Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Regional Sections > USA - Southeast

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-08-2016, 10:15 PM   #1
Egon

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
Car Photography spots around Charlotte and Lake Norman

So I am relatively new to Charlotte and have no idea where any of the good car photography spots are. Anything with an interesting background like the downtown skyline, landscapes, industrial areas, grafitti walls or really anything at all that would be a good background, but not someplace where I might get shanked. I live in the Denver area so if you know of any good places in or around the lake that would be cool too. (I may go scouting some of the boating areas but they are super crowded during the weekends) I am thinking about doing some detailing and photography stuff for some friends I autocross with and see where it goes from there. Even if you just have some cool example photos to share I may be able to determine the general location where it was taken and then check out the area in person. Thanks in advance!
Old 09-14-2016, 11:42 AM   #2
hms2488485

Drives: '17 Camaro SS 1LE
I just moved to Charlotte too. There's a couple cool places. There's a park on the southern end of the lake in Huntersville. Davidson is a nice area. Out west near Kings Mountain would be cool too. Mooresville I would imagine has some nice areas too. If you want to cross the boarder, Lake Wylie would be nice as well
hms2488485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 12:50 PM   #3
Egon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hms2488485 View Post
I just moved to Charlotte too. There's a couple cool places. There's a park on the southern end of the lake in Huntersville. Davidson is a nice area. Out west near Kings Mountain would be cool too. Mooresville I would imagine has some nice areas too. If you want to cross the boarder, Lake Wylie would be nice as well
I think the park you are referring to is Jetton Park, I was there last fall and took some great fall colors pictures but just from its layout it might not be the best for car pictures, but I am going to try none the less. There is another smaller park just to the south of it with a boat launch and that could be a good spot at sunset during the week.

Lake Wylie looks pretty awesome from the pictures I just glanced at on the google, it may be something I will have to check out later. I have not been through Davidson before as it is the long way around the lake for me to get to Mooresville. Do you know of any specific locations in the Kings Mountain area?

I really appreciate your reply, if you find any others please let me know.
Old 09-14-2016, 04:40 PM   #4
hms2488485

Drives: '17 Camaro SS 1LE
I haven't been to Kings Mountain at all. Lake Wylie is less populated than Norman is so you'd probably get some good pictures there. Love your 1LE by the way.
hms2488485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 01:04 PM   #5
Egon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hms2488485 View Post
I haven't been to Kings Mountain at all. Lake Wylie is less populated than Norman is so you'd probably get some good pictures there. Love your 1LE by the way.
I have been recently scouring Google Earth to get some good spots to go scout in person so I am not just wandering around Charlotte aimlessly. I found a few that are promising if uninspired like the top of parking decks with the city skyline and train tracks etc, so I really appreciate anything out of the ordinary and I will definitely be looking into those other locations you mentioned. Some of the spots I have on my list in Charlotte are a little on the sketchy side though, especially for night shoots.

And thanks about my car, just be warned that when you get your 2017 1LE I am going to bug you until you come to autocross it at zMax with us.
Old 09-15-2016, 01:29 PM   #6
FNxR3DNECK

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egon View Post
I have been recently scouring Google Earth to get some good spots to go scout in person so I am not just wandering around Charlotte aimlessly. I found a few that are promising if uninspired like the top of parking decks with the city skyline and train tracks etc, so I really appreciate anything out of the ordinary and I will definitely be looking into those other locations you mentioned. Some of the spots I have on my list in Charlotte are a little on the sketchy side though, especially for night shoots.

And thanks about my car, just be warned that when you get your 2017 1LE I am going to bug you until you come to autocross it at zMax with us.
Lake James up near Mooresville is awesome, especially in the fall but I know that's a bit far from Charlotte. I'm from Cherryville which is right down the road from Kings Mountain so I will have to check out that spot you were talking about.

As for Z Max, how often do they do Auto Cross events there?!? I am also waiting to order a 1LE so I will be very interested in this!
FNxR3DNECK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 02:22 PM   #7
Egon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNxR3DNECK View Post
Lake James up near Mooresville is awesome, especially in the fall but I know that's a bit far from Charlotte. I'm from Cherryville which is right down the road from Kings Mountain so I will have to check out that spot you were talking about.

As for Z Max, how often do they do Auto Cross events there?!? I am also waiting to order a 1LE so I will be very interested in this!
I haven't been to Kings Mountain it was just recommended to me by hms2488485 but I have it on my list now. Mooresville is just east of Lake Norman, but Lake James is out west out past Hickory if that was what you meant? It looks like I am going to be busy this fall with all of the places to see with the fall colors.

I hope to get to do more car photography now that I am getting information on some good shot locations so once you guys get your 1LE's hit me up and we can maybe work something out. I am also doing detailing out of my garage in the Denver area, but I think that might be a bit far for you guys to drive but keep me in mind just incase.

