Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Thread Closed

Old 11-14-2017, 08:15 PM   #29
glamcem

Drives: '19 RivrsdBlu 1LE ('17 1LE HB sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RXtacy View Post
FWIW this is what 18x10.5 +22 fitment looks like.

There's good caliper clearance for the 1LE 6 piston calipers.
Thanks for the pictures. I wouldn't worry about the poke since we have tons of whee droop and it changes when the car sits on the wheels.

I would expect to see a bit more clearance with 10mm spacer (+12mm effective offset) and -2.6 camber though. For someone who wants to avoid grinding or camber plates +10 or +11mm offset might be a bit better maybe.

This is how mine looks with 8mm spacer and -3.0 camber (with grinding of course)
Old 11-14-2017, 08:18 PM   #30
RXtacy

Drives: 93 RX-7, 17 SS 1LE, 04 RX-8
What's interesting to me is how much farther inboard the spot welds on your struts are than mine. Mine are right up against the edge, where it looks like yours are a few mm inboard.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:23 PM   #31
glamcem

Quote:
What's interesting to me is how much farther inboard the spot welds on your struts are than mine. Mine are right up against the edge, where it looks like yours are a few mm inboard.
Right? I was gonna say that then I thought it might be just the angle but I think you're right. Mine seems like it has some advantage there (for further grinding if ever needed)
Old 11-14-2017, 08:44 PM   #32
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamcem View Post
18" wheels/tires would be game changer for sure

Quick comparison :

OEM wheels/tires weigh about 60 lbs on each corner
18 " Apex SM10 wheels and R7 tires about 45 lbs!! (

That's a total of 15 lbs difference on each corner and total of 60lbs rotational weight reduction. For the reference, that is the difference puts the GT350R apart from the GT350 with its carbon fiber wheels. For track use, I cannot think of a better improvement for the money
I would definitely switch to 18’s if the right set came out
Old 11-14-2017, 08:56 PM   #33
RUQWIKR

Drives: 1LEs
Quote:
Also ZL1 1LE specific wheel specs will only work on ZL1 1LE (duh) and probably the previous Gen Z28 as they both had Multimatics and fender clearance. Although the rear fitment will be fine, the front will rub (Sean used them at the Laguna Seca) and some spacers will be required to be able to run more than -2.5 camber. ZL1 owners have the wider fenders but they still have the same struts so inner clearance issue will still be there.
As discussed in other threads, I have used my OEM ZL1 1LE wheels and G3R's on my 17 SS 1LE with no spacers with no rubbing in multiple events, and this is with almost -2.8 front camber. With just some profile grinding of the struts, which all kinds of guys have done to fit certain dimension wheels in, they work just fine with Mag struts. They do poke a bit up front, but, I think it looks fine, but, the negative camber helps.

I think if APEX or someone offers the OEM ZL1 1LE fitments, there will be buyers.
Old 11-15-2017, 11:10 AM   #34
OminouSS

Drives: Red Hot track candy
Quote:
Unfortunately, running a square setup is not an easy task for 10.5" or 11 wheels up front without having too much poke in the rear and/or having some grinding, 10-15 mm spacer and of course longer wheel studs because of the thick spacers up front.

Another option is to get some camber plates but I'm personally not a big fan of them and not sure how many people would be willing to install them (especially after hearing the failures). It still won't address the issue of having the offset delta between front and rear by the way.

You can of course run 19x10" or 18x10" wheels but it would be a downgrade at the road course track all things being equal (running used slicks or R7s is not everyone's cup of coffee)

Also ZL1 1LE specific wheel specs will only work on ZL1 1LE (duh) and probably the previous Gen Z28 as they both had Multimatics and fender clearance. Although the rear fitment will be fine, the front will rub (Sean used them at the Laguna Seca) and some spacers will be required to be able to run more than -2.5 camber. ZL1 owners have the wider fenders but they still have the same struts so inner clearance issue will still be there. For the reference, going from 10" with +20mm offset to 11" with +11 mm offset will move the tires 22mm further out and result in 4mm less clearance inside which will probably be an issue with aggressive camber.

I think the most ideal setup for a broader audience would be something like :

19x10.5" +14 (same inner clerance, 12mm furher out) offset for the front for clerance and camber and
19x11.5" +37mm offset (same inner clerance, 12mm further out) so the overall track width for both front and rear would remain the same.
Having 19x12" with around +35-40mm would still work for the rear

For the 18" wheels (SS and SS 1LE owners only as the front wheels won't clear those ZL1,ZL1 1LE or Gen 5 Z28) brakes:

18x10.5" +12mm (because of the tighter fitment due to knuckle)
18x11" +43 or +44mm ( Already offered with FL-5, SM 10 and EC-7 models) for the rear

I was running 325s on 11" with no issue as it's within the recommended range and since 335 or 345 may be not be that necessary since we don't have the power of the ZL1 cars

I hope that helps

Great information Cem. Remember when we were asking this stuff 8 months ago? Seems like a lifetime. This nails everything down.
Old 11-15-2017, 12:38 PM   #35
ag1leSS

Drives: 17 Hyper Blue SS 1LE
For the 1le and zl1 guys

19x10.5 and 19x11.5 so we can run 305f/325r nitto nt01 or Toyo r888r.
Old 11-15-2017, 01:21 PM   #36
glamcem

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUQWIKR View Post
As discussed in other threads, I have used my OEM ZL1 1LE wheels and G3R's on my 17 SS 1LE with no spacers with no rubbing in multiple events, and this is with almost -2.8 front camber. With just some profile grinding of the struts, which all kinds of guys have done to fit certain dimension wheels in, they work just fine with Mag struts. They do poke a bit up front, but, I think it looks fine, but, the negative camber helps.

