Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 08-14-2021, 08:34 AM   #1
Brianw36
SNSTRSS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS A8
Modifying Valve cover

I currently have a catch can that attaches to the oil fill opening. I would like to relocate it to a dedicated 10-an fitting on the driver's side valve cover. I see on the cover there is a high section that I would like to use. My question is, do I have to mess around with the internal baffle? Should I drill from the top of the valve cover through the existing baffle, and then is there enough clearance to rivet in a custom baffle over the new hole? If anyone has done this I would greatly appreciate your input. If you have any pictures you would like to share, that would be great. TIA
Old 08-14-2021, 11:00 PM   #2
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianw36 View Post
I currently have a catch can that attaches to the oil fill opening. I would like to relocate it to a dedicated 10-an fitting on the driver's side valve cover. I see on the cover there is a high section that I would like to use. My question is, do I have to mess around with the internal baffle? Should I drill from the top of the valve cover through the existing baffle, and then is there enough clearance to rivet in a custom baffle over the new hole? If anyone has done this I would greatly appreciate your input. If you have any pictures you would like to share, that would be great. TIA
I wouldn’t mess with the stock baffles at all, they work great as is IMO.
Old 08-15-2021, 09:42 AM   #3
Brianw36
SNSTRSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshinator99 View Post
I wouldn’t mess with the stock baffles at all, they work great as is IMO.
I understand that, but I would like to add a 10an fitting to the valve cover for my catch can set up. Not sure how to do It with the current baffle in place.
Old 08-15-2021, 11:16 AM   #4
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
I understand that, but I would like to add a 10an fitting to the valve cover for my catch can set up. Not sure how to do It with the current baffle in place.
If you're running the MM Wild, it just goes right into the existing oil fill spot with their adapter. No need to hack anything up. Easy peasy.
Old 08-15-2021, 04:03 PM   #5
parbreak

Drives: 2017 50th Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshinator99 View Post
If you're running the MM Wild, it just goes right into the existing oil fill spot with their adapter. No need to hack anything up. Easy peasy.

This. MM did all the work for you.
50th Anniversary Edition |Borla Atak and 60606 mid pipes| Kooks 1 7/8" | ProCharger Stage II |305/45/17 DRs | Circle D 3500 stall | LT4 fueling | Custom made Lowside Aux Pump | Alky Control Meth | DSX E85
parbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 05:23 PM   #6
Brianw36
SNSTRSS

I don't want to use the MM oil fill cap location. It is a hassle to remove to add oil when you have a procharger on the car. The filter location is right up against it.
Old 08-16-2021, 06:22 AM   #7
aronSlusa

Drives: '16 2SS
Quote:
I don't want to use the MM oil fill cap location. It is a hassle to remove to add oil when you have a procharger on the car. The filter location is right up against it.
That was my biggest gripe at first, even more of a pita when it comes to the strut tower brace… but the last couple times all I’ve done is undo the fitting on the oil fill adapter, this allows me to take the oil fill adapter out, use a funnel to drop oil in then put it back together.
Before I would take off the strut tower brace and procharger air filter and blah blah blah… now it’s just maybe a minute more of work to undo the one fitting and done.
aronSlusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 07:52 AM   #8
danhr
BAMF SS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS A8
Send a message via AIM to danhr
Seeing how you have a procharger, and probably have that vacuum line running from your factory catch can all the way to the filter on your procharger, I'd suggest the following.

Sell the MM Wild Catch can (the cost of redesigning it outweighs the cost of a new one)

Buy a quality catch can by itself.... Motion Raceworks makes a solid one

Remove/plug factory catch can

Instead of the new catch can routing to your oil cap, have it route to the two fitting on the valve covers that were intended for the factory catch can.

Stock Longblock

800 SAE rwhp. 9.4 @ 145 mph.
danhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 07:08 PM   #9
aronSlusa

Drives: '16 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by danhr View Post
Seeing how you have a procharger, and probably have that vacuum line running from your factory catch can all the way to the filter on your procharger, I'd suggest the following.

Sell the MM Wild Catch can (the cost of redesigning it outweighs the cost of a new one)

Buy a quality catch can by itself.... Motion Raceworks makes a solid one

Remove/plug factory catch can

Instead of the new catch can routing to your oil cap, have it route to the two fitting on the valve covers that were intended for the factory catch can.
Do share more info on this, I’m interested.
Does the motion raceworks vent crankcase pressure somewhere other than in the engine bay, along with all the oil the CC caught?
aronSlusa is offline   Reply With Quote