,000 depending on trim.

What we really "need" (I'm not actually saying I think we NEED an all electric FS truck right now) is this tech to get cheaper and hopefully we'll see it in a 45K full size pickup some day.
Old 10-21-2020, 09:44 AM   #92
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
For everyone suffering from sticker shock...

It's a Hummer. Remember that when Hummer was its own brand, it was usually found alongside Cadillac dealers.

If you take the starting MSRP of an H2 SUT from like 2005 and factor in inflation...the Hummer EV ends up starting in the same ballpark.

Also remember it's now a GMC, and GMC absolutely can command those sticker prices. Denalis are rolling off lots with people happily handing over $80-90k.

The upcoming Chevrolet EV truck will be cheaper. Supposedly have its own unique features too.
Old 10-21-2020, 10:32 AM   #93
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
For everyone suffering from sticker shock...

It's a Hummer. Remember that when Hummer was its own brand, it was usually found alongside Cadillac dealers.

If you take the starting MSRP of an H2 SUT from like 2005 and factor in inflation...the Hummer EV ends up starting in the same ballpark.

Also remember it's now a GMC, and GMC absolutely can command those sticker prices. Denalis are rolling off lots with people happily handing over $80-90k.

The upcoming Chevrolet EV truck will be cheaper. Supposedly have its own unique features too.
Certainly. You are paying for the Hummer name. Why buy this, when you can buy a Silverado Trail Boss/Sierra AT4 or EVEN a Colorado ZR2 if you want go there. All of those vehicles are just as capable as what we are seeing with the Hummer. How many people are actually going to use the Crabwalk Feature, other than initially impressing their friends in the driveway? I certainly hope that GM sells every Hummer unit, but most of the "off-road features" will never be used. The thing that sets it apart is the EV propulsion system. Other than that, it is gimmicky and very pricey.

To each their own. The truck is very sharp and humans love new products that drop the jaw. The Hummer checks these boxes, but also checks the $$$ box, when just as capable pickups can be had for ~$25k less. If you just have to own a vehicle that reads "HUMMER" across the front...go for it.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 11:12 AM   #94
RagingHawk

Drives: Fuel efficient compact sedan :)
Quote:
Pricing is out of control. I understand this level of capability and technology costs money but who can afford to buy this? The basic no frills edition will be 80K when it shows up in 4 yrs. Eighty thousand dollars base no options. I'm impressed by any other metric but come on GM.
Pricing out of control? All these new special edition EV's are commanding such prices as they are essentially the Halo car for manufacturers that are beginning to roll out their EV line. They are fully optioned out and make tons of power and are luxurious. Also the tech isn't quite as cheap right now considering the infrastructure and demand for EV's are not there yet.

For the Hummer you are getting a lot of features for this 'Edition 1'"

-1,000HP and around 1,000lb/tq(motor torque according to engineering explained)
-AWD
-350 mile plus range
-extreme off road capabilities
-Super cruise
-Very fast charging(100 miles in 10 minutes)
-Adaptive air suspension
-Ultravision camera system
-4 wheel steering
-Loaded out interior with two huge o led screens and 14 speaker audio system, etc....

It is certainly the most exciting EV that is on sale for production and is quite feature packed so the price seems fair to me. EV Trucks are not going to cheap and not going to be an true alternative for towing/dependability anytime soon. The F150 EV is rumored to have a range of 200 miles. If you want a real work truck go with the Silverado/Sierra.

Those expecting an EV truck with the same price and performance as a comparable ICE powered Silverado or Sierra are going to be disappointed. There is still another 10-20 years for the tech to reach that level.
RagingHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 11:18 AM   #95
RagingHawk

Drives: Fuel efficient compact sedan :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKS1D3 View Post
Certainly. You are paying for the Hummer name. Why buy this, when you can buy a Silverado Trail Boss/Sierra AT4 or EVEN a Colorado ZR2 if you want go there. All of those vehicles are just as capable as what we are seeing with the Hummer. How many people are actually going to use the Crabwalk Feature, other than initially impressing their friends in the driveway? I certainly hope that GM sells every Hummer unit, but most of the "off-road features" will never be used. The thing that sets it apart is the EV propulsion system. Other than that, it is gimmicky and very pricey.

To each their own. The truck is very sharp and humans love new products that drop the jaw. The Hummer checks these boxes, but also checks the $$$ box, when just as capable pickups can be had for ~$25k less. If you just have to own a vehicle that reads "HUMMER" across the front...go for it.
A lot of people will get it for the name and cool factor, like with the Mustang EV, Bronco and so on. However, this is certainly not the same as something as something like a Sierra Denali. The Sierra Denali is a real work truck that you can take on road trips without trouble and has serious towing capabilities. The Hummer is an EV halo super truck intended to wow the market before GM starts rolling out more EV's into their lineup. They want to show off the tech they have and show what they are capable.

People buying the Hummer want to try the new 'thing' out on top of wanting a truck that they won't necessarily use for work or towing purposes. And they tend to do more city driving.
RagingHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 11:18 AM   #96
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
So lots of thoughts on this vehicle.

1. Styling is so close to a home run for me. There is two negatives for me that keep it from being a home run. The big boxy fender flares why why why why. And then the front end, it almost looks perfect but something seems off. I also don't understand why most EVs you can look at and go yep thats an EV. That to me is a mistake. I think one of the reason tesla is so popular is their high end models don't look like EVs. No one is gonna confuse a Model S with a Prius.

2. Interior is a grand slam. That is all

3. This is where I don't get the point of this vehicle. I mean I am seeing a decent amount made about its off road prowess and I doubt many owners will ever leave the payment but an electric off road vehicle seems like a huge gamble. Since the bronco came out I have spent some time on off road forums and a lot of those guys worry about fuel range/carry jerry cans so they can go way out into the open and overland and stuff like that.

4. Overall impressive. It's an outside the box product for sure. Bravo to GM for doing it, and hope it works for them
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 03:21 PM   #97

The real issue: Can the frunk carry zero, one, or two sets of golf clubs?
Old 10-21-2020, 03:35 PM   #98
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Dude, that guy is awesome! I inadvertently follow him because his wife is a big spokesperson for the handicapped (she broke her back in an equestrian accident and is a paraplegic) and the guy built her an off-road buggy-type wheelchair so she could go places with him. Super cool dude.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread.

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote