Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

AWE Tuning

Old 12-09-2018, 01:55 PM   #1
camaroJD

Drives: 2019 Satin Steel 1SS 1LE w/ PDR
Wheel Spacer Question for Stock LT 18"s on 1LE?

I picked up stock LT '16 wheels and tires to put on my 1LE for the winter. I had the dealer install them but the wheel weights on the 18" tires are hitting the brake shield/cooling shield (presumably) when fully turning. The service manager said the weights were the slimmest ones and recommended I trim the plastic shield about 1/8" inch once I get it home. I won't know for sure until I get it home from the shop that's putting on Xpel.

I'm now thinking 5mm front spacers will solve this issue (and look a little better), but I'm confused as to what spacers to buy. I see generic spacers for $10 on Amazon/eBay as well as ones $50-$100. From my research it sounds like hubcentric isn't a big deal for such a small spacer, but what should I be looking for here? And can I stick with the stock studs?

Thanks
camaroJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 03:38 PM   #2
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
5mm spacers don't need to be hub centric, you'll still have some hub left for the wheel.

On threads it'll be borderline. I have 7mm spacers and installed .5" longer wheel studs, also cut off the nose so it works w/o spacers too.
DaveC113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 04:05 PM   #3
camaroJD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
5mm spacers don't need to be hub centric, you'll still have some hub left for the wheel.

On threads it'll be borderline. I have 7mm spacers and installed .5" longer wheel studs, also cut off the nose so it works w/o spacers too.
Ah, that makes sense. So no harm in using generic 5 mm 5x120 spacers?
Old 12-09-2018, 06:11 PM   #4
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroJD View Post
Ah, that makes sense. So no harm in using generic 5 mm 5x120 spacers?
I paid $50 for specific ones w/69mm bore but I'm not sure that's necessary for spacers <7mm. The wheel will still make contact w the stock bore, it's probably 15mm or so.

So I can't guarantee it having not tried it myself, but I think generic 5mm spacers would be fine.

On the wheel studs, they aren't super cheap but are easy to change out on the front hubs. I used a Lisle stud installer tool w/ a generic open-end lug nut, didn't even have to take the brake rotor off. A 4.5" angle grinder with a cutoff wheel makes short work of removing the noses. If you don't take the noses off the studs will be too long w/o spacer.

The lug nuts need 140 lbs of torque, if you don't have enough threads it could be an issue.
DaveC113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 11:29 PM   #5
camaroJD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
I paid $50 for specific ones w/69mm bore but I'm not sure that's necessary for spacers <7mm. The wheel will still make contact w the stock bore, it's probably 15mm or so.

So I can't guarantee it having not tried it myself, but I think generic 5mm spacers would be fine.

On the wheel studs, they aren't super cheap but are easy to change out on the front hubs. I used a Lisle stud installer tool w/ a generic open-end lug nut, didn't even have to take the brake rotor off. A 4.5" angle grinder with a cutoff wheel makes short work of removing the noses. If you don't take the noses off the studs will be too long w/o spacer.

The lug nuts need 140 lbs of torque, if you don't have enough threads it could be an issue.
Thanks, I'll grab one of the generic ones and see how it fits up.