I think if APEX or someone offers the OEM ZL1 1LE fitments, there will be buyers.
Oh I agree with you, grinding will definitely make this work but people, for the most part, seemed pretty hesitant about making even a slightest modification and I get it. A group buy might a good idea maybe?

I am not sure if they would be willing to introduce a set that requires some
modification, even though you, I and a few people wouldn't mind doing that.

BTW, some tracks really hinder the rubbing issues if the layout is relatively flat with not so many elevation changes, off camber-tight corners etc

Sean (seanblur) mentioned that he had some rubbing issues at the Laguna Seca with those wheels (he only had -2.6 camber IIRC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OminouSS View Post
Great information Cem. Remember when we were asking this stuff 8 months ago? Seems like a lifetime. This nails everything down.
Glad you liked it
Old 11-15-2017, 03:39 PM   #37
RUQWIKR

Drives: 1LEs
Quote:

BTW, some tracks really hinder the rubbing issues if the layout is relatively flat with not so many elevation changes, off camber-tight corners etc

Sean (seanblur) mentioned that he had some rubbing issues at the Laguna Seca with those wheels (he only had -2.6 camber IIRC)
Sean's rubbing on the rounded portion of the fascia (inner of outer lip) was slight and under full compression coming out of the Corkscrew at Laguna Seca if my memory is correct. If not, please clarify.
Old 11-15-2017, 05:49 PM   #38
Tachitup

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE M6; previous 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ag1leSS View Post
For the 1le and zl1 guys

19x10.5 and 19x11.5 so we can run 305f/325r nitto nt01 or Toyo r888r.
If you're running 305F / 325 R why not run 19 X 11 and 19 X 12 ? The extra .5" only increases the actual tire cross section by .2". The tire will perform and wear better on the 'measured' rim width. Not to mention the fitment looks better too.

For the record, I've no problem doing some inner fender / strut massage in the name of proper fitment and performance.
Old 11-15-2017, 07:06 PM   #39
glamcem

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUQWIKR View Post
Sean's rubbing on the rounded portion of the fascia (inner of outer lip) was slight and under full compression coming out of the Corkscrew at Laguna Seca if my memory is correct. If not, please clarify.
I think you are right. I've read it again sorry for the confusion. No wonder he had some rubbing issues actually since it moves the wheels 29mm .

Still though, without some spacers and/or grinding it's hard to tell if they will clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachitup View Post
If you're running 305F / 325 R why not run 19 X 11 and 19 X 12 ? The extra .5" only increases the actual tire cross section by .2". The tire will perform and wear better on the 'measured' rim width. Not to mention the fitment looks better too.

For the record, I've no problem doing some inner fender / strut massage in the name of proper fitment and performance.
Since the benefit of running only .5" wider wheels nets .2" tire and so the benefits are negligible why risk having some fitment issues then? After all, it will reduce the clerance by .5" which means at least 6mm with same offset and that's a lot since our fitment is very tight already.

If I remember correctly, Emilio from 949 Racing also tested to see if there's any performance benefits at the track by going with a slighlty wider tires for the same size tires and couldn't find any quantifible amount. The feel might be a little different of course but I was running 305/325 -30-19 on 10.5" and 11 " tires and didn't notice anything wrong with them.
Old 11-16-2017, 01:41 AM   #40
glamcem

Quote:
FWIW this is what 18x10.5 +22 fitment looks like.

There's good caliper clearance for the 1LE 6 piston calipers.

It JUST clears the strut with a 10mm spacer. This is with no grinding and -2.6 degrees camber.

Less than 1mm clearance.

Fender clearance looks ok.

Rear pokes out just a tad, not bad and might tuck under with compression. This is at -1.6 camber.

They are good looking wheels!

Your google photos links are broken. This happened to me before also. The quick fix is to add the pictures in an album and share with any email and then it becomes public and visible for later
Old 11-16-2017, 11:30 AM   #41
Lemooreace

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS, Black/Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxiomVerge View Post
Okay I know this is about wheels, BUT...

Where do I get that hood and also the fender decals?? That camaro looks awesome.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
Hood is Anderson Composites. Fender decals and Camaro badge are GM (from the Redline Camaro option). Glad you like the car!

Thank you Apex for the customer service and the fun photo shoot!

Wheels are the ARC-8s 19x10 ET25 (square setup). Tires are 285/35/19 Michelin

Car has Eibach Springs (1"drop).
Attached Images

Last edited by Lemooreace; 11-16-2017 at 03:19 PM.
Old 11-16-2017, 01:07 PM   #42
Srt-cuatro

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexit53 View Post
I would love to see the FL5 in a 19" wheel. I feel like that's more of a muscle car style!

survey filled out! Thanks guys!

Any idea how long the survey will be open?
Same here, with SS 1LE offsets.

Closed Thread