Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Member Car Journals

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-26-2022, 03:28 PM   #1
Evansa22

Drives: HBM ZLE
Herold motorsports build

2018 hyper blue metallic ZLE
Started off with first round of mods about a year ago.
Installed myself at the house.
CSP 2" headers
Rotofab big gulp
NW 103mm tb
MAD ported supercharger w/ stock size griptech pulley
DSX flex fuel sensor
Katech 174* thermostat
Firecore wires with pro mod boots
NGK plugs
MM mild catch can with road course top
ADM v2 supercharger coolant reservoir
JMS voltage boost
AEM wideband
Aeroforce interceptor gauge
ZZP A pillar dual gauge pod
ATI balancer with DSX 8.6 lower pulley
All SPL suspensions parts front and rear except rear knuckle heim upgrade
Herold Motorsports custom engine tune

No baseline numbers but hit 577 whp 610 wtq on a Dynomite Dynomometer. All street tuning. According to the shop, typical dyno numbers are 15-18% lower than dynojet. Dynoed on e27 and highside was at the edge with .80 lambda.

Round 2
2/19/22,
Parts had already been ordered and took the car out for one last romp. Oil pump failed at 15k miles on the way back into town after 2 hours of driving. Towed home, then ordered transport. Car was picked up yesterday, Houston bound. Sent to Spencer at Herold motorsports.
Mods,
Katech oil pump
MAD ported heads with ferrea super alloy exhaust valves and port matched w/ the supercharger
CHE trunnion upgrade and bronze valve guides
Johnson short travel slow leak down lifters
DOD delete kit with custom valley cover
PAC .660 lift dual valve springs
Manton pushrods
C7.R timing chain
Herold Motorsports custom ground LT4.R camshaft with 38% fuel lobe
ARP hardware
PLM standard size heat exchanger
Pierburg CWA 100-3 intercooler pump
Magnaflow xpipe muffler w/ 3" inlets and outlets
Herold motorsports dyno and street tuning (MAF and VVE)

Car should get there tomorrow and once parts are received install will begin. Pretty excited at this point and can't wait to see the results. Our wedding is at the end of March and hoping It'll be back in my possession by then. Worked with Spencer since day 1 on mods and goals. Great guy and always answers any questions and quick with advice, especially when I was installing first round of mods.

Question now is do I fly there and drive it back 1500 miles, or have the guy who drove it out there bring it back. Will get that figured out in the next couple weeks, time to make some more POWER
Evansa22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 06:20 AM   #2
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
I would not trust someone else to drive that car back. I can see them on the open road nailing the throttle on a new build. And no, I would not trust someone even if they're my best friend from grade school, the best man at my wedding, etc. The temptation is too strong and they will beat on that car and something somewhere along those 1500 miles will break and they'll act shocked and surprised and you'll be stuck with the bill.

I also personally would not attempt to drive it back that many miles myself. It is a fresh new build and if something goes wrong halfway to home then you're gonna be stuck on the road and will have to ship it right back and then find yourself a ride.

My suggestion is to have it transported to you. At 1500 miles you're looking at like somewhere around $1200 or so. But it will get to you in a couple days and you can go over the entire car and drive it around town and listen to it and look for anything that may need attention. If you go that route then see if the tuner can program a rev limit on it that you can remove when it gets to you. But that is what I would do.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 04:19 PM   #3
Evansa22

Car arrived today in Texas, other than a cracked front grill the driver will be paying for, all is good. Car is all locked up in the shop.

I've been stuck between driving it back, or having it shipped. However the shop owner hopes to have it all wrapped up by TX2K and says I should come pick it up and roll with his group there for the last night. After the minor damage shipping it there, my gut is telling me I should go have some fun and drive it back. Threw a spare in the car before it left in case i decided to drive it home also.

