Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 09-21-2019, 12:24 AM   #7463
caSStro18

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM32 View Post
How did you paint that emblem? Did you take it off the car? Dud you tape it off or were you just real careful with a pain brush? It looks real clean.
I used a paint brush and some Testors model paint, which is an enamel. The after it dried I used very fine sand paper (I think 600 grit) and wet sanded over it. The words are recessed so it’s pretty easy.
caSStro18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 11:44 AM   #7464
Zaqwert6

Drives: 2SS
Ima throw the last week or so into one post....

Sound tube delete. Machined my own plug,for no reason I chose to use clear acrylic. Punched out the firewall plate out of mild steel and painted summit white to match.

Installed catch can, machined mount with stand off and mounted in place of sound tube diaphragm. (Pic before hoses for clarity)

Installed exhaust, Borla S-Type with black ceramic tips.
Attached Images

Zaqwert6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 11:47 AM   #7465
caSStro18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaqwert6 View Post

Sound tube delete. Machined my own plug,for no reason I chose to use clear acrylic. Punched out the firewall plate out of mild steel and painted summit white to match.

Installed catch can, machined mount with stand off and mounted in place of sound tube diaphragm. (Pic before hoses for clarity)

I’m curious, what is the point of deleting the sound tube? I’ve seen others do it as well, but I am unsure as to why. Is there a performance gain?
Old 09-22-2019, 11:47 AM   #7466
Zaqwert6

Thanks, went a different route for no good reason. Lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundhogSS View Post
I got this. Someone posted it a few months ago. Works great. Both plugs. Plus, it's a pretty good price.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3d-Printed-...kAAOSw7stc5wVL
Old 09-22-2019, 11:49 AM   #7467
Zaqwert6

Quote:
Originally Posted by caSStro18 View Post
I’m curious, what is the point of deleting the sound tube? I’ve seen others do it as well, but I am unsure as to why. Is there a performance gain?

No gains. I just don't like the sound that came out of it. Now with the new exhaust, the cabin is nice a quiet with just the rumble of the exhaust behind you. I was surprised how much noise came from that sound tube.
Old 09-22-2019, 11:51 AM   #7468
caSStro18

Quote:
No gains. I just don't like the sound that came out of it. Now with the new exhaust, the cabin is nice a quiet with just the rumble of the exhaust behind you. I was surprised how much noise came from that sound tube.
So is the sound tube simply designed to bring the sound into the cabin? That’s it?
Old 09-22-2019, 11:53 AM   #7469
Zaqwert6

Quote:
Originally Posted by caSStro18 View Post
So is the sound tube simply designed to bring the sound into the cabin? That’s it?

Yes. Also to clutter up the engine compartment somewhat as well.
Old 09-22-2019, 11:58 AM   #7470
caSStro18

Quote:
Interesting. I’m learning more and more things about my car from this forum. Thank you! I will be upgrading my exhaust be fire long, deleting this might be something to consider. Does affect the factory warranty?
Old 09-22-2019, 12:06 PM   #7471
Craig

Drives: ‘23 SS1LE
Quote:

That’s a pretty productive week. What Borla charges for the black ceramic tips is kind of silly but we spend silly money on these cars anyway and I don’t understand why they’re not more popular. Single tips or double they look incredible and perfectly matched to these cars, especially 1LE’s with the satin black trim.
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 12:38 PM   #7472
Chevyfan4life
The Green Hornet

Drives: 2020 Rally Green 2SS 1LE
Yesterday i installed a some OEM GM 2nd Generation rocker panel side skirts.I bought these and my strut tower brace online from Shopchevypart.com.I saved myself over $500 off the dealers price.Over all i am very happy with the purchase and fast delivery.
Now i must say when i was originally looking at purchasing a pair of side skirts.I was going to go with the C7carbon or ACS ZL1 style skirts.Because i really love the look of the ZL1 with its factory skirts.I really wish GM made this a option when purchasing a vehicle.But they don't.
So after a long debate on which direction to go.I decided to go a different route and do something different.Now i saw these 2nd Gen side skirts while searching online and i really liked them.But i have not seen anyone with them installed on their car or really heard anyone talking about them.With that said i pulled the trigger and ordered a pair.
The install was pretty easy and straight forward.These rockers are made of ABS type of plastic and are in Satin Black.Its a two piece system with the first piece attaching to the lower rocker.This piece gets mounted to the rocker with 23 POP RIVETS! OUCH......I was NOT going to do that and i did NOT go that route.Because i could not bring myself to drill that many hole in my new car.Plus if did not like them,I could remove them without all those hole left in my rocker panel.So i used some double sided 3M molding tape to mount the first piece in place.For me the jury is still out on this tape.It sticks really well to the car's paint but not so much to the plastic of the mounting bracket.If I had to do this again.I would think about some type adhesion promotor to help the tape stick to the plastic.Even maybe scuff up the plastic with some 120 grit sandpaper.To gave the tape something to bite into.Once this piece is mounted to the car.The second piece just snaps in with clips and then gets rivets at the underside of the rocker.I did do the rivets on the bottom of the rocker.As detailed in the instructions for those will never be seen.
So over all i am very happy with the install and look of the rockers.The rockers look very much in place and complete the look of 1LE package.They match the Satin black of the front splitter and rear spoiler perfectly.Hopefully the double tape holds up to the test of time.Here are some pictures of them on my car.Enjoy

