Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 06-22-2019, 09:48 PM   #1
oslouie

Drives: 2018 2SS M6 Redline
V6 and V8 NPP exhaust interchangable?

I couldn't really find a definite answer so I'm wondering...besides the difference in pipe OD, are there any negative effects of using the NPP exhaust from a V6 on a V8?
oslouie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 10:52 PM   #2
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by oslouie View Post
I couldn't really find a definite answer so I'm wondering...besides the difference in pipe OD, are there any negative effects of using the NPP exhaust from a V6 on a V8?
All I've got is speculation so I'd suggest for someone with a more definite answer to come by, but I think the hangers and everything for fitment are the same. The autos have AFM valves before the muffler I believe but there's some confusion there for me personally. The tips fit any NPP diffuser (ZL1 diffuser only fits ZL1 apparently so don't get one of those), the difference I think is SS NPP has bigger pipes maybe and the ZL1 has nicer tips.

Again, I'm just speculating and guessing here. I too want to know the answer to this. I picked up a ZL1 exhaust from a kind user from here, then I realized there are no AFM valves on it. But apparently, mine doesn't have the AFM valves I see on all the other exhausts either...
Bumbleboy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 10:59 PM   #3
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Isn't much but here's some comparison's I could get

v6

SS

ZL1

Edit: I just realized the v6 is from my auto car. Not NPP. so it's different. Can't find a picture of a NPP v6 at the moment.
Old 06-23-2019, 09:36 AM   #4
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Op, why would you put a V6 NPP exhaust on a V8 Camaro SS? The logical way to go is put a used takeoff ZL1 or aftermarket exhaust for an SS on the car!
Old 06-23-2019, 08:40 PM   #5
oslouie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Greg View Post
Op, why would you put a V6 NPP exhaust on a V8 Camaro SS? The logical way to go is put a used takeoff ZL1 or aftermarket exhaust for an SS on the car!
Because my brother has a v6 with NPP and was wanting to go aftermarket so I figured if they are interchangeable, then that would be the cheapest route.
Old 06-23-2019, 09:31 PM   #6
Trochoidal

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
So here are a few diagrams for reference.

This one is showing for the V6:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-G...MAAOSwjRpZQz4J

This one is showing for the V8:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-G...AAAOSwbiFZQ2-s

Maybe the part numbers are from GM and you can find better images and/or diagrams.

The immediate differences are the location of the cats.

Last edited by Trochoidal; 06-23-2019 at 09:33 PM. Reason: More information
Trochoidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 01:48 AM   #7
oslouie

Can someone confirm that the zl1 npp suitcase will fit an SS? Dont want to make the drive if it's not going to line up.
Old 07-25-2019, 11:16 PM   #8
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Quote:
Originally Posted by oslouie View Post
Can someone confirm that the zl1 npp suitcase will fit an SS? Dont want to make the drive if it's not going to line up.
Should fit, I think the main difference is the tips are different but they fit.

I have a ZL1 exhaust that I'm gonna put on my v6 and don't see any issue with its fitment so the SS should be good.
Old 07-25-2019, 11:24 PM   #9
oslouie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumbleboy92 View Post
Should fit, I think the main difference is the tips are different but they fit.

I have a ZL1 exhaust that I'm gonna put on my v6 and don't see any issue with its fitment so the SS should be good.
I found a thread where Ryephile was one to replace his SS NPP exhaust for one from a ZL1 due to an accident. I messaged him asking for confirmation and says that the only change is probably the tips because everything else was identical. He also said that there's less gap between the exhaust tips and the valance cut-outs. No clue as to the v6 working on a v8 model though.

Last edited by oslouie; 07-26-2019 at 04:19 PM.
Old 07-26-2019, 05:31 PM   #10
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
I know the tips are bigger on a ZL1 but I don’t think you could get a ZL1 exhaust on a V6 easy. The pipes are bigger and everything is different on a V8 as opposed to a V6! If the systems were the same then GM would list the same part number for both the 6 and 8!