Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

AWE Tuning

Old 06-15-2019, 11:13 PM   #15
Boosted_ST
LT1 1LE

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE HPB
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Ditto my thoughts.

One thing to keep it mind is that dealers might be putting in Mobil 1 ESP Formula 0W40 as part of std fill now. So the OP should check what oil his car was filled with.
I just checked my invoice and it says 5W30.

So it's not even about changing oil frequently. It's all about doing 5W40 (or 0W40) for sustained high-speed driving.

Got it. Thank you!
Boosted_ST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 11:23 PM   #16
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted_ST View Post

So it's not even about changing oil frequently. It's all about doing 5W40 (or 0W40) for sustained high-speed driving.

Got it. Thank you!
You got it
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 03:07 AM   #17
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
driven ls30 is 5w30 oil that far exceeds the dexos spec for the car. the oil you use does not have to have the dexos name on it. it only has to meet the specifications. any full synthetic does.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 09:32 AM   #18
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
driven ls30 is 5w30 oil that far exceeds the dexos spec for the car. the oil you use does not have to have the dexos name on it. it only has to meet the specifications. any full synthetic does.
GM warranty specific Dexos requirements aside, this is a WRONG viscosity for track duty. Reference your owner's manual please.
Old 06-16-2019, 09:55 AM   #19
LS3JM

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Ditto my thoughts.

One thing to keep it mind is that dealers might be putting in Mobil 1 ESP Formula 0W40 as part of std fill now. So the OP should check what oil his car was filled with.
Mobil 1 0w-40 ESP is what I did put in the car.
LS3JM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 01:16 PM   #20
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
op never asked about track duty. and all i said was what driven LS30 is. hes asking about DI30 though witch also far exceeds the dexos spec. GM just loves people who shove that has to have dexos label on it bull shit. GM dexos requirement is a spec. if the oil exceeds the spec your fine. GM tried to pull that bull shit with companies. Told the companies they had to pay a large amount of money to put the dexos label on there bottles. most companies said no.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 01:29 PM   #21
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS3JM View Post
Mobil 1 0w-40 ESP is what I did put in the car.
Sweet!
Old 06-16-2019, 01:36 PM   #22
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
op never asked about track duty. and all i said was what driven LS30 is. hes asking about DI30 though witch also far exceeds the dexos spec. GM just loves people who shove that has to have dexos label on it bull shit. GM dexos requirement is a spec. if the oil exceeds the spec your fine. GM tried to pull that bull shit with companies. Told the companies they had to pay a large amount of money to put the dexos label on there bottles. most companies said no.
If you dont use a quote it is hard to figure out what you're replying to 2 pages into a thread. Dexos certification is not BS. It is a warranty requirement stated black on white. Btw most companies said yes. Look them up on www.gmdexos.com

GM is no different than any other manufacturer who imposes certifications to ensure proper quality of oil on a global level. BMW, Benz, Porsche, etc all do the same.
And those oils dont cost any more than others so no real reason not to follow stated requirements imo.
Cheers!
Old 06-19-2019, 09:56 PM   #23
Boosted_ST
LT1 1LE

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE HPB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha1BC View Post
The simplistic explanation is any xW-30 oil will have a lower viscosity than a xW-40 or xW-50 weight oil once they reach normal operating temps. With lower viscosity, you'll be risking damaging engine internals because of the combined higher temps and engine loads that come with track use. Becomes much more of a technical topic once you start considering different additives that are in different brands of oil.
Funny story: just spoke with a technician, a service manager, from a local performance shop. He said he recommends 5W30 (Motul, full synthetic).
Boosted_ST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 11:10 PM   #24
TrackClub

Quote:
Funny story: just spoke with a technician, a service manager, from a local performance shop. He said he recommends 5W30 (Motul, full synthetic).
I also have a funny story: a service manager from a local performance shop doesn't offer a 5 yrs drive train warranty

BTW Motul has some oils on Dexos list. One still has to pick the right grade tho. 5w30 Dexos1 gen2 is perfectly fine for dd. But not for track.
Old 06-20-2019, 06:30 AM   #25
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
lol
Yeah, I'd rather trust the engineers and manufacture that stand behind their product for recommended lubricants, than a couple guys at a local shop who work on what now?
Old 06-20-2019, 08:55 AM   #26
Alpha1BC

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Quote:

It's about both, refer to the owner's manual and high performance supplement. For using the SS 1LE on the track, switch to a Dexos2 approved 5W-40 or 0W-40 oil (page 204 of 2017 manual) and change the oil after every 4 hrs of track time (page 15 of the 2018 high performance supplement).

Quote:
As TrackClub and Boost Creep both pointed out, one service manager recommending it doesn't mean it's correct. Ask your service manager if they'll replace your engine if 5W-30 fries it on track and show them what's written in the manual. You should get a different answer after that

GM still covers your car under warranty for track use if you follow the guidelines set in the owners manual and high performance supplement, which includes using a dexos2 5W-40 or 0W-40 oil.