Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Marketplace > Vendor and Seller review / feedback / experiences

Old 03-23-2018, 10:19 AM   #1
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
Done with Maryland Speed

Just putting the word out, as many have already experienced, that purchasing through Maryland Speed is a huge potential problem. After waiting for over three months for a set of old style flange Kooks off road pipes, needed so I could continue tracking the car after installing the LSA SC, I contacted Kooks to see if there was actually a problem with them sending the said pipes to Maryland Speed, since for the entire time the order has been in place, it's status has been "Kooks Processing".....

I was informed by a very friendly woman at Kooks customer service that they DO NOT sell to Maryland Speed, and have told their authorized vendors NOT TO SELL to Maryland Speed. They don't know where Maryland Speed is getting the Kooks parts to sell (and I guess Maryland Speed doesn't know either....).

I contacted Maryland Speed this morning, and was forced to leave a message (closed for the recent storm, a message I have gotten at least three times from them since January), which stated either refund my money within 24 hours or I will dispute the charge.

In the meantime, Kooks customer service asked for a copy of the Maryland Speed order form, and said they will get me the items, best price they can give, with free shipping.

Beware to all who are lured by the Maryland Speed prices......I will never make that mistake with them again.
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

ADM LSA Stage II, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LTH/HFC's, Phastek CC, ported TB, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, BC Racing ER Series CO's, JPSS 32mm Black Magic rear bar, JPSS front inserts, R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors/Goodrich SS lines, Schroth ASM harness, MGW flatstick, Brey-Krause HB, Tuned by NicD, at Cordes Performance Racing.
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 10:30 AM   #2
J Rod

Drives: '14 BRM 1LE 2SS/RS
I'm thinking about doing a cam swap in a couple years, perhaps I should place my order now huh?
LSA Blower w/ 2.45 Griptec, Reinforced Brick, FIC 1000 injectors, JRE FPCM, LFP Dual Pass HX, ZL1 IC pump, RotoFab CAI, Bo White TB, Coated Stainless Power 1-7/8" LTs, NPP, NGK TR7IX, Mighty Mouse Wild CC, AEM X-Series WB, Aeroforce Interceptor, MGW Shifter, Z28 Grill, Gary's Custom ZL1 Rockers, Hero Tails, Tuned by IMC
J Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 10:47 AM   #3
LETHAL2SS

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
I still can't believe that place has stayed in business
2010 Camaro 2SS-Mods: Nightfury cam, CNC ported LS3 heads, CNC ported TB, Ported Intake, RX Catch Can, MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mantic 9000 Clutch, TSP 1 7/8 headers, catless NPP, BMR trailing arms, MMR Z/28 Reps 20" gloss black. SOLD

2011 Red Jewel Tintcoat 2SS-Mods: Edlebrock E Force S/C w/ 3" pulley swap,Texas Speed roller Boost Cam 227/235, 641"/649", 114 LSA, PRC Ported Heads, Ported TB,ARH 1 7/8 headers, McLeod RST twin disk 1000 hp clutch, ZL1 Fuel Pump, 620whp
LETHAL2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 11:19 AM   #4
Deputy347k9

Drives: 2014 Ashen Gray Convertible
I can't believe a number of customers have not taken them to court! Especially after reading what Kook's customer service had to say. From what I have read there was a day and time that Maryland Speed was the place to go? Something went south? I feel so bad for all the customers that have lost money due to their unsavory practices.
Old 03-23-2018, 12:08 PM   #5
Outlaw77

Drives: 2018 Charger SRT 392 F8 Green
I had a good experience with Maryland. Mind you it was about 5 years ago now.
Outlaw77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 02:13 PM   #6
JLSuperfly

Drives: 2014 Red Hot LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Rod View Post
I'm thinking about doing a cam swap in a couple years, perhaps I should place my order now huh?
I am thinking of doing the same. My powertrain warranty will be done in about 18 months. LOL.
JLSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 02:52 PM   #7
Matt8892(2)

Drives: Black camaro 2ss 45th
Aaand that’s why they are no longer a site sponser
Matt8892(2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 02:56 PM   #8
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Drives: 2010 Camaro
I feel like the hunt for ever lower prices has resulted in customer service issues that are to be expected when a few dollars results in months of frustration.
Old 03-23-2018, 03:04 PM   #9
Hellfighter

Drives: 2013 Black ZL1
Check out the BBB for maryland, they are absolute trash and most likely scam artists to steal money, dont buy, report, and have them shut down .
Old 03-23-2018, 03:36 PM   #10
orange devil
Account Suspended

Drives: 2019 SS 2019 mustang GT
Looks like it's just not Camaro owners they have scorned

Maryland Speed warning
08Z51's Avatar08Z51 , 12-12-2017 07:47 PM
Just a warning to anyone looking for headers or other parts. I ordered headers from Maryland Speed Sept 11, was told to expect them in 3-4 weeks. It’s now over 3 months (13 weeks) they can’t say when it will ship (I’ve been told soon or next one out from coaster for 2 months). They refuse to refund my money. Never had an experience like this with any vendor. I’m not telling you who to buy from. Just don’t buy from Maryland speed. Buyer beware.

