Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

AWE Tuning

Old 05-11-2021, 08:22 PM   #29
weemus

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
I talked with you at CMP. Had the black 1le. I’ll be at VIR as well at month end with THSCC. CMP ran hard will test the brakes. VIR has enormous cooling zones so you won’t tax the brakes but the end of the front and rear straight are where you need to be mindful of pedal feel and right thereafter (2 as if 2 feels good 3 is good as well). You will be fine esp with SRF and stock pads won’t fade. I’ve only boiled fluid and only at CMP.

One issue while learning is the running too intrusive traction/yaw control settings that rely on the brakes. The car can overuse them to achieve its desired result. What mode do you run?
weemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 08:49 PM   #30
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
I started CMP on PTM Dry, then upped it Sport 1 (I didn't want to give up the stability control just yet). My goal at CPM (and forward for the time being) is to drive just beneath the TCS and the stability control kicking in (despite PTM being designed to let you mash the throttle and deciding how much torque to meter out, I don't like the idea of depending on it that way). I looked at the PDR data from CPM and looks like so far, I've mostly achieved these goals: The stability control never had to intervene (despite pulling 1.25g in 3 or 4 corners) each lap, so I'm doing things smoothly. The PTM TCS did activate on at least 1 corner exit with each lap, so I'm clearly dipping into the throttle a bit more than the PTM activation threshold.

It would be nice to try the next level of PTM TCS (Sport 2), but still have the stability control active to help save my bacon if I make a stupid mistake. But the car seems plenty quick, even in Sport 1, so I'll stick with that for the time being as I continue to learn.
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 09:56 PM   #31
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Lots of good advise... only thing I'd add on wheels and tires is the stock setup is really good, just heavy. However, the car's stability control systems and PTM modes were developed around the stock wheels and tires, so I'd assume they're going to work best with the stock setup. Also, the tires are not too expensive, and downright cheap if you catch a tire rack sale or can get a USAA discount. They are really good when hot, they just take longer than you may like to warm up in some circumstances...

So, if you're going to do autox or time attack the SC3s don't heat up fast enough, and you don't need any nannies (arguably...) so for that application a square setup with 18" Apex SM-10s and 315/30s would be great. I ordered mine on the group buy that ended 4/20, but I have to wait til mid June. :( You can also get a GMPP autox tune for the rear diff, which is helpful in low speed corners. I run a square winter setup and the nannies work fine in that application, fwiw.

Those M3s are awesome cars too, I'd love to have an E92! Good luck with your SLE.
Old 05-12-2021, 10:57 AM   #32
weemus

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
N Camarolina that is exactly what I did was roll though the modes as soon as I felt the car intrude until I was at Track-Race. I went up each event from the last setting at the same track. Once I hit Track-Race I start there even on an unfamiliar track as I feel comfortable with the car.
weemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 09:26 AM   #33
AMOR

Drives: Camaro
Hi guys! Thanks again for all your answers and guidance. I ended up cancelling my order on the SS 1LE and got a brand new 2021 ZL1 1LE instead. I was afraid that SS would be underpowered for me coming from a modified BMW M3. It was a hard hunt due to the car shortage on the market right now, but I managed to steal one at MSRP after going through several dealerships that wanted mark-ups. If someone is looking for a dealership that still sells these cars with no markup in South Florida, you can PM me.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6e9ng9gr93...%2020%20PM.jpg

As for the car first impressions, it's like M3 on steroids! Definitely a solid piece of engineering and the performance is amazing for the price. I wanted a car that would be track ready out of the box and fast enough not to be tempted to modify it. And that's what it is. Such an amazing machine!
AMOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 01:12 PM   #34
5.M0NSTER

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Awesome! Congrats and welcome.

I also came from a BMW. 2017 M2. This car is a nice performance upgrade.

Already a lot of good info here. Here are my few cents:

- Keep the suspension stock for now. The mag dampers and the factory setup is very good.
- SC3s are just a little below Cup2 level of grip in my experience
- I have not tried factory pads, but I'd be skeptical. If you have lots of track experience, and develop consistently high speeds and like to brake LATE, I would upgrade. I used PFC08 on my M2 with great success, and this season I stuck a set of Hawk DCT60s in it in June, and just took them out 2 weeks ago. Decent performance on track, and they were quiet enough on the street to keep in. Consensus is they are hard on cold rotors, but if you don't daily much, not a concern.
- Castrol SRF all the way. On track it feels no different than RBF600, but it's wet boiling point is way higher. You can bleed your brakes once a year or 2. That's what I did on the M2, and I was running sub 8 min laps on the 'Ring.
5.M0NSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 05:44 PM   #35
Eldi Z

Drives: 17' 1SS 1LE GBA-Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
Awesome! Congrats and welcome.

Already a lot of good info here. Here are my few cents:

- Keep the suspension stock for now. The mag dampers and the factory setup is very good.
The OP ended up with a ZL1-1LE ,which means that he has the DSSV (Multamatic) coil-overs suspension,
not RPO FE4 MAG-Ride like on the ZL1 and the SS 1LE
Eldi Z is offline   Reply With Quote