Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 05-13-2021, 08:34 AM   #1
BeauRichardson

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro SS
Bad Coils?

Alright, boosted (11 psi) , cammed, e85, lt4 high side and injectors, fore dual pump on the low side.

Car seems to run fine at idle, but at WOT it starts misfiring like nobody’s business. Breaking up, flashing CEL. The second i mat the pedal and it downshifts is when it starts. at least that what it seems like. might be a little after (like a second at the longest).

I have colder plugs, smaller gap, taylor wires. only thing else i could think of would be tune or ignition coils. i do have the msd 2-step as well.

how do i test coils? what do you think it is? anyone ever dealt with this issue?
BeauRichardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 08:54 AM   #2
Umbriel

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
If you are on full E85 you might be running out of fuel. Can you drop the boost a few pounds and see if it still does it?

Might want to post this in the Forced Induction section.
Umbriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 10:34 AM   #3
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauRichardson View Post
Breaking up, flashing CEL.
What is the code?
Coil packs would not be my first guess.
Since this is (right now) a wide open guessing game, I'll go with throttle position sensor problem.
ctrlz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 10:44 AM   #4
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Is it rich or lean at WOT.

That will narrow down where the problem is.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 11:15 AM   #5
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
What's your high side pressure at WOT. My car missed and threw multiple codes when my hpfp went out. High side was around 2000psi and the curve was wery jagged looking, sort of like a compressed ekg. Normal is 2800 - 2900 with a nice, smooth curve
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 12:36 PM   #6
BeauRichardson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
Is it rich or lean at WOT.

That will narrow down where the problem is.
it is extremely rich at idle, which is an issue that will have to be worked out with the tuner. as far as WOT, i’m not sure. I don’t log nor have a wideband gauge so here soon i’ll be getting hp tuners and a wideband so i can log, but next week i’m seeing the tuner so we can log what exactly is going on. luckily i don’t drive the car hard often, do to traction issues and the roads here in oklahoma.
Old 05-13-2021, 12:38 PM   #7
BeauRichardson

Quote:
Originally Posted by L78toLT1 View Post
What's your high side pressure at WOT. My car missed and threw multiple codes when my hpfp went out. High side was around 2000psi and the curve was wery jagged looking, sort of like a compressed ekg. Normal is 2800 - 2900 with a nice, smooth curve
i’m unsure how i could log that, i do not have hp tuners, tuners, but i do have a code reader that does log. just don’t know what all of it means. what would it show up as?
I’ll be getting Hp tuners soon so i can log. but next week i’m seeing the tuner to log, since i don’t drive that much it’s not a timely matter
Old 05-13-2021, 12:40 PM   #8
BeauRichardson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
What is the code?
Coil packs would not be my first guess.
Since this is (right now) a wide open guessing game, I'll go with throttle position sensor problem.
it does have a tps code, but as far as i know, it’s just a permanent code that was thrown in the past and is just always going to show up. at least that’s what i was told by a previous tuner
Old 05-13-2021, 01:23 PM   #9
BeauRichardson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbriel View Post
If you are on full E85 you might be running out of fuel. Can you drop the boost a few pounds and see if it still does it?

Might want to post this in the Forced Induction section.
it’s not full e85 currently. it’s probably sitting around 60-65%
and thank you, i’ll post it there too
Old 05-13-2021, 01:31 PM   #10
parish8

Drives: 17 SS a8
Number one stop flooring it.

Almost for sure a fuel/tuning issue. You need a log with a wideband. Need to look at a/f, pw, fuel pressures...
Old 05-13-2021, 01:35 PM   #11
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
it does have a tps code, but as far as i know, it’s just a permanent code that was thrown in the past and is just always going to show up. at least that’s what i was told by a previous tuner
So does it have a misfire code too???
ctrlz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 07:12 PM   #12
BeauRichardson

Quote:
Originally Posted by parish8 View Post
Number one stop flooring it.

Almost for sure a fuel/tuning issue. You need a log with a wideband. Need to look at a/f, pw, fuel pressures...
i definitely stopped. the second it started that i let out
Old 05-13-2021, 07:13 PM   #13
BeauRichardson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
So does it have a misfire code too???
no sir, but the code reader live logs misfires, but doesn’t throw codes so i have no idea where it’s coming from. but it logged misfires way back before i was even cammed. just 6 psi boost in a procharger. and i changed my plugs multiple times, at many different gaps
Old 04-01-2022, 03:26 PM   #14
Back To Pray

Drives: Fireball 700
Quote:
Alright, boosted (11 psi) , cammed, e85, lt4 high side and injectors, fore dual pump on the low side.

Car seems to run fine at idle, but at WOT it starts misfiring like nobody’s business. Breaking up, flashing CEL. The second i mat the pedal and it downshifts is when it starts. at least that what it seems like. might be a little after (like a second at the longest).

I have colder plugs, smaller gap, taylor wires. only thing else i could think of would be tune or ignition coils. i do have the msd 2-step as well.

how do i test coils? what do you think it is? anyone ever dealt with this issue?
I’m experiencing the same after installing a MSD 2step, except that it’s still flashing CEL and misfiring after removing the 2step.

What did you end up doing?
Back To Pray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice or opinions, help please, misfire, problems, tuning