Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 12-09-2019, 11:37 AM   #1
Living_Quiet

Drives: 2010
Paint flaking on bottom edge of trunk. What would you do?

Camaro is only a few months old.

There is a small spot on the panel edge of the trunk under the bowtie that has finally flaked off. I thought the paint was raised in that area from excess clear coat that had dripped, but it was apparently a bubble that has finally popped and is now flaking.

I can only see it when the trunk is open. It's 1/4" wide and came off the entire bottom edge. The flaking wraps around to the back side of the trunk though, so probably 1/4th in depth as well.

Should I take it to the dealer and have them fix it? Or should I just get some touchup paint and do it myself?

I'm capable with these sorts of projects, so I don't want to waste time at the dealer if that's all they're going to do and I feel I can do a better job at it.

Here's a picture:

Last edited by Living_Quiet; 12-09-2019 at 11:44 AM. Reason: added picture
Living_Quiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 11:41 AM   #2
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Living_Quiet View Post
I'm capable with these sorts of projects, so I don't want to waste time at the dealer if that's all they're going to do and I feel I can do a better job at it.
I believe you've answered your own question with the best solution.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 11:47 AM   #3
Zaqwert6

Drives: 2SS
If the car is that new, I would take it to the dealer to get any potential paint defect on record.
Zaqwert6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 05:01 PM   #4
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDan View Post
I believe you've answered your own question with the best solution.
Had the same issue with two of my vehicles. I cleaned up loose paint, prepped surface with alcohol , primed and touched up. Zero issues...
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 09:58 PM   #5
wwiiavfan

Drives: 2017 1SS Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaqwert6 View Post
If the car is that new, I would take it to the dealer to get any potential paint defect on record.
Yup, if you potentially have a situation where your paint starts to really come off due to a factory mistake, you’ll want to have it on record as starting while it was still warrantied.

Remember some of those factory paint jobs in the 80’s and ‘90’s? Gawd, paint coming off literally in sheets, it was redonkulous.
wwiiavfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 11:11 PM   #6
caSStro18

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
Dealer. Paper trails are important to simply CYA. Maybe it's just the way the picture was taken, but it looks like a lot of orange peel on that finish. I just looked at mine and it doesn't seem to be hat pronounced. Of course my car is white so maybe the finish just looks different. I know the underside of the trunk and hood are not as smooth as the exterior, but just makes me wonder if the paint in that area is just subpar.
caSStro18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 01:48 AM   #7
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
My paint surface sucks. There's little bubbles all over the hood and they pop and leave white spots with no paint. I took it in to the dealership and they acted like they couldn't see what I was talking about.

Also the black mosaic scratches and swirls if you breathe on it.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 05:38 AM   #8
LT4

Drives: all sold, getting another soon..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Living_Quiet View Post
Camaro is only a few months old.

There is a small spot on the panel edge of the trunk under the bowtie that has finally flaked off. ....

Paint is covered by warranty for the first 12 months on a new car.

When you hand it over, let them know you are a perfectionist, and make the point of it three times. That way the service manager will know won't they can get a way with a crappy job they would normally give to a leased Cruz, where the owner doesn't give a crap.
Old 12-10-2019, 11:51 AM   #9
Living_Quiet

Drives: 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by caSStro18 View Post
Dealer. Paper trails are important to simply CYA. Maybe it's just the way the picture was taken, but it looks like a lot of orange peel on that finish. I just looked at mine and it doesn't seem to be hat pronounced. Of course my car is white so maybe the finish just looks different. I know the underside of the trunk and hood are not as smooth as the exterior, but just makes me wonder if the paint in that area is just subpar.
Didn't think about that. The orange peel is definitely pronounced under the trunk. I didn't think much of it because some interior facing panels have wrap around base coat but aren't clear coated.

The outside panels of the car have very minimal texture, if any.
Living_Quiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 06:06 AM   #10
crosive

Drives: 18 zl1
I would take it to my dealership, but only because they own a really reputable paint/repair shop right next door.

I had them fix my 2ss when the mormons backed into it. flawless fix.
crosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 08:01 AM   #11
mikem2104

Drives: 18 2SS 1LE, 20 Canyon Denali
agreed, dealer to document. i wouldn't want them to respray the panel yet, only if it gets worse. for now, get it documented and touchup. IMO

Current Garage:
18' 2SS 1LE, Hyper Blue
23' GMC Canyon Denali
Previously:
20' GMC Canyon Denali
16' 2SS 6MT, Hyper Blue, Kalahari, 20" PVW Chrome Split wheels, NPP, MRC (Total Loss)
14' Ford Edge Sport
06' Saab 9-7x,13' Nissan 370z Sport, 12' VW Jetta GLI, 02' Olds Bravada
mikem2104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 12:56 PM   #12
1hprush
2018 ZL1 1LE

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
I would take it to the dealer, have it painted while you can still match the paint. If it’s along the edge, it needs resprayed. If you noticed it coming off, in a place where most people, wouldn’t notice or care, then you’ll notice just a touch up.
1hprush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 02:49 PM   #13
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
Needs repaint of entire lid not touch up but dealer probably wont do that. Take it to the dealer tell them you want the whole thing repainted. It will be cheaper in the long run.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote