Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 12-09-2019, 07:31 AM   #1
jcastag

Drives: 2017 Camaro FIFTY 2SS
Extended Warranty - Yes or No?

I am nearing the end of my factory warranty, as February will be 3 years since purchase. I understand that my power train warranty is good for 5 Years from purchase, so I was wondering what everybody's thought are on getting an extended warranty to cover the remainder of the vehicle.

I'm torn because it seems kind of pricey, but I'm also wondering if there's room for negotiation if I call up General Motors directly instead of just responding to the email.

Feedback is appreciated.
jcastag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 08:21 AM   #2
LT4

Drives: all sold, getting another soon..
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcastag View Post
I am nearing the end of my factory warranty, as February will be 3 years since purchase. I understand that my power train warranty is good for 5 Years from purchase, so I was wondering what everybody's thought are on getting an extended warranty to cover the remainder of the vehicle.

I'm torn because it seems kind of pricey, but I'm also wondering if there's room for negotiation if I call up General Motors directly instead of just responding to the email.

Feedback is appreciated.
If you don't modify your drive train, the GM warranty (and only GM!) is decent. $1000 to $1500 with $0 deductible for a ton of coverage is pretty damn good. Search "Fitchner GM warranty" on this site or corvetteforums.

If your warranty is about to expire, just buy it. You have like 30 days to read the fine print and decide, for a 100% refund. Even if time passes and you haven't used it, you can get a prorated refund if you sell your car. If you try to buy after your warranty expires, not only does it cost more, you can't make a claim for 30 days and 1000 miles. If you are en thinking about it, just get it, before your warranty expires.

Its an exclusionary warranty (the only kind to buy!). It is almost as good as the b2b warranty, just excludes cosmetic stuff like paint, interior surfaces, fit and finish, seat coverings. But it covers everything else, including the expensive stuff that breaks; a/c, infotainment, electrical, oil pump, A10 transmission, ELSD, etc ...all covered!

Inclusionary warranties cover a list of things that don't break so what's the point (engine block!).
Old 12-09-2019, 08:28 AM   #3
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Has your car had issues? If it’s it a good one and been reliable, I wouldn’t. Once you work the bugs out, they are reliable and can take a beating.
Old 12-09-2019, 08:33 AM   #4
crosive

Drives: 18 zl1
I've gotten them on both camaros that I've bought. on the SS, it was nice to have a kia-grade warranty (10 year 100,000 mile) with $50 deductible on everything, regardless of what breaks.

on the zl1, it only covers everything up to 75k, with $100. both are proratable if I ever decided to void it, which I do, I just don't know when.

When I traded the SS in @26k, I got a little over $1800 cash. The zl1 warranty is extensive, covering everything mechanical, bumper to bumper, and I have unlimited paintless dent repair and rock chip repair, among other things I'm forgetting, but it was a tad more money for it also.

If you have the money, I'd say go for it, you can almost always get some of it back if you decide to ditch it before it's full coverage is gone.
crosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 02:08 PM   #5
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
I always say no to these because they never cover the things that will commonly fail after normal warranty but not before.

Never any damage caused by fluid leaks, which is probably the most common expensive thing to happen on high mileage cars (gaskets fail, etc)
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 02:43 PM   #6
crosive

Drives: 18 zl1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
I always say no to these because they never cover the things that will commonly fail after normal warranty but not before.

Never any damage caused by fluid leaks, which is probably the most common expensive thing to happen on high mileage cars (gaskets fail, etc)
The only things mine wouldn't cover are common wear items. I asked about gaskets and seals and they are covered as long as the mechanic says they are leaking.
crosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 03:56 PM   #7
Grumpy1

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Hyper Blue A10
There's a guy named Dennis Fichtner on the corvetteforum that sells Gm ext warranties through his dealership that I've heard has descent pricing.
Here is his email address if your interested dfichtner@dennymenholt.com
Grumpy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 08:54 AM   #8
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdhyperblue View Post
Has your car had issues? If it’s it a good one and been reliable, I wouldn’t. Once you work the bugs out, they are reliable and can take a beating.
I find the mechanicals in modern cars to be largely reliable and amenable to self-repair. The problem is the electronics. Past reliability is no guarantee of the future. Modules just fail. And many of those require dealer software as part of the replacement process. It is annoying. Given this car has an all-glass cockpit, I went with an extended warranty.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 08:59 AM   #9
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by crosive View Post
The only things mine wouldn't cover are common wear items. I asked about gaskets and seals and they are covered as long as the mechanic says they are leaking.
yea, they're covered. But nothing the liquid that may have leaked out and damaged is. That includes transmissions and engine components when coolant gets in places it shouldn't, etc.

read the fine print. They'll replace your gasket totally covered under their warranty, and say you're screwed for all that internal engine damaged caused by the liquid seeping out of the bad gasket.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 10:31 AM   #10
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
I find the mechanicals in modern cars to be largely reliable and amenable to self-repair. The problem is the electronics. Past reliability is no guarantee of the future. Modules just fail. And many of those require dealer software as part of the replacement process. It is annoying. Given this car has an all-glass cockpit, I went with an extended warranty.
I always look to the big cousin 2014+ Silverado because theyre tons of them out there and get abused. I don’t really hear any alarms going off from their camp
Old 12-14-2019, 01:28 AM   #11
karmatourer
STD free

Drives: 2018 Bright Yellow LGX M6 RS NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4 View Post
If you don't modify your drive train, the GM warranty (and only GM!) is decent. $1000 to $1500 with $0 deductible for a ton of coverage is pretty damn good. Search "Fitchner GM warranty" on this site or corvetteforums.

If your warranty is about to expire, just buy it. You have like 30 days to read the fine print and decide, for a 100% refund. Even if time passes and you haven't used it, you can get a prorated refund if you sell your car. If you try to buy after your warranty expires, not only does it cost more, you can't make a claim for 30 days and 1000 miles. If you are en thinking about it, just get it, before your warranty expires.

Its an exclusionary warranty (the only kind to buy!). It is almost as good as the b2b warranty, just excludes cosmetic stuff like paint, interior surfaces, fit and finish, seat coverings. But it covers everything else, including the expensive stuff that breaks; a/c, infotainment, electrical, oil pump, A10 transmission, ELSD, etc ...all covered!

Inclusionary warranties cover a list of things that don't break so what's the point (engine block!).
Dennis is the best! I've had extended warranties on 2 new Chevys the past 24 months. And its bumper to bumper,just like the factory warranty from GM.And you can choose a zero or $100 deductible. I have his contact info if needed via PM.
karmatourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 08:10 AM   #12
Dark Phoenix

Drives: 2022 Camaro 1SS Redline
If it’s your daily then maybe you probably will want it. Other thing is with all the technology/electronics, they’re only covered in the bumper to bumper 3yr/36k, and fixing those could get pricey as well.
Dark Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 08:30 AM   #13
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
You are simply wagering that something big might happen.

For the most part, small items won't add up to enough to justify it. But all it take is one big one in the powertrain or chassis and you'll like "win".

From experience, powertrain is generally one of the lowest PPH issues (excluding know bad issues like A8), but it is pretty much number 1 for CPU. And that's kind of what you are betting on. It's not likely to happen, but if it does, you are covered.

So how much do you value that piece of mind?
Old 12-14-2019, 10:09 AM   #14
Chris C 1SS 1LE

Drives: 2017 1LE
I protected yself from mayhem like me. Bought the Auto Nation plan at purchase. Not GM.