Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

AWE Tuning

Old 06-24-2019, 11:06 AM   #1
ArmanSS

Drives: '18 Camaro 2SS VERT
Great tires for SS!

I thought I’d post this because it might help some people out in the future who don’t intend to put the Goodyear’s back on their car. I recently purchased some General GMAX RS ultra high performance summer tires and I wasn’t sure how they’d perform, but now that I have them, I love them. This may not help people who use their car year round in places where it gets below 40, but for people that run through a set of tires in the summer or if you live in Florida like me, they are amazing. They outperform the Goodyear’s in wet weather. I noticed a much quieter and smoother ride, especially over bumps when I bought them. I love the way they look too. It was hard to find a “Y” speed rated tire that was of good quality for a good price, so I decided to give these a try. I purchased 285s for the rear and kept the 245s in the front. They are far grippier than the Goodyear F1s, but they are not run-on-flats like the F1s. Anyways, just my two cents. Hopefully it helps people get great tires for half the price. Here’s a video comparing them to other well known brands like BFGs.

https://m.tirerack.com/tires/test-re...m=445YR7GMRSXL
ArmanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 11:14 AM   #2
craigss50

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS Fifty
Thanks. Looks like a tire I will consider and always good to save a few $$$.
craigss50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 12:17 PM   #3
cbr1100xx
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 Jetta 1.8, '19 1SS
285s have no fitment issues on the stock SS rim?
cbr1100xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 12:52 PM   #4
bdavies11

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr1100xx View Post
No. I run 255's in the front and 285's in the rear on stock SS rim. No issues.
bdavies11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 01:27 PM   #5
ArmanSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr1100xx View Post
Nope it’s perfectly fine. I actually have a friend that runs 305s on his stock 2ss with no spacers. I believe that is going too wide for the 9.5 inch rim, but he said it works.

Last edited by ArmanSS; 06-24-2019 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Forgot some info
Old 06-24-2019, 01:31 PM   #6
ArmanSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigss50 View Post
Thanks. Looks like a tire I will consider and always good to save a few $$$.
Old 06-24-2019, 02:18 PM   #7
rayhawk

Drives: Camaro SS
I have been running general tires on my Trailblazer SS for years, they perform great and are a great value. I have been through 2 sets of the Grabber UHPs and I really like them. Good wear, good traction, and so much cheaper than other options.

Have you tried any timed 0-60 runs with the new tires? I would love to replace the all seasons the prior owner put on my Camaro because they are pretty worthless when you try and launch the car. Been putting it off to save some cash for the Michelin's, but these sound like they might be worth a try.
Old 06-24-2019, 02:30 PM   #8
ArmanSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayhawk View Post
I have been running general tires on my Trailblazer SS for years, they perform great and are a great value. I have been through 2 sets of the Grabber UHPs and I really like them. Good wear, good traction, and so much cheaper than other options.

Have you tried any timed 0-60 runs with the new tires? I would love to replace the all seasons the prior owner put on my Camaro because they are pretty worthless when you try and launch the car. Been putting it off to save some cash for the Michelin's, but these sound like they might be worth a try.
I haven’t tried any 0-60 runs yet but I’ll definitely try it later tonight or tomorrow and let you know.
Old 06-24-2019, 03:18 PM   #9
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
I bought Cooper RS3. Smoother, good tracking, cornering and bite...American made.
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 04:22 PM   #10
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
When I had my 2016 SS I had Continental Extreme Contact Sport tires put on about 8 months before I traded it on my 2017 ZL1. The front size was stock 245/40 but the rear was 285/35 and those tires were excellent in rain and dry conditions. Don’t know what tire I will put on the ZL1 when the originals wear out as not many choices in those sizes are available.
Old 06-24-2019, 05:02 PM   #11
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MackSteelPrivateEye View Post
I bought Cooper RS3. Smoother, good tracking, cornering and bite...American made.
Nope, made in China.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 05:37 PM   #12
Walt88

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Last year I got General G-Max AS-05's, and they are hands down the best daily driving tires I've ever had. This is comparing them to the stock Eagle F1's, Nitto 555's, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A's, Pirelli P Zero's, Toyo Proxies and Continental DWS 06's which I had on my previous Camaro. All of the aforementioned tires had great qualities overall but usually fell flat in one or two departments. Like the Toyo's were great for 6 months then started to turn rock hard, and the Nitto's were garbage in the rain. But these Generals? They have virtually the same grip in the wet and dry, cold or hot, they actually do decent in snow, and after a year and a half of useage and a Syracuse NY winter and are just as tacky as when I got em last year (And I still have 60% tread life left!) There may be better tires for the track or as dedicated snow tires, but nothing I've ever driven actually does everything reasonably well. I don't think I will buy anything else going forward. Literally cannot recommend these tires enough!
Walt88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 05:47 PM   #13
oslouie

Drives: 2018 2SS M6 Redline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt88 View Post
Last year I got General G-Max AS-05's, and they are hands down the best daily driving tires I've ever had. This is comparing them to the stock Eagle F1's, Nitto 555's, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A's, Pirelli P Zero's, Toyo Proxies and Continental DWS 06's which I had on my previous Camaro. All of the aforementioned tires had great qualities overall but usually fell flat in one or two departments. Like the Toyo's were great for 6 months then started to turn rock hard, and the Nitto's were garbage in the rain. But these Generals? They have virtually the same grip in the wet and dry, cold or hot, they actually do decent in snow, and after a year and a half of useage and a Syracuse NY winter and are just as tacky as when I got em last year (And I still have 60% tread life left!) There may be better tires for the track or as dedicated snow tires, but nothing I've ever driven actually does everything reasonably well. I don't think I will buy anything else going forward. Literally cannot recommend these tires enough!
I'm probably going with these as well. I had the AS-03's on my 5th gen and was pretty satisfied.
oslouie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 05:56 PM   #14
sav03cobra
SS Copbait R.I.

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmanSS View Post
I thought I’d post this because it might help some people out in the future who don’t intend to put the Goodyear’s back on their car. I recently purchased some General GMAX RS ultra high performance summer tires and I wasn’t sure how they’d perform, but now that I have them, I love them. This may not help people who use their car year round in places where it gets below 40, but for people that run through a set of tires in the summer or if you live in Florida like me, they are amazing. They outperform the Goodyear’s in wet weather. I noticed a much quieter and smoother ride, especially over bumps when I bought them. I love the way they look too. It was hard to find a “Y” speed rated tire that was of good quality for a good price, so I decided to give these a try. I purchased 285s for the rear and kept the 245s in the front. They are far grippier than the Goodyear F1s, but they are not run-on-flats like the F1s. Anyways, just my two cents. Hopefully it helps people get great tires for half the price. Here’s a video comparing them to other well known brands like BFGs.

https://m.tirerack.com/tires/test-re...m=445YR7GMRSXL

What specific sizes? I couldn't find on Tirerack's website...
sav03cobra is offline   Reply With Quote