Avanti's AvatarAvanti , 12-12-2017 08:39 PM
You might wish to have your lawyer drop them a letter.

After 30 days (as I recall off-hand) it is against the law to not give you the chance to cancel your order, unless when they told you they were back-ordered you "authorized" the delay. Even then, I think they are required to give you the option of cancelling every 30 days thereafter. But, your or our attorneys here can advise/clarify what your rights are. Good luck!!!
Poppacapp's AvatarPoppacapp , 12-12-2017 11:31 PM
This is standard issue practice with Maryland Speed. I have a couple of friends who regretted ordering from them. Their favorite reply to a ETA request is 2 more weeks.

Newton06's AvatarNewton06 , 12-13-2017 12:11 AM
Wow, what a bunch of sh1bags!

Why are they allowed to pedal their merchandise here?

Now, that being said, I ordered Kooks for my C6 & C7 from them and did not have an issue.

Given your experience, I won't buy anything else from them.

Wouldn't your CC company be able to tell them to go pound sand?
NSCLC Information
Find Info About a Treatment Option
for Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer.
treatment-for-nsclc.com
dork's Avatardork , 12-13-2017 01:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newton06
Wow, what a bunch of sh1bags!

Why are they allowed to pedal their merchandise here?

Wouldn't your CC company be able to tell them to go pound sand?
I agree with all of this ^^^ . I dealt with them once. After 7 weeks of "next week", I filed a dispute with my CC company. Days after my CC acknowledged my dispute, I received my first self-initiated email from them (Maryland Speed) and curiously, my merch showed up ~4 days after my CC acknowledgement--that was prolly 6 or 7 days after I filed online with the CC company. Never again.
Lung Cancer Information
Get Educated About a Treatment
Option for Lung Cancer.
treatment-for-nsclc.com
X25's AvatarX25 , 12-13-2017 06:30 AM
+1, I filed a dispute after 3 months of waiting, trying to cancel, ordering something else instead and not getting it, either. Terrible experience.

walleyejack's Avatarwalleyejack , 12-13-2017 12:45 PM
i agree with all of the above. going through the same thing, i could explain what is going on, but i better be tight lipped for a bit. this friday is for wks for me. this morning email says, if it doesn t ship this week will be next week for sure. i can see that dragging on. not going to happen with me.
very poor customer service. if you want genuine details i can what is happening with them in
pm
MerakiAutoworks's AvatarMerakiAutoworks , 12-13-2017 01:40 PM
OP, what headers are you looking for?

Maybe we can assist you with a smooth transaction..

-Josh
walleyejack's Avatarwalleyejack , 12-13-2017 02:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerakiAutoworks
OP, what headers are you looking for?

Maybe we can assist you with a smooth transaction..

-Josh
josh
you can pm me a price also please.
i hate paying twice tho.
looking for Kooks with x pipe. catted and non.
MarylandSpeed's AvatarMarylandSpeed , 12-13-2017 03:28 PM
How many threads are you going to post?

My response is going to be the same as it always has been. You can get things cheap or fast. Yeah...maybe a manufacturer has something on the shelf. If you want it fast, pay them full retail, or pay our website price. Otherwise if we discount them, you will wait depending on how we source parts. In terms of billing, I am not going to go out and buy $1000 plus headers, and in many cases coat them, only to hope when they are done people pay for them. Most people don't need performance mods, so needs and priorities change on a whim. We cannot sell at the margins we do and be left high and dry because someone changes their mind. Hence the strict order terms, and billing up front.

I personally think it is disingenuous to accept a set of terms in exchange for a discount, then cry all over the internet to try and get faster service.

In terms of the BBB, we have a B rating in complaints where they moderate. They know how we do business and have a copy of our terms on file. The BBB does have a review section, which is not moderated in anyway. People post lies there under fake names all the time and there is nothing we can do about it. I call it the bathroom wall of the internet. If we have processed 110K plus orders and have 20 or so half truthful bad reviews on the BBB I can accept that.

As far as a further explanation I will just repost what I posted here-

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1595487559

Quote:
I have been out the office this week because of a close relative passing, and just saw these replies.

The ultimate answer is we can do cheap or fast. We cannot do both. A lot of our competitors do not offer coating, and charge more to buy from wholesalers. The wholesalers have the parts in stock because they charge more for them. So the answer is yes, you can buy somewhere else and often get Kooks immediately. But it costs more. We can do the same thing if don't want a big discount.

The problem we have is every comes to us wanting the best price. That is the need. You mention a wait and they don't care with a big discount. Saving money is the need. As you can see below, we are very clear about how we do business with the discounts.

Then magically after money changes hands, the need turns into "how fast can I get them". Then the longer it takes, the more it turns into "lets turn up the pressure"...with posts like here and so forth. Nobody really wants to cancel, because elsewhere costs $100s more. It's basically an unhappy marriage where no one wants to leave. I don't want to lose a sale, and the customer does not want to pay more.

I make notes when I take orders. And I have people who I tell "Dude you will wait"..and they are like "for that price I don't care". So I note that internal order notes. Then you see them here upset about how long it has been.

Below in the quotes is where we list delays and try and be up front.

As you can see, we tell people up front on their invoices that-

- They will not get updates
- ETAs are not promised
- Do not book an install until you get the parts.

Yet still people complain they did not updates, we did not deliver in the promised time, and they missed two booked installs.

Now this is not every sale. A lot of customers understand and are fine with the wait. Also a lot of customers have their orders ship early. The problem is, even if we hit our 3-5 week ETA on coated headers, that won't impress someone enough to complement us since people expect mail order to be next day now. We have had extended delays on a few parts, but that seems to be clearing. On average though we meet our ETA's.

It is important to understand that we don't go to the effort to disclaim there will be delays and have pretty strict terms like below if we were not trying to be up front. Those terms cost me sales all the time because someone will come in a say that they want a discount...then ask to have it in a week and we tell them no. Also, no other dealer goes to the level we do to express there may be delays.

Listed in every Kooks part in the shipping notes:

Quote:
Quote:

Kooks headers and exhaust are a handmade specialty product, and in many cases made to order. Once an order is in processing status, we cannot cancel your order. Orders for uncoated Kooks headers can take an estimated 2-4 weeks. Orders for coated headers can take an estimated 3-5 weeks. These are estimates, not promises. Do not book an installation until you have a tracking number. Orders for 2”, stepped, or limited production vehicles may take longer. If you have a shipping time concern, please contact us prior to purchase as we have added cost options for faster delivery. Do not order coated headers if you need a promised delivery date without contacting us first. In order to offer the pricing we do on this line, we must strictly enforce this policy. Kooks headers are sold for off road use only. They are not street legal.
Listed on every Kooks invoice along with link to terms. (emailed to customer with note in email to review in 24 hours and reply with any problems)-

Quote:
Quote:

Coated Orders-
Estimated 3-5 Weeks (Estimated, not promise)- Special Order- No Cancelations- Do not book install until you have parts. You will not receive updates unless you contact us until it ships.

Uncoated Orders
Estimated 2-3 Weeks (Estimated, not promise)- Special Order- No Cancelations- Do not book install until you have parts. You will not receive updates unless you contact us until it ships.
Sent to people after ordering coated headers-

Quote:
Quote:

The entire MarylandSpeed Staff would like to thank you for your coated header purchase! Installing headers is one of the best, most rewarding bolt on modifications available for your car. They will make a true seat of the pants difference in how your car performs!

We understand this may be one of the largest purchases you make for your car. We respect that you have chosen to spend this amount of money with us, and wanted to take a minute to explain up front the process for receiving a coated header from MarylandSpeed.

In your research, you may have noticed that we offer ceramic coating for significantly less than our competitors. In order for us to offer the ceramic coating at the price we do, we have to work with both Kooks, and the coater to get the best price possible in order to pass on. We do not call Kooks and say “Hey, send a header to the coater for this person”. Instead, we place large stocking orders with Kooks to get the best price possible, and then fill the orders as stock shows up. This means that every week, Kooks sends us a large stocking shipment from what they have made. We then use this shipment to fill orders on a first come, first served basis. Because of the handmade nature of Kooks, and high demand, there is often a running backorder on parts. Based on that, we expect your headers to be here in an estimated 1-3 weeks, and then take a week or two to coat. Again, these are estimated times, and your wait may be a little sooner or a little later. You also may receive one part before the other because Kooks makes headers and connection pipes at different times.

You will be provided notification of shipment for your parts to the coater and to your location as each occurs. We cannot however provide running updates because we often do not know what is on our shipments from Kooks until the day they show up. Because of this, and the custom nature of the coating, we ask that you do not book an installation appointment until you at least have tracking for all your parts. It is an even better idea to wait till you have them in hand, and can verify there are no damages, shortages, or defects. The last thing we want is for you to miss an install date because Kooks miss an ETA, or the headers did not get coated fast enough.

While we are set up to provide the coating at the best price possible, we do have added cost options for faster delivery. If you require expedited delivery, or delivery by a set date, please reply to this email explaining your situation. Depending on the part, we may have some options that can make the order move faster, such as dropshipping from the manufacturer, expedited shipping or rushing the coating.

Thanks for your business, and understanding of this process so we can bring you the best product at the best prices!
Listed in the order terms agreed to at checkout-

Quote:
Quote:

Discount Policy-

While our website already offers great sale pricing, in many cases we may offer additional package or promotional discounts beyond the standard website sale price. We pride ourselves on having the best price, and want to give you the best deals possible. These discounts may be offered on the phone, or through the chat feature of the website as a coupon code.

When we offer these additional package discounts, delivery time WILL be impacted in