Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Phastek Performance

Old 05-13-2021, 09:12 PM   #15
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
This is EXACTLY why I do as much of my own maintenance as possible, I didn't even use my "free" oil changes from the dealer after I bought my SS, saving $100 wasn't worth the risk of some knuckle-head tech that doesn't know anything about a Camaro or LT1 engine...

Hell, I even went out and bought an $1,100 QuickJack to help out on the Camaro (and rest of the cars, also have ramps)... (I've been doing my own maintenance on my cars for decades... Wife has even helped out changing alternators on the kid's Santa Fe when I've needed and extra hand... Grease up to her elbows!)

Got tired of using Homer Buckets as jack stands...

I keeed, I keeed... Here is "The Rest of the Story..." (just the calipers were on the buckets)

Oh, and my wife that helped with the alternator replacement on the Santa Fe, yeah she also suggested baking my rotors (after I painted the top hats black) in our kitchen oven!!! (I originally had them sitting on my driveway in the sun hoping for a little "bake"...)

I think she might be a keeper! (been together 33 years)

Is it just rumors you think or is it true there have been dealers totaling C8s because they don't put them on the lift properly? I've read a couple cases of Chevy dealers not mounting them properly and they half fall off the lift causing major damage.
CamaroSSStlfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 09:26 PM   #16
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSSStlfan View Post
Is it just rumors you think or is it true there have been dealers totaling C8s because they don't put them on the lift properly? I've read a couple cases of Chevy dealers not mounting them properly and they half fall off the lift causing major damage.
well, you tell me...

Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 09:33 PM   #17
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
well, you tell me...

Wow. And these were the "experts" at Chevy???

I mean they gotta replace the car BUT how with the Corvette shortage? Oh it would be replaced and even if the dealer had to pay the high ADM for a new one on another dealers lot. Either they eat the cost or they'd get sued. Unless the insurance company gives fair market value which would be very high right now for used C8s. You could pocket that extra thousands and get one a normal prices in a year.

Every says it's a myth popping the T tops on vettes before going on lifts but it's true. My dad years ago was at an auto shop and saw a Vette going on the lift. A couple seconds later he heard a very loud POP and yep the Chassis on a Vette cracked.

If I had a Vette I'd only take it to a reputable performance shop.
CamaroSSStlfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 09:42 PM   #18
Devstrike

Drives: 2020 Camaro LT1
This is why I did a ton of research with costumer reviews from 4 different sources because due to my handicap I can't work on my car so I have to have someone do it for me. My dealer so far has lifted my car correctly and I have had 0 issues or complaints.
Devstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 10:11 PM   #19
Heat Magnet

Drives: 2021 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS
I vowed after I got my Camaro to not take it to the dealer for oil changes and tire rotations. It's not because I have an issue with them doing it. It's because when I picked my car up, they only gave me one key fob because they "misplaced" the other one. So they had me go back through next weekend to get the other key fob, only for it to not have the manual key. They said I could come back to get it next time but I told them just to mail it for me. Also, when I got my car detailed, they almost didn't want to do it until my dad and I walked up and asked why it was taking kinda long to do it (the manager for that department said the sales guy didn't tell him we would be hanging around nearby while waiting for the detail job to be done).
  2. 2021 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS Coupe
    Black, Redline Edition, 1LE Suspension Package, 10L80 transmission, NPP, Body color high wing spoiler, Ground effects kit, 48-state legal Brembo brakes
Heat Magnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 12:51 AM   #20
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
if i wanted someone else to work on my car i would've bought a bugatti.
Old 05-14-2021, 05:55 AM   #21
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
If you haven't received the survey for your initial oil change, make sure you tear them to shreds on it. If there's one thing you can hold a little leverage on it's the surveys. Dealers and GM actually take them very seriously. Let loose on them if you get one.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 05:55 AM   #22
Spaceme1117

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS, 2011 Corvette GS
I understand that some people cannot work on their own cars themselves.

But I have learned from 1st hand experience to NEVER bring your car in to ANY Chevy dealership for ANYTHING unless you want them to **** up your car.

Do whatever work or maintenance you can, yourself even if still under warranty.
Spaceme1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 06:31 AM   #23
JT58

Drives: Former 2016 Camaro 1LT
Geez- that was so dumb of the dealership! Total imcompetence. I would have brought it back and complained to the general manager and get something out of it- like free accessory or free oil change, etc.