Car will be street and dyno tuned, will be dialed in before I go pick it up. If the builder/tuner has no issue with me driving it home, I should have no worries about it. Car has been pretty much rock solid except for the oil pump. Still got some time to think about it
Old 02-27-2022, 05:40 PM   #4
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evansa22 View Post
Car arrived today in Texas, other than a cracked front grill the driver will be paying for, all is good. Car is all locked up in the shop.
Yea because he was probably doing something he shouldn't have been doing. WHich is a shame that a person can't use common sense when entrusted with a $70K+ high performance sports car that belongs to someone else. I honestly think people do this stuff intentionally out of jealousy. Or their jealousy makes them careless and not GAF about it because it doesn't belong to them. I hope you never trust that guy with anything else ever again. Because he did that on purpose. And at least the shop has the good sense to lock it up inside so nothing will happen to it.

Quote:
I've been stuck between driving it back, or having it shipped. However the shop owner hopes to have it all wrapped up by TX2K and says I should come pick it up and roll with his group there for the last night. After the minor damage shipping it there, my gut is telling me I should go have some fun and drive it back. Threw a spare in the car before it left in case i decided to drive it home also.

Car will be street and dyno tuned, will be dialed in before I go pick it up. If the builder/tuner has no issue with me driving it home, I should have no worries about it. Car has been pretty much rock solid except for the oil pump. Still got some time to think about it
After what happened I would say just go get it yourself and drive it back. You can't trust anyone these days. Hopefully you'll get it back in time to go over it and make sure it is running properly and get out to the event with the rest of the guys. It should be making some really good power and it'll be a blast to drive.
Old 02-28-2022, 12:04 AM   #5
Evansa22

Car was shipped out using a transportation service, fully insured and bonded so the minor issue will be resolved. Unfortunately, the car in front of it loosened up just enough to rock back and bump the grill. Tow hook saved it from any other damage, and it was all documented and signed by the driver and shop owner. The Shop did a complete look over on the car and determined the extent of damage on arrival.

Not gonna lose any sleep on it, just can't wait to get her back. Should be fun
Old 03-01-2022, 10:48 AM   #6
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
Car was shipped out using a transportation service, fully insured and bonded so the minor issue will be resolved. Unfortunately, the car in front of it loosened up just enough to rock back and bump the grill. Tow hook saved it from any other damage, and it was all documented and signed by the driver and shop owner. The Shop did a complete look over on the car and determined the extent of damage on arrival.

Not gonna lose any sleep on it, just can't wait to get her back. Should be fun
Ah ok in that case I retract my previous statements. LOL!! But yea I can't wait to see the results. You should pick up a significant amount of power and I'm sure you'll feel the difference. If I remember, it was either you or another person who was debating on going with an aftermarket blower vs porting the stock one due to feeling like the aftermarket blowers might not spool up as fast. So to me, switching to ported heads and a cam and just porting the stock blower should give you the best of both worlds.
Old 04-13-2022, 06:08 PM   #7
Evansa22

Getting there...
Attached Images

Old 04-13-2022, 06:12 PM   #8
Evansa22

Couple more
Attached Images

Old 04-16-2022, 04:47 PM   #9
Evansa22

About ready to fire up
Attached Images

Old 04-16-2022, 05:18 PM   #10
nprario

Drives: 2017 1ss 1le HBM
Man, that is pretty exciting. Can't wait to get out with you on a run when you get it back. You might be leaving black lines from corner to corner
nprario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 02:42 PM   #11
Evansa22

Haha hopefully, I'm sure you'll still be on my ass
Can't wait to get it back and run it.
About ready to fire up and start tuning..
Attached Images

Old 04-21-2022, 02:15 PM   #12
Evansa22

About done tuning
Attached Images

Old 04-21-2022, 02:34 PM   #13
WillyZ83

Drives: 18 zl1 garnet red
I just saw the dyno run on Instagram, nice build and making some nice power! Herold did the tuning and build on my SS as well. I'm in Houston and would refer to him to anyone in the area

2022 zl1 740hp / 730tq stolen
2018 zl1 Maggie - 2" headers - flex fuel - lowside fuel ssytem - +30 injectors - cordes ice tank - spl rear linkage arms
WillyZ83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 08:02 PM   #14
Evansa22

Right on, he is definitely a talented tuner and knows his stuff