Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-12-2022, 07:59 AM   #29
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderbuddy View Post
First of all, y'all are talking about 2 Different Cars.
Or to say the Least 2 Totally Different Brake Systems
The 1LS, 1LT, 2LT, use standard Brakes (Sliding Calipers) with a Caliper bracket Attached to the spindle

The 1SS, 2SS uses the Brembo Brakes (Fixed Calipers) the calipers are Fixed to the spindle and the bolts are torqued to yield

The V6 Model uses Guide Pins/Bolt to Hold the Caliper to the Caliper Bracket they are torque to 20ft-lbs , they are not Torque to yield Bolts.

The V8 However uses Brembo Brakes which the spindle is torque to yield bolt
In fact I checked in the shop manual for the V6 sliding caliper and it says to NOT re-use the bolts.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 11:26 AM   #30
spyderbuddy

Drives: 2010 RS Inferno Orange Metallic
Again You are talking 2 Different Different Brakes

The Sliding Calipers do not require to replace the Sliding Pins

If for some unknown you remove the Bracket that the SLIDING CALIPERS Bolt to then Yes you would replace the Bolts
The only reason to remove the Caliper Brackets would be to turn the Rotors.
Most V6 owners are going to just replace just the brakes
PCP Hideaway Headlight Covers, BBK Headers & High Flow Cats, ZL1 Add-ons Wicker Bill, TL1/ZL1 Hood Insert, Gen5 DIY Frameless Mirror, ABL Dash Lighting an My link Navigation, Blacked out Rear Bowtie, all Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust tips, GEN5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, CNC Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, RX Catch Can & Breather, Trunk Black out and Side Grills, Chevorlet door Sills.
spyderbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 11:28 AM   #31
spyderbuddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
In fact I checked in the shop manual for the V6 sliding caliper and it says to NOT re-use the bolts.

Again a V8 guy trying to tell someone who owns a V6 what to do
PCP Hideaway Headlight Covers, BBK Headers & High Flow Cats, ZL1 Add-ons Wicker Bill, TL1/ZL1 Hood Insert, Gen5 DIY Frameless Mirror, ABL Dash Lighting an My link Navigation, Blacked out Rear Bowtie, all Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust tips, GEN5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, CNC Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, RX Catch Can & Breather, Trunk Black out and Side Grills, Chevorlet door Sills.
Old 12-12-2022, 01:16 PM   #32
NOT A 45

Drives: 13 CAMARO 2SS LS3-04 SILVERADO LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderbuddy View Post
Again a V8 guy trying to tell someone who owns a V6 what to do
Not that I do this, but the V8 guy is partially right and you are partially wrong! The slide pins do not need replacement, but the bolts holding the caliper to the slide pin do.

Front Brake Caliper Hardware Replacement (LLT)
Removal Procedure
Warning: Refer to Brake Dust Warning.

Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle.
Remove the tire and wheel assembly. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation.

Object ID: 2201918Click here for detailed picture of the image.
Note: The brake caliper guide pin bolts must be replaced any time they are removed. Do not reuse the brake caliper guide pin bolts.
NOT A 45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 01:44 PM   #33
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
clicky no workee.so this means the bolts that hold the caliper bracket to the car should be replaced and the bolts that hold the caliper to the bracket are ok to reuse? not trying to give you a hard time,i just want my brakes to be safe.or should all these bolts be replaced...who had the bright idea of torque to yeild bolts in something that will be removed and replaced several times during ownership anyway?
redcoats1976 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 02:24 PM   #34
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoats1976 View Post
clicky no workee.so this means the bolts that hold the caliper bracket to the car should be replaced and the bolts that hold the caliper to the bracket are ok to reuse? not trying to give you a hard time,i just want my brakes to be safe.or should all these bolts be replaced...who had the bright idea of torque to yeild bolts in something that will be removed and replaced several times during ownership anyway?
And why do you keep saying torque to yield? There really isn't anything to indicate TTY other than the direction to replace them. This may be as simple as the factory applied locking compound. Torque to Angle is more likely than TTY for the loading and bolt design.
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 02:49 PM   #35
NOT A 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstorey View Post
And why do you keep saying torque to yield? There really isn't anything to indicate TTY other than the direction to replace them. This may be as simple as the factory applied locking compound. Torque to Angle is more likely than TTY for the loading and bolt design.
Correct.....the caliper pin bolts have loc tight on them and should be torqued to 20 lbs/ft And the caliper bracket bolts also have loc tight and should be torqued to 30 lbs/ft + 90 degrees
Old 12-12-2022, 02:57 PM   #36
0stones0
It don’t come easy.

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Ordered my replacement bolts today from the dealer. About $6 a pop. No biggie. After reusing mine and doing the TTY / TTA as Not A 45 stated above, I feel they’re probably now overstretched, as it were.
Old 12-12-2022, 04:04 PM   #37
CamaroCracka

Drives: 2010 Turbo LS3
Quote:
who had the bright idea of torque to yeild bolts in something that will be removed and replaced several times during ownership anyway?
I think one of the engineers had stock in ARP.

Which begs the question, if TTY is such a great idea, why do all the racers use ARP? They beat on their stuff more than anyone.

2011 Vert - 416/w 230/236 .612/.602 115lsa, 1LE suspension w/32mm rear bar. Z28 diff. ZL1 brakes.
CamaroCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 04:27 PM   #38
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstorey View Post
ok...torque to angle.if i could buy a good fastener that could be reused with loctite i would be happy to do that. not an engineer as so many are on the forum,i just want to cut through the B.S. surrounding a simple brake swap and do the job safely.should i be afraid to ask how many other bolts on a camaro are throw away after one use?firestone quoted me $550 to do rotors and pads,but i can bet they will reuse the old bolts.is what you are getting at to reuse the old bolts,torque correctly,and then go another 90 degrees on the caliper bracket bolts but not the caliper bolts themselves?
redcoats1976 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 09:21 PM   #39
spyderbuddy

https://www.google.com/search?q=v6+c...id:GlDiHibH1-Y

He says New Bolts
I was Wrong
Old 12-12-2022, 09:36 PM   #40
spyderbuddy

but at the same time where i got my info From

This was From a Chiltons 2010 -2015 Repair Manual
Attached Images

Old 12-13-2022, 09:51 AM   #41
NOT A 45

Quote:
ok...torque to angle.if i could buy a good fastener that could be reused with loctite i would be happy to do that. not an engineer as so many are on the forum,i just want to cut through the B.S. surrounding a simple brake swap and do the job safely.should i be afraid to ask how many other bolts on a camaro are throw away after one use?firestone quoted me $550 to do rotors and pads,but i can bet they will reuse the old bolts.is what you are getting at to reuse the old bolts,torque correctly,and then go another 90 degrees on the caliper bracket bolts but not the caliper bolts themselves?
If you reuse the caliper bracket bolts do not go 90 degrees. The bolts have already been stretched and you may potentially break them by rotating the additional 90 degrees. For reuse I would use red loc tight and torque them to 60-70 lbs/ft which is approximately what 40lbs plus 90 degrees yields.
Old 12-13-2022, 10:12 AM   #42
0stones0
It don’t come easy.

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Picked up the bolts today and confirmed through two gm mechanics that there are, in fact, TTY bolts. Asked if they ever reuse them… got the side glance look and a smile.
Btw, no Loctite on the threads.
My thinking is the same as Not A 45, once stretched, don’t do the to 90 degrees thing.
For what’s it’s worth, I’m replacing mine because, as I stated above, I went to 90 on them and I feel that’s too much stretch, for used bolts.

Hope this info didn’t go to far off from your topic, redcoats1976.