I am not surprised though. I read about things like this time and time again. I still do all of my own work at 62. I do have to go to places to mount and balance tires though. I don't have that equipment and even though I outsource that AND I take only the tires and wheels to the shops I still have a lot of trouble. I'd say only 40% of the time they get it right. I fear that when I am too old I'll have to bring it somewhere and rely on someone else but until then I plan on doing my own work until I absolutely can't anymore.

One time I needed a GTI tire replacement due to a nail in the side wall. I took the entire tire to Tire Kingdom for them to order a tire. They saw the brand and size on the sidewall. How could they possibly go wrong? They ordered the wrong size tire. Forget that, ordered from Tire Rack and got it way cheaper. Had the tire mounted and balanced at Tires Plus- they put the wheel weights visible in the wheel cutouts. Had to bring it to the best shop in town and they rotated the tire on the wheel to hide the weights. They knew what to do.

Just last week my C6 Corvette tire had a slow leak. Razor blade cut. My favorite good shop was closed Saturday. So there was a new shop that opened- I gave them a try. Oh yeah they found the leak and patched the tire. Gave me the tire and wheel back filthy dirty covered in the worst muck. I took it home, cleaned it up only to find that the gouged and scraped the wheel so bad, I had to file the gouges, sand, wet sand, paint, wet sand again, paint, clear cost and buff the entire wheel. They also did not re-balance the tire as they said they would. They pretty much ruined the wheel. It now doesn't match the other wheels perfectly but I plan on new wheels anyway. They also lost the original chrome valve stem cap and replaced it with a black one so it didn't match the other 3. I found another chrome one in my spare parts bin. At least the flat is fixed, LOL

Very hard to find talented people to do car work today.
Old 05-14-2021, 06:35 AM   #24
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
CamaroSSS, invest in some ramps or jacks and you can do your own oil changes. That is what the majority of us folks do on this forum and it’s not difficult to do!
Old 05-14-2021, 06:42 AM   #25
sengli

Drives: 2015commemorative vert 2SS
Well at least they put oil back in the engine. Have you checked to see if it was filled, or maybe over filled? I concur with most everyone else here. The dealerships are just to rushed to sometimes take time to always do the best job.
Attached Images

sengli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 06:43 AM   #26
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceme1117 View Post
I understand that some people cannot work on their own cars themselves.

But I have learned from 1st hand experience to NEVER bring your car in to ANY Chevy dealership for ANYTHING unless you want them to **** up your car.

Do whatever work or maintenance you can, yourself even if still under warranty.
I don't know... I lived in the same area for 30 years or so and have taken my GM vehicles to the local dealer here numerous times. Never had an issue. They do great work. I take my Camaro into them and have never had an issue. Just because some people have a bad experience with their local dealers, doesn't make them all bad.
jamala00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 07:02 AM   #27
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamala00 View Post
I don't know... I lived in the same area for 30 years or so and have taken my GM vehicles to the local dealer here numerous times. Never had an issue. They do great work. I take my Camaro into them and have never had an issue. Just because some people have a bad experience with their local dealers, doesn't make them all bad.
Unfortunately the problem is you don't know which ones are good or bad until you have your own personal experience. You can read all the reviews and that dealer may have 5 stars all the way down and you take your car to them once and they screw it up. Which will make you believe that dealer is absolutely the worst there ever was and they should all be fired and the entire dealership should be run out of business.

And then there could be one with a bad reputation yet they have customers who like you have been going to that dealer for everything for 30 years and never once had a problem.

It's an industry issue, not just General Motors. There needs to be consistent application of proper customer service and knowledgeable mechanics.

I've always felt there should be techs specifically trained to handle only the Camaros and Corvettes. In fact, there really needs to be 2 or 3 dedicated bays in the garage for nothing but the performance line, and no one is allowed to even go over there if you haven't passed rigorous testing on all the latest nuances and information about every Corvette and Camaro in production.

When the 6th gen first came out, there were many stories of dealers not filling the LT1 with the proper 10 quarts. The 5th gen LS3 required 6 quarts. There was too much assumption going on and no one could even bother to open an owners manual!
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 07:10 AM   #28
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
Remember the people doing oil changes and rotations are the lowest ranked/youngest "mechanics" in the shop.

*FORD* I had a flat on a late friday afternoon and had to be towed in, got there are 530, closes at 6 and refused to patch the tire until the next day. Stranded me overnight (essentially).

Chevy charged me $60 on a tire patch once, too, that roadside towed in.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote