Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 06-22-2019, 11:09 AM   #15
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
I would suspect that the main reason that it’s limited to 155 mph is because it is a convertible! I can’t imagine what it would look like if a vert flipped and rolled over due to an accident at that speed or above! Most likely whoever is in the car would be killed and the car completely destroyed! Of course if a coupe had a similar accident then the passengers would be killed too. Maybe it’s something to do with Insurance companies because it costs more to insure a convertible with State Farm than my ZL1 coupe or the SS coupe I had. Just my observations on the subject and not putting up an argument for or against.
Old 06-22-2019, 12:37 PM   #16
ArmanSS

Drives: '18 Camaro 2SS VERT
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Greg View Post
I would suspect that the main reason that it’s limited to 155 mph is because it is a convertible! I can’t imagine what it would look like if a vert flipped and rolled over due to an accident at that speed or above! Most likely whoever is in the car would be killed and the car completely destroyed! Of course if a coupe had a similar accident then the passengers would be killed too. Maybe it’s something to do with Insurance companies because it costs more to insure a convertible with State Farm than my ZL1 coupe or the SS coupe I had. Just my observations on the subject and not putting up an argument for or against.
Yeah I think that you’re reasoning makes the most sense. If you intend to go those speeds, you should know the risks you’re taking, coupe or convertible.
ArmanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 05:14 PM   #17
wnta1ss

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafourche1 View Post
I can't speak to the convertible, but the coupe is not limited to 198MPH. In fact it has been clocked at the VW test facility at 202MPH (somewhat wind aided). The average speed of runs in both directions was 198MPH and is usually accepted as the top speed of the car.
The limiter in the ZL1 Coupe is set at 206, but of course, if the speedometer is reading high, then it could kick in at a lower true speed. From reading that ZL1 Coupe file that I got the limiter data from, the tire calibration, to me, says that the speedometer will probably read a little bit high.
wnta1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 05:39 PM   #18
SnakeEyeSS

Drives: Camaro 2SS & ZL1
Where are you going to be going over 155 anyway? Not too many tracks would have the room in a stock geared car.
Old 06-22-2019, 07:37 PM   #19
ArmanSS

Drives: '18 Camaro 2SS VERT
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeEyeSS View Post
Where are you going to be going over 155 anyway? Not too many tracks would have the room in a stock geared car.
Yes but I think the whole purpose of this car, and the reason we all bought it, is solely based on something only males understand, and that is the notion of “not because we will or because we need to, but because we can”. Just knowing we have the ability to do something is what I’m after.
ArmanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 05:23 AM   #20
Silverado57

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmanSS View Post
Yes but I think the whole purpose of this car, and the reason we all bought it, is solely based on something only males understand, and that is the notion of “not because we will or because we need to, but because we can”. Just knowing we have the ability to do something is what I’m after.
When I bought my convertible SS, tracking it was never a consideration. We bought it for the drop top, with the V8 being a nice bonus. I'm still not concerned about top speed. There aren't that many public roads in NJ where you can go over 90 or 100 without running into trouble.

But the exhilarating lightning quick acceleration that presses you into your seat - that's the thing I love about it.
Old 06-23-2019, 06:08 AM   #21
Cmax

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS FIFTY convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverado57 View Post
When I bought my convertible SS, tracking it was never a consideration. We bought it for the drop top, with the V8 being a nice bonus. I'm still not concerned about top speed. There aren't that many public roads in NJ where you can go over 90 or 100 without running into trouble.

But the exhilarating lightning quick acceleration that presses you into your seat - that's the thing I love about it.
That.

Last edited by Cmax; 06-23-2019 at 08:03 AM.
Cmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 08:40 AM   #22
Cmax

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS FIFTY convertible
I need to add three things:
1. My guess is 99.9% of all Camaros never get over 150 mph.... ever
2. When the top is down, the sound and feel of 455 pounds of ground pounding torque can’t be heard and felt the same as when the top is up with the windows down. Top down, it feels like driving a go cart on steroids. A coupe feels safer, so the illusion of speed and danger (adrenaline) is not at the same level. Just like a go cart makes you think you are going faster than you are....
3. I happen to think the coupe looks better with the reverse Mohawk, but I would still choose the vert, mostly because it’s faster. (See point 2)
Cmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 08:57 AM   #23
driven2exceSS

Drives: 2016 2SS BLK A8 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverado57 View Post
When I bought my convertible SS, tracking it was never a consideration. We bought it for the drop top, with the V8 being a nice bonus.:
That was may case, now not so much! Now it's a "track car". A handicapped one at that. But it is holding it's own, for now!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmax View Post
3. I happen to think the coupe looks better with the reverse Mohawk, but I would still choose the vert, mostly because it’s faster. (See point 2)
Made me laugh.
NPP, MRC, Tinted side & rear reflectors, OEM ZL1 Rockers / 3rd Brake / Darken tail lights, OEM Blk rear splash guards, Satin hood wrap, Fuse pull, Sound tube delete, Cat delete, Ported 95 TB, Ported MSD IM, Dry RotoFab, ARH 1 7/8 headers, E85, "Performance Dyno" Tune, BMR "pieces", "Track" alignment, Hawk DCT-70/70's w/SRF, Goodridge lines, Ti shims, Red powdered calipers, 18" APEX SM-10's w/ Pirelli DH's, FE4 Vert swaybars, Brake cooling ducts, ATI 10% UD, Vorshlag camber plates, OEM 1LE Splitter w/APR Ext., Velossa BIG MOUTH Ram Air, CF QA1, ZLE brakes(F)
driven2exceSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 11:11 AM   #24
LT4Greg

I still can’t understand why someone would want to go over 155 mph in a convertible! I wouldn’t be riding in one at that speed or faster! It’s just me though.
Old 06-23-2019, 08:36 PM   #25
bignaz

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Greg View Post
I still can’t understand why someone would want to go over 155 mph in a convertible! I wouldn’t be riding in one at that speed or faster! It’s just me though.
Yeah I mean 155+ even a coupe your odds of survival are pretty low. On a vert your dead. The loss of structure seals that fate. I mean not much better chance in a coupe but you might live after being cut out. Your quality of life will be pretty bad but slightly better chance then a vert.
bignaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 09:26 AM   #26
Lafourche1

Drives: 2019 CLA 450 Mercedes
I would just add that the limiting factor on both the coupe SS and coupe ZL1 is drag. The big chunk of metal needing to push a hole in the air takes a lot of horsepower. The convertible would have much more drag with the top down and likely more drag with the top up.

I put this in another thread along with the comment that I have no clue about the drag co-efficient of the Camaros (or Mustangs in that thread) and do not care to dig to find out (I don't care).

At these speeds (155, 180 or 200 miles per hour) the forces of physics are staggering. Ask Richard Hammond. He's been subject to these laws of physics, more than once. He is still suffering from memory issues from the last encounter.
Lafourche1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 04:30 PM   #27
LT4Greg

Maybe that’s the reason the ZL1s aren’t doing well in NASCAR this year and last! They have too much drag and of course the recessed grill area doesn’t help either! Of course the racecar is a lot different to the street version anyway.
Old 06-24-2019, 04:32 PM   #28
LT4Greg

Agreed bignaz!!