As far as Autocross is concerned we have an event coming up next week on the 24th at zMax, I posted the event information here in this subforum http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=465872 We would love to have you sign up and come drive or even just come by to watch. We have them a little more than once a month from late February to early November. We have 3 remaining for the season, the one this weekend, October 15th and November 5th.
Old 09-15-2016, 02:52 PM   #8
FNxR3DNECK

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
I haven't been to Kings Mountain it was just recommended to me by hms2488485 but I have it on my list now. Mooresville is just east of Lake Norman, but Lake James is out west out past Hickory if that was what you meant? It looks like I am going to be busy this fall with all of the places to see with the fall colors.

I hope to get to do more car photography now that I am getting information on some good shot locations so once you guys get your 1LE's hit me up and we can maybe work something out. I am also doing detailing out of my garage in the Denver area, but I think that might be a bit far for you guys to drive but keep me in mind just incase.

As far as Autocross is concerned we have an event coming up next week on the 24th at zMax, I posted the event information here in this subforum http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=465872 We would love to have you sign up and come drive or even just come by to watch. We have them a little more than once a month from late February to early November. We have 3 remaining for the season, the one this weekend, October 15th and November 5th.
I was thinking of Morganton, thats where Lake James is. And I have a buddy back home that does a lot of car photography with his RX-7 crew, he may know of some other good spots.

For the Autocross I won't be able to make those last few events this year since I'm out west for training right now and won't be back until late October/early November, and theres no telling how long we will have to wait to get our new cars :( But next spring if I can get some time to take a few leave days for an autoX weekend that will definitely be happening!
FNxR3DNECK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 03:33 PM   #9
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Over here in downtown Mooresville has some cool old buildings with old school painted backdrops, like an old Coke mural and some old Cadillac signs and such that were being used for filming of Banshee some time back.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 09:18 AM   #10
Egon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNxR3DNECK View Post
I was thinking of Morganton, thats where Lake James is. And I have a buddy back home that does a lot of car photography with his RX-7 crew, he may know of some other good spots.

For the Autocross I won't be able to make those last few events this year since I'm out west for training right now and won't be back until late October/early November, and theres no telling how long we will have to wait to get our new cars :( But next spring if I can get some time to take a few leave days for an autoX weekend that will definitely be happening!
Well that sucks that you can't make it but please do come out when you can. Its a lot of fun, the people are great to hang out with and you will learn a lot about your car from some very knowledgeable drivers. We had 5 National Champions this year and a whole bunch of people that trophied at Nats, so it's a really fast bunch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSport16 View Post
Over here in downtown Mooresville has some cool old buildings with old school painted backdrops, like an old Coke mural and some old Cadillac signs and such that were being used for filming of Banshee some time back.
Wow its funny that you say that since I just remembered that earlier yesterday from when I went there to pick up my tags last year. That whole strip there is full of older red brick buildings and the side streets have those painted murals. There is even the train tracks going through the middle. I think it would be a great place to do a shoot, but those side streets where they murals are are very narrow and I wouldn't want to block traffic. Maybe some ninja photoshoot in the middle of the night or something would work without pissing anyone off.
Old 09-16-2016, 09:40 AM   #11
SSport16

Quote:
Well that sucks that you can't make it but please do come out when you can. Its a lot of fun, the people are great to hang out with and you will learn a lot about your car from some very knowledgeable drivers. We had 5 National Champions this year and a whole bunch of people that trophied at Nats, so it's a really fast bunch.

Wow its funny that you say that since I just remembered that earlier yesterday from when I went there to pick up my tags last year. That whole strip there is full of older red brick buildings and the side streets have those painted murals. There is even the train tracks going through the middle. I think it would be a great place to do a shoot, but those side streets where they murals are are very narrow and I wouldn't want to block traffic. Maybe some ninja photoshoot in the middle of the night or something would work without pissing anyone off.
Later on towards evening during the week, there typically isn't usually a lot of traffic downtown. The old Cadillac dealership with the sign is in a parking lot and I believe the Coke mural that they just repainted has a parking lot in front of it. The old train depot would be a cool shot as well.

Old 09-16-2016, 10:54 PM   #12
Egon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSport16 View Post
Later on towards evening during the week, there typically isn't usually a lot of traffic downtown. The old Cadillac dealership with the sign is in a parking lot and I believe the Coke mural that they just repainted has a parking lot in front of it. The old train depot would be a cool shot as well.
I think I found the mural you are talking about. It's next to the Miles Diner building? The other side of the building has a train themed mural? I am going off of google street view so the pictures from that could be months old and things could have changed, hell it looks like in the street view they are in the process of restoring some of the murals.

There are some very cool spots in that area. One is a crazy awesome rusty metal barn further down the road next to a church which will make a great backdrop! I will go drive by them in the daytime next week probably Wednesday just to see how they look now as opposed to google street view but this looks really promising!

Here is an example of the type of picture I would like to take. It is only my second attempt at light painting and the setting, my garage, is pretty uninspired but I think it turned out pretty sweet.
Attached Images

Old 09-17-2016, 09:05 AM   #13
SSport16

Yeah some of those murals they recently just redid after they were done filming down there.

Cool picture!