Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-25-2021, 09:13 AM   #29
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
Personally, I am for an EV DD to leave the wear and tear off the fun car.

But otherwise, a manual ICE car will be fun for me. Notice I said "fun", not "does sick 0-60 pulls".
What's wrong with having a reasonably fuel-efficient ICE-MT car for the daily stuff? Why not keep as much of the fun car's fun in the DD as you can?

Norm
Old 04-25-2021, 09:23 AM   #30
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by 396ssrat View Post
Electric vehicles remind me of 2001, a space odyssey. Your every move monitored by Hal.
You have exactly the same concern with an ICE car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
What's wrong with having a reasonably fuel-efficient ICE-MT car for the daily stuff? Why not keep as much of the fun car's fun in the DD as you can?

Norm
Because no one buys those and they are all but gone. GM makes 3 cars with a manual and 2 of them are only available at $60k plus on the sticker (Blackwing). Heck 2 of GM’s divisions don’t even sell a car, trucks and SUVs only.

For fuel efficiency, manuals aren’t the answer anymore. In line haul tractors, manuals are being replaced by automated manuals and automatics as the computer is better than the driver.
Old 04-25-2021, 10:04 AM   #31
Cmax

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS FIFTY convertible
Everyone is already in a tizzy about how to properly dispose of AA batteries, and the same folks give zero thought about the scarring of the earth to mine the extraordinary ore needed to MAKE batteries.
Then with all the car manufacturers announcing all vehicles electric by XX, but no one is talking about the need for all the extra power plants we need to burn the fossil fuel to generate the electricity to charge the batteries.
Also, Has there been any conversation about disposing of all the Prius’s once the batteries go bad?
Seems to me we are just creating different problems in search of a solution....
Cmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 10:15 AM   #32
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
You have exactly the same concern with an ICE car.
Not if you remove the satellite communications device
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 10:17 AM   #33
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Because no one buys those and they are all but gone. GM makes 3 cars with a manual and 2 of them are only available at $60k plus on the sticker (Blackwing). Heck 2 of GM’s divisions don’t even sell a car, trucks and SUVs only.

For fuel efficiency, manuals aren’t the answer anymore. In line haul tractors, manuals are being replaced by automated manuals and automatics as the computer is better than the driver.
There’s such a thing as personal preference. Fun. Enjoying being one with the car.

Again, you will only get me away from manual transmissions if you pry my cold, dead right hand off the gear lever.

I’d rather be stuck in stop and go traffic in a manual ‘86 Yugo than a brand new C8.

I am very serious about that too.
Old 04-25-2021, 10:32 AM   #34
MR2Aaron

Drives: 2021 Camaro 1SS, 2012 Scion iQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dathomas94 View Post
There’s no replacement for displacement !
Except for some lithium in the basement...
MR2Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 10:39 AM   #35
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR2Aaron View Post
Except for some lithium in the basement...
Lithium doesn’t sound like a Chevy small block
Old 04-25-2021, 11:02 AM   #36
digitalfutur

Drives: 2018 Camaro RS 3.6 A8
EVs are the future, including performance cars. and the trend is irreversible. It will take about 25 years for a complete transition, but eventually ICE vehicles will be an oddity on the road...you hardly see any 25 year old cars on the road around compared to newer models.

The range anxiety issue for EVs has already been solved, as as the cost. In fact any EV today has a lower TCO (total cost of ownership) than its equivalent ICE counterpart, due the savings on fuel and on maintenance. The number of recharge stations and their location is on its way to being solved, though 90% of EV charging is done at home. Electrical capacity will also be solved. Why? Because of demand. Human ingenuity doesn't operate in a vacuum disconnected from the real world.

Change always has its opponents, that hasn't changed since textile workers threw their sabbots (shoes) into the automated machines that were putting a lot of them out work, a futile attempt at sabotaging the future.

Anyone driving a Camaro today who opposes EVs, just because, is a driving contradiction. Vastly improved specific power output, far lower emissions, fully computerized systems/connectivity (multiple CPUs) and much better collision protection for its occupants; are just a few of the "appliance" improvements.

Since they continue to drive them, the real reason for their opposition to EVs isn't the concept, it's the nostalgia for the good 'ol days. That hasn't stopped progress before, and it won't with EVs.
digitalfutur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 11:03 AM   #37
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalfutur View Post
EVs are the future, including performance cars. and the trend is irreversible. It will take about 25 years for a complete transition, but eventually ICE vehicles will be an oddity on the road...you hardly see any 25 year old cars on the road around compared to newer models.

The range anxiety issue for EVs has already been solved, as as the cost. In fact any EV today has a lower TCO (total cost of ownership) than its equivalent ICE counterpart, due the savings on fuel and on maintenance. The number of recharge stations and their location is on its way to being solved, though 90% of EV charging is done at home. Electrical capacity will also be solved. Why? Because of demand. Human ingenuity doesn't operate in a vacuum disconnected from the real world.

Change always has its opponents, that hasn't changed since textile workers threw their sabbots (shoes) into the automated machines that were putting a lot of them out work, a futile attempt at sabotaging the future.

Anyone driving a Camaro today who opposes EVs, just because, is a driving contradiction. Vastly improved specific power output, far lower emissions, fully computerized systems/connectivity (multiple CPUs) and much better collision protection for its occupants; are just a few of the "appliance" improvements.

Since they continue to drive them, the real reason for their opposition to EVs isn't the concept, it's the nostalgia for the good 'ol days. That hasn't stopped progress before, and it won't with EVs
That’s your opinion, which is pretty much completely wrong in all counts.

For people who look at cars as simply an appliance, sure.

But not enthusiasts.

This is a forum for Camaro enthusiasts. You should expect your BS to not fly here.
Old 04-25-2021, 11:06 AM   #38
digitalfutur

Drives: 2018 Camaro RS 3.6 A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post

But not enthusiasts.

This is a forum for Camaro enthusiasts. You should expect your BS to not fly here.
You're going to need to buy more shoes.
digitalfutur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 11:09 AM   #39
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalfutur View Post
You're going to need to buy more shoes.
There’s plenty of forums out there to take your bovine excrement about electric garbage.

This ain’t one of them.

It’s not a case of people losing their jobs here.... it’s a case of politics and brainwashing.
Old 04-25-2021, 11:15 AM   #40
Puddin

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:

But not enthusiasts.

The enthusiasts are a shrinking number. With tracks closing down, epa investigating performance shops, ecus becoming more complex to tune its becoming harder and harder to justify owning a sports/muscle car without being able to use it to its potential.
Puddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 11:19 AM   #41
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddin View Post
The enthusiasts are a shrinking number. With tracks closing down, epa investigating performance shops, ecus becoming more complex to tune its becoming harder and harder to justify owning a sports/muscle car without being able to use it to its potential.
That may be, but as long as I still function I’m not putting up with it.

I joined this forum to talk Camaros with V8s. Not appliances.

Big difference.
Old 04-25-2021, 11:28 AM   #42
Puddin

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
That may be, but as long as I still function I’m not putting up with it.

I joined this forum to talk Camaros with V8s. Not appliances.

Big difference.
Well I hate to be the bearer of bad news but it looks like the Camaro is going to have to go to electric if it wants any chance of survival. This website will just have to make an extra sub section when it eventually happens.
Puddin is offline   Reply With Quote