Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-17-2018, 12:13 PM   #1
Captain J

Drives: 2017 V6 RS Covertible
Tec580 Ceramic Coating

I just had the local detail shop apply Tec580 ceramic coat to my '17 V6/RS vert. $120 for a hand wash, clay bar and the ceramic coat to the body and wheels.
The Summit White with mosaic black rally stripes looks great now that it's coated.
Captain J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 01:01 PM   #2
ninetres

Drives: Crush ZLE M6 | 2000 Corvette FRC
Never heard of the product, but if you only paid $120 it wasn’t a true coating. Likely just quick spray with a low silica percentage.
ninetres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 02:46 PM   #3
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
Well, OP doesn't mention polishing. So if the paint was perfect and didn't need polishing, $120 is a fair price for a wash, clay and coating.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 02:48 PM   #4
KirkH

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
Well, OP doesn't mention polishing. So if the paint was perfect and didn't need polishing, $120 is a fair price for a wash, clay and coating.
That's not the way I would do it, but...

In general, I do not clay without polishing unless I am removing tar or something from a daily driver.
Old 04-17-2018, 04:05 PM   #5
Captain J

Drives: 2017 V6 RS Covertible
It was my understanding prior to applying the ceramic all imperfections and wax need to be removed. Isn't that what the clay is for?
Captain J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 04:28 PM   #6
KirkH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain J View Post
It was my understanding prior to applying the ceramic all imperfections and wax need to be removed. Isn't that what the clay is for?
The clay removes bonded contaminants from the paint. The paint is porous and when a bug hits it going 70 mph, the guts are driven down in the pores. The clay removes that stuff.

Clay is an abrasive, so it does leave micromarring of the surface of the paint. It does not remove any scratches or swirls from the paint.

Best practice is to polish after claybar treatment.

However, if your paint was already perfect, I can see some detailers may skip the polishing step, thinking that the clay does not mar. Again, not the way I do it, but I know people do.

My price for a wash, clay, polish, coating job is $350-500, and that is a bargain. In the big cities, that service runs $1500+.

Last edited by KirkH; 04-17-2018 at 04:40 PM.
Old 06-14-2019, 02:40 PM   #7
SnakeEyeSS

Drives: Camaro 2SS & ZL1
Zombie thread, back from the dead.

Having used it, and curious what is in it I found the SDS.https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...i-Ga-7e4vmIyES

What IS this stuff? Solvents & petroleum distillates? I can confirm the beading they show in their video. https://youtu.be/tMezwyt63fU

I even wiped off some tar with a dry rag last week(after a wash and forced air dry) Had a stubborn spot I used some Last Touch detailer to help with, and the crossover looks much cleaner after driving on the highway in a rain storm.

Their detailing spray does show ceramic properties in it's MSDS. I'm not a chemist so I may be missing something obvious?

The OP confirmed to me that his is still going strong when I started looking into it and asked him

The detail spray sds https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...gRVlf4alzX0liD

Last edited by SnakeEyeSS; 06-14-2019 at 03:10 PM.
SnakeEyeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 03:02 PM   #8
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeEyeSS View Post
Zombie thread, back from the dead.

Having used it, and curious what is in it I found the SDS.https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...i-Ga-7e4vmIyES

What IS this stuff? Solvents & petroleum distillates? I can confirm the beading they show in their video. https://youtu.be/tMezwyt63fU

Their detailing spray does show ceramic properties in it's MSDS. I'm not a chemist so I may be missing something obvious?

The OP confirmed to me that his is still going strong when I started looking into it and asked him

The detail spray sds https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...gRVlf4alzX0liD
It certainly looks like they published an incomplete or purposefully inaccurate document. It’s all solvents and no substance...

So yes they’re hiding something, but why and from whom.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 05:16 PM   #9
SnakeEyeSS

Well, here is one month in. Beading it like new on top panel so no point in a pic. This is just after a wash with reset. Lower front doors sheet after the soap is rinsed off, but after it dries it starts beading again. Maybe it's just the curve of the panel when rinsing, or this coating.

Old 06-22-2019, 10:57 AM   #10
SnakeEyeSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
It certainly looks like they published an incomplete or purposefully inaccurate document. It’s all solvents and no substance...

So yes they’re hiding something, but why and from whom.
You think I should if I poured a few ml out onto plastic and see if it hardens into a resin chunk? Wonder how long it would take.
Old 06-24-2019, 05:51 PM   #11
SnakeEyeSS

And here it is. I poured some CQ UK 3.0 and some TEC580 in different plastic tiny suction cups, and let them dry.

It took a lot more of the TEC580 because it kept evaporating down into almost nothing. It ended up leaving a cloudy thin waxy film I had to peel/scratch off.

The UK 3.0 hardly evaporated at all, and left a lot more behind. It is much clearer. It came off pretty easy in big pieces once I bent the suction cup.

Left is UK 3.0, right is TEC580

I will say the 580 beads very well, and the Mazda it is on looks fantastic. How much is because of the matching ceramic spray, I don't know. I didn't put the coating on the roof, but have applied the spray a few times, and it beads just as well.

Since I think I'm the first to look into this I'll put some keywords for people googling it.

Technician's Choice TEC580
Technicians Choice TEC 580
XPC3 Ceramic Coating

Last edited by SnakeEyeSS; 06-24-2019 at 08:37 PM.
SnakeEyeSS is offline   Reply With Quote