Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-16-2017, 11:51 AM   #1
Battlezone580

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE, 1969 Nova SS 396
ZL1 1LE - driving school

My ZL1 1LE is going to be arriving at my local dealer in 2-3 weeks! I really can't wait, I'm counting down every day now. I've always wanted a car I can take to the track, which brings me to my question about a driving school.

I've driven my 5th Gen ZL1 at a few tracks, but I'm no where near as good as I would like to be. Its hard being new to the track, you don't want to push your car to hard, so you end up not realizing the full potential of the car. And lets be honest my 5th Gen ZL1 is no lacking in a few areas.

I really would like to get set up with a driving school, where they can teach me the ins and outs of track driving/racing. A few of my friends who have Vettes have been up to Spring Mountain in Neveda, a school designed for corvette owners. Does anything like this exists for a camaro?

18 ZL1 1LE|M6|Nav|PDR|CF Hood|CF WING|CF Dash|Tow Hook|
Battlezone580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 12:39 PM   #2
Inspector 17
I love crepes

Drives: 2017 ZL1 NGM A10
There are a lot of options. To start with, many tracks offer programs where you can have an instructor in the car with you. I've found that very helpful as you're actually driving your car and getting tips from people who race their cars on the same track.

You have lots of race school programs like Skip Barber, the Corvette program, etc (see the link below for a nice article about 5 good ones). The Corvette one has Camaros, but I think think the focus is on the students driving the Vettes (although I think you might get some Camaro seat time too).

I am not aware of a specific Camaro focused program. I would start with the track instructor to at least get a feel for your car. Then I would look at one of these training programs to help you hone the skills. Then get back in your car and get more seat time. To me, that's a real key. I have 4 track days and I've learned something each time and I'm driving my car better and better each session.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...better-driver/
Inspector 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 05:45 PM   #3
spotswood

Drives: Lexus, ZL1 1LE, Ducati, Suzuki,
Check out China track days.
I recently signed up with them and will be taking my ZL1 1LE to my first track day at Sebring.
They have 15 track weekends in Florida at Sebring so I am 2 hours away so its works out well for me. They also have track weekends across the country at most tracks.
They charge 70 dollars per year to be a member and then you pay for each track event you go to and you drive with an instructor until he signs you off for solo.
You can combine a racing school at Bondurant or Barber school for added instruction that will not hurt. All track time helps as well as instruction.
spotswood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 03:38 AM   #4
PinHead
Banned

Drives: Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battlezone580 View Post
I really would like to get set up with a driving school, where they can teach me the ins and outs of track driving/racing.
These guys can provide what you're looking for with your Car or theirs. Give them a call.

https://bondurant.com/high-performance-driving/
PinHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 08:53 AM   #5
67Builder
White knuckled & smiling

Drives: '17 ZL1 AKA Perfection!
+1 for Bondurant driving school. I did the 3 day grand prix school, and it was great. In retrospect I should have done the 4 day course and come out with an SCCA license.
6000 - 04/05/2017 - Delivered!
67Builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 10:50 AM   #6
Supercup
Life Is Short Enjoy It!

Drives: Original Owner 15 Z/28 #934
Dedicated driving schools are great and since you are in LA and are looking for good instruction I would consider the new Porsche Experience center program as it is so close to you.

Link: https://www.porschedriving.com/porsc...er-los-angeles

They have excellent instructors and you can move up level to level. Then there are a lot of groups running track days where you can go and they offer instructors in tracks close to you in LA (Willow, Buttonwillow and Cal Speed).

Then there are programs at Miller (Ford GT350's), Spring Mountain (Corvettes), Laguna Seca (Formula Fords), Infineon etc. that can offer you a few days of professional instruction.

Track time with a good instructor in the seat next to you is the way to go, regardless of the format. You are on the right track to getting faster!
Supercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 02:07 PM   #7
7LitreC5

Drives: 18 Tahoe RST, 19 Z06
Another idea is the Corvette 3 day school at Spring Mountain in Pahrump NV. I've been to the school multiple and it is a fantastic learning experience.
7LitreC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 05:43 PM   #8
Infern0
Bring It

Drives: In Between
Subscribed.

2017 Camaro ZL1 M6 - Everything but the sunroof - Sold

2010 Camaro SS - 650RWHP Daily Driver - Traded
Infern0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 05:57 PM   #9
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
If you have not done a driving school here is what i think is a good way to get some time with a good instructor and it want set you back 4K, Sign up for the 2 days on the track with the Vegas Region, Porsche Club of America, they hold 4 events a year at Spring Mountain in Pahrump NV, grate track and if you have not been to a school they have you take a one day course and the 2 day you get to drive on the track with an instructor till they fell your good to go on your own.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 11:15 AM   #10
Macaro

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE
There are many many great options. I was however slightly disappointed that the ZL1 1LE doesn't come with a track experience of some kind. My SRT Challenger did and it's what started my track addiction.
Macaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 12:19 PM   #11
Grahamexl

Drives: Camaro z28, Lexus SC 400
Hi,

I had driving lessons in the UK back in 2005 (the cars were old and smelled really bad, I found a couple of local driving schools, but they didn't allow to take my own car for practice). It was my first car, Saab 900 SE 1996, then.

But when I moved to the UK (because I married a beautiful woman from Houston), I had to get a new driver's license, of course. Then I had my second car, 1998 camaro z28 (my wife's car, actually). And finally I headed to Ron Fellows High Performance Driving School - https://www.springmountainmotorsport...driving-school found it listed on https://drivingschoolnear.me choosing from categorized by location driving schools. I guess it has the highest rating so far.

John
Grahamexl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 12:30 PM   #12
Checkmate1

Drives: Garnet Red / ZL1 1LE
Funny you asked. Check this out -

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...a-27-racetrack

Thank me later
Old 09-16-2019, 12:33 PM   #13
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
your in socal check out puretrack.com or speedventures.com they both have local track days/auto x in socal and both have instructors if needed

i will be at the next puretrack event october 5th at anaheim stadium its fun and good for beginners and a few other local camaro guys usually come out
Old 09-16-2019, 12:59 PM   #14
Lafourche1

Drives: 2019 CLA 450 Mercedes
Al O recommends Area 27. They have a 2 1/2 day Camaro event. Classroom theory and technique.
Lafourche1 is offline   Reply With Quote