Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-11-2023, 11:43 AM   #1
GunMetalGrey

Drives: Track prepped 2018 Camaro ZL1 (a10)
Two levels for a 10 fluid? Street versus track?

Title should say A10 for the 10 speed auto

I just came across this on page 15 of the high-performance owners manual supplement, it says, and I quote “have the transmission fluid set to the track specific oil level prior to track use” to me that makes it almost sound as if there are two different levels you can fill the automatic transmission too, one for Street and one for track but it’s not very specific or clear.

Does anybody know anything more about this?

Last edited by GunMetalGrey; 04-11-2023 at 12:30 PM.
GunMetalGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 12:29 PM   #2
GunMetalGrey

I just read a fluid change service instruction document for GM technicians for the a10

It mentions for the Cadillac CTSV and LT1 Camaro that the fluid level should be checked at a different higher temp between 131 and 149 degree F if it's for the track. Of course, a ZL1 has an LT4 like the Cadillac CTSV. If the car is not being tracked, then the fluid is supposed to be checked at a temperature between 95 and 113°F

And then goes on to mention that if the car has a thermal bypass valve, which I do not know if my car has or not so I'm not sure if that applies, but then it says it should be checked after it reaches 90° C and then his cool back down to between 95 and 113°F

Basically, it sounds like the only option there is if a car does not have a thermal bypass valve, if it does not, then it needs to be measured at a higher fluid temperature if it is being tracked.

Do we know if our car's A10 has a thermal bypass valve on it?
Old 04-11-2023, 08:56 PM   #3
GunMetalGrey

Dealership did a VIN search and no thermal bypass valve came up for ZL1

It would seem to me that if a dealership did not fill to track levels that would mean it would essentially be overfilled during track use age under higher heat conditions, not sure how bad that is, definitely wouldn’t seem to be nearly as bad as under filling in my opinion, but those are just my thoughts and probably my last thoughts on this particular thread