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hj7M7V]
[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hj9zkY][url=https://flic.kr/p/2hiRSJm][url=https://flic.kr/p/2hiUCH8][url=https://flic.kr/p/2hiUCQN]
[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hiUCmB]

1100-07/02/19
3100-07/04/19 | TPW 8/5
3400-7/29/19
3800-8/2/19 Built!
4300-8/5/19
4300-8/9/19 delivered to rail yard
4200-8/13/19 Shipped!
5000-8/19/19
6000-8/24/19 She's Home!
Chevyfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 12:50 PM   #7473
orange devil
Account Suspended

Drives: 2019 SS 2019 mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyfan4life View Post
Yesterday i installed a some OEM GM 2nd Generation rocker panel side skirts.I bought these and my strut tower brace online from Shopchevypart.com.I saved myself over $500 off the dealers price.Over all i am very happy with the purchase and fast delivery.
Now i must say when i was originally looking at purchasing a pair of side skirts.I was going to go with the C7carbon or ACS ZL1 style skirts.Because i really love the look of the ZL1 with its factory skirts.I really wish GM made this a option when purchasing a vehicle.But they don't.
So after a long debate on which direction to go.I decided to go a different route and do something different.Now i saw these 2nd Gen side skirts while searching online and i really liked them.But i have not seen anyone with them installed on their car or really heard anyone talking about them.With that said i pulled the trigger and ordered a pair.
The install was pretty easy and straight forward.These rockers are made of ABS type of plastic and are in Satin Black.Its a two piece system with the first piece attaching to the lower rocker.This piece gets mounted to the rocker with 23 POP RIVETS! OUCH......I was NOT going to do that and i did NOT go that route.Because i could not bring myself to drill that many hole in my new car.Plus if did not like them,I could remove them without all those hole left in my rocker panel.So i used some double sided 3M molding tape to mount the first piece in place.For me the jury is still out on this tape.It sticks really well to the car's paint but not so much to the plastic of the mounting bracket.If I had to do this again.I would think about some type adhesion promotor to help the tape stick to the plastic.Even maybe scuff up the plastic with some 120 grit sandpaper.To gave the tape something to bite into.Once this piece is mounted to the car.The second piece just snaps in with clips and then gets rivets at the underside of the rocker.I did do the rivets on the bottom of the rocker.As detailed in the instructions for those will never be seen.
So over all i am very happy with the install and look of the rockers.The rockers look very much in place and complete the look of 1LE package.They match the Satin black of the front splitter and rear spoiler perfectly.Hopefully the double tape holds up to the test of time.Here are some pictures of them on my car.Enjoy

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hj7M7V]
[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hj9zkY][url=https://flic.kr/p/2hiRSJm][url=https://flic.kr/p/2hiUCH8][url=https://flic.kr/p/2hiUCQN]
[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hiUCmB]
They look amazing on the car ! Most definitely whenever you use any type of 3m tape ..get some 3m adhesive promoter... beautiful Camaro!!
orange devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 12:51 PM   #7474
Zaqwert6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
That’s a pretty productive week. What Borla charges for the black ceramic tips is kind of silly but we spend silly money on these cars anyway and I don’t understand why they’re not more popular. Single tips or double they look incredible and perfectly matched to these cars, especially 1LE’s with the satin black trim.

Fairly productive. Much of each thing lead into the other.

And yes, had to be blacked out. Everything on the car is blacked out, no chrome/silver/polish. I can't stand the stock silver trumpets back there. Lol.
Old 09-22-2019, 01:04 PM   #7475
Brudda*Termite

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
Quote:

Agreed on the clutter. I ditched that thing as soon as I found a solution on the Ebay...
Old 09-22-2019, 01:05 PM   #7476
Chevyfan4life
The Green Hornet

Drives: 2020 Rally Green 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange devil View Post
They look amazing on the car ! Most definitely whenever you use any type of 3m tape ..get some 3m adhesive promoter... beautiful Camaro!!

To be honest with you.I did not even think about until after i was done.I just looked on Ebay and 3M does make a promoter for their tape.To help the tape stick to plastics.You live and learn.I should have done some better research.If it fails i will just do it again and use the promoter this time.
But they do look really nice on the car...

1100-07/02/19
3100-07/04/19 | TPW 8/5
3400-7/29/19
3800-8/2/19 Built!
4300-8/5/19
4300-8/9/19 delivered to rail yard
4200-8/13/19 Shipped!
5000-8/19/19
6000-8/24/19 She's Home!
Chevyfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote