Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-21-2019, 05:50 AM   #1
ArmanSS

Drives: '18 Camaro 2SS VERT
Convertible Top Speed?

It is my understanding that the convertible SS has a top speed of 155mph. I want to understand why. The tires that came with it have the same speed rating as the coupe which goes 180. Is GM worried about the top flying off past speeds of 155?
ArmanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 06:06 AM   #2
wnta1ss

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmanSS View Post
It is my understanding that the convertible SS has a top speed of 155mph. I want to understand why. The tires that came with it have the same speed rating as the coupe which goes 180. Is GM worried about the top flying off past speeds of 155?
They place a limiter in the ECU at 155 in the 'vert SS instead of 180 like the coupe SS. As far as why, (just guessing here) it might be that they consider the car to NOT be intended for race track use. I say that because they left off the auxiliary coolers and the brake cooling ducts that are used on the coupe SS. I have no idea if the soft top has any issues with integrity at somewhat higher speeds.
wnta1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 06:52 AM   #3
Cmax

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS FIFTY convertible
LOL..... I opened this thread thinking it was a question of how long it took for the top to go up, or down.
I had the answer too. I did side by side driveway race with my neighbor who has a 2016 mustang vert. Granted, his isn’t a GT, but the hp and torque of his top is the same as a GT.
I beat his lil pony by 1.67 seconds.... and I did it from my porch, with my remote control, while multitasking with a lager in my other hand.
Cmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 07:00 AM   #4
ArmanSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnta1ss View Post
They place a limiter in the ECU at 155 in the 'vert SS instead of 180 like the coupe SS. As far as why, (just guessing here) it might be that they consider the car to NOT be intended for race track use. I say that because they left off the auxiliary coolers and the brake cooling ducts that are used on the coupe SS. I have no idea if the soft top has any issues with integrity at somewhat higher speeds.
Man the vert gets screwed on the cooling system? That’s a bummer
Old 06-21-2019, 07:02 AM   #5
driven2exceSS

Drives: 2016 2SS BLK A8 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmax View Post
LOL..... I opened this thread thinking it was a question of how long it took for the top to go up, or down.
I had the answer too. I did side by side driveway race with my neighbor who has a 2016 mustang vert. Granted, his isn’t a GT, but the hp and torque of his top is the same as a GT.
I beat his lil pony by 1.67 seconds.... and I did it from my porch, with my remote control, while multitasking with a lager in my other hand.
lmfao
NPP, MRC, Tinted side & rear reflectors, OEM ZL1 Rockers / 3rd Brake / Darken tail lights, OEM Blk rear splash guards, Satin hood wrap, Fuse pull, Sound tube delete, Cat delete, Ported 95 TB, Ported MSD IM, Dry RotoFab, ARH 1 7/8 headers, E85, "Performance Dyno" Tune, BMR "pieces", "Track" alignment, Hawk DCT-70/70's w/SRF, Goodridge lines, Ti shims, Red powdered calipers, 18" APEX SM-10's w/ Pirelli DH's, FE4 Vert swaybars, Brake cooling ducts, ATI 10% UD, Vorshlag camber plates, OEM 1LE Splitter w/APR Ext., Velossa BIG MOUTH Ram Air, CF QA1, ZLE brakes(F)
driven2exceSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 07:05 AM   #6
Silverado57

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmax View Post
Funny stuff. Thanks for the laugh.
Old 06-21-2019, 01:33 PM   #7
shinbone

Drives: 2017 SS CONVERTIBLE
Quote:
Anyone know if this can be tuned out?
shinbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 03:24 PM   #8
ArmanSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinbone View Post
Anyone know if this can be tuned out?
It can be, I had a guy quote me $250 at a tune shop to do it. But I want to make sure going those speeds, given the right conditions, is “safe”. I don’t want the top to fly off or anything else to happen.
Old 06-21-2019, 03:55 PM   #9
Lafourche1

Drives: 2019 CLA 450 Mercedes
I think that you should consider that any convertible is inherently less rigid than any fixed roof car of the same type. There are differences even on the ZL1 convertible in that it lacks the eDIF. The lack of cooling would seem to indicate that the car was not intended for the track. If it were, there would likely be a roll bar / roll cage as part of the package (most tracks / HPDE events, etc. require something of this sort).

Consider the forces at play at speeds of ~155MPH. That is Cat5 hurricane winds. Those blow down towns.
Lafourche1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 04:13 PM   #10
ArmanSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafourche1 View Post
I think that you should consider that any convertible is inherently less rigid than any fixed roof car of the same type. There are differences even on the ZL1 convertible in that it lacks the eDIF. The lack of cooling would seem to indicate that the car was not intended for the track. If it were, there would likely be a roll bar / roll cage as part of the package (most tracks / HPDE events, etc. require something of this sort).

Consider the forces at play at speeds of ~155MPH. That is Cat5 hurricane winds. Those blow down towns.
Very true, but the ZL1 convertible is limited to 198mph just like the coupe.
Old 06-21-2019, 04:19 PM   #11
Lafourche1

Drives: 2019 CLA 450 Mercedes
Quote:
Very true, but the ZL1 convertible is limited to 198mph just like the coupe.
I can't speak to the convertible, but the coupe is not limited to 198MPH. In fact it has been clocked at the VW test facility at 202MPH (somewhat wind aided). The average speed of runs in both directions was 198MPH and is usually accepted as the top speed of the car.

The 2017 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 is Capable of 200+ MPH

https://www.motortrend.com/news/the-...le-of-200-mph/

Convertible
<LI class="quick-specs-table-item g-fw">
Top Speed:
185 mph (Est.)

https://www.topspeed.com/cars/chevro...-ar172126.html
Lafourche1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 04:28 PM   #12
ArmanSS

Quote:
I can't speak to the convertible, but the coupe is not limited to 198MPH. In fact it has been clocked at the VW test facility at 202MPH (somewhat wind aided). The average speed of runs in both directions was 198MPH and is usually accepted as the top speed of the car.

The 2017 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 is Capable of 200+ MPH

https://www.motortrend.com/news/the-...le-of-200-mph/

Convertible
<LI class="quick-specs-table-item g-fw">
Top Speed:
185 mph (Est.)

https://www.topspeed.com/cars/chevro...-ar172126.html
I gotcha. I wish I did my research a little further before buying it. I could have almost gotten a ZL1 for what I paid for my vert...and it can't even go over 155
Old 06-21-2019, 06:44 PM   #13
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:

The ZL1 vert has all the same cooling as the Z coupe. I say this to clarify the above just in case someone takes the bold out of context...
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 08:37 PM   #14
ArmanSS

I did some research and the SS convertible has all the same options as the coupe in regards to the cooling system aside from the aux coolant cooler and the brake ducts. That doesn’t seam like enough to justify why it would be limited to 25mph slower than the coupe. But maybe in GMs mind they thought that was enough.