Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-17-2022, 08:06 PM   #15
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Imagine something like .010-.040 runout here by the time it gets to the greater diameter of the tire. (this is NOT a Camaro)

Name:  F7F99359-8A55-4993-9C8B-9B0DFD139BA7.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  91.1 KB
Old 08-17-2022, 08:07 PM   #16
PaulsSS

Drives: 15SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoats1976 View Post
the car is my 2015 RS,just back from the body shop last week.it rides good at speeds under 65 but when you take it to 70 or beyond it get a shake in the steering wheel and the passenger side seat vibrates.it has 4 new tires on stock wheels.not a huge lets depart the road and crash kind of shake but it wasnt there before.suggestions on my next step? i have already emailed my insurance adjuster.
Do you have some one that could follow you out on the road. Maybe they could spot something.
PaulsSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 08:39 PM   #17
fz4k98

Drives: 2013 1ss
The tire had excessive runout or out of round. I had other issues too but this was an easy check at a shop.
fz4k98 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 08:44 PM   #18
fz4k98

Drives: 2013 1ss
You should try different conditions which may help narrow it down. Does vibration change if you hold speed while stepping on brakes. Does it change if going around a curve. Does it change if applying emergency brake while holding speed? Does intensity increase with speed?
fz4k98 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 09:39 PM   #19
Moto-Mojo

I don't want to insult anyone's intelligence but this is what I mean if the hub is bent. It was hit by a semi after all.The farther from the bend the greater the distance from the vertical axis.

Name:  Untitled.png
Views: 217
Size:  24.8 KB
Old 08-18-2022, 02:27 AM   #20
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
im thinking your theory is good.have an appointment at firestone tomorrow to have the 3 tires i bought checked for balance at the body shops request,at which time im going to ask if they can run it up to 75 mph on the rack.if its the drivers rear tire/wheel/hub as i suspect that should show up then.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 06:35 AM   #21
oldman14ss

Drives: 2014 1ss camaro
tire guy told once that a half ounce of weight could cause vibration. if your vibration is confined to one wheel swap it with another on your car and see if the vibration changes location. that is if you have a square set up.
oldman14ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 07:15 AM   #22
NOT A 45

Drives: 13 CAMARO 2SS LS3-04 SILVERADO LS3
Quote:
im thinking your theory is good.have an appointment at firestone tomorrow to have the 3 tires i bought checked for balance at the body shops request,at which time im going to ask if they can run it up to 75 mph on the rack.if its the drivers rear tire/wheel/hub as i suspect that should show up then.
First off, it's not safe to free spin a tire at that speed. Secondly, any run out you could see with the naked eye would be felt driving through the parking lot. I agree with you that the problem is in the left rear. I like Fasnuff's suggestion if you can find a known good car, swap the rear tires and see if it goes away. I've done this before, but then again I have 100 cars on the lot to pick from. If it were me, I'd drop it off at the body shop and say fix it. They did not deliver you a completely repaired vehicle.

Also I want to caution you that if it was hit hard enough to damage the wheel you can bet your ass in about 6 months or so that left rear hub bearing is going to be making noise. I would insist with the insurance adjuster that that hub be replaced.
NOT A 45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 07:32 AM   #23
Moto-Mojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman14ss View Post
tire guy told once that a half ounce of weight could cause vibration. if your vibration is confined to one wheel swap it with another on your car and see if the vibration changes location. that is if you have a square set up.
A wise man, that tire guy. ONE OUNCE of weight located 7.5" (radius) from centerline (15" diameter wheel) produces 100LBS of force at 1000RPM. More on a 20" wheel. (I wrote a driveshaft balance program years ago and it only goes to 15" dia)

Last edited by Moto-Mojo; 08-18-2022 at 10:02 AM.
Moto-Mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 03:52 PM   #24
0stones0
It don’t come easy.

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOT A 45 View Post
First off, it's not safe to free spin a tire at that speed. Secondly, any run out you could see with the naked eye would be felt driving through the parking lot. I agree with you that the problem is in the left rear. I like Fasnuff's suggestion if you can find a known good car, swap the rear tires and see if it goes away. I've done this before, but then again I have 100 cars on the lot to pick from. If it were me, I'd drop it off at the body shop and say fix it. They did not deliver you a completely repaired vehicle.

Also I want to caution you that if it was hit hard enough to damage the wheel you can bet your ass in about 6 months or so that left rear hub bearing is going to be making noise. I would insist with the insurance adjuster that that hub be replaced.
+1
Old 08-19-2022, 10:48 AM   #25
redcoats1976

took it to firestone,who checked all wheels for runout,suspension and hubs for the princely sum of 10 bucks,as well as rebalancing all wheels,i bet you cant guess which wheel and tire were not balanced correctly.had it up to 90,,,smooth as silk.
Old 08-19-2022, 12:01 PM   #26
Moto-Mojo

Quote:
took it to firestone,who checked all wheels for runout,suspension and hubs for the princely sum of 10 bucks,as well as rebalancing all wheels,i bet you cant guess which wheel and tire were not balanced correctly.had it up to 90,,,smooth as silk.
The one that got punched by the semi? Or…ALL of them!
Old 08-19-2022, 02:09 PM   #27
redcoats1976

it was the one that got semi-punched,actually its replacement.brand new OEM wheel,new tire installed by the chevy dealer...but yet they couldnt care to balance it right.then the service rep said to have the other 3 ( had all 3 new tires installed and balanced at firestone) checked because chevy would charge me to check them.i guess i should be glad i did.,..it would suck to pay chevy a lot more to do it incorrectly.our local firestone has been pretty good over the years.the old rim and tire were only good for the aluminum,big chunks just gone.
Old 08-19-2022, 08:32 PM   #28
Moto-Mojo

Quote:
it was the one that got semi-punched,actually its replacement.brand new OEM wheel,new tire installed by the chevy dealer...but yet they couldnt care to balance it right.then the service rep said to have the other 3 ( had all 3 new tires installed and balanced at firestone) checked because chevy would charge me to check them.i guess i should be glad i did.,..it would suck to pay chevy a lot more to do it incorrectly.our local firestone has been pretty good over the years.the old rim and tire were only good for the aluminum,big chunks just gone.
Too few “experts” really understand balancing and the associated problems that might cause them. Your experience is, unfortunately, too typical. Including how to troubleshoot and calibrate their own balancing machines.

Glad you got it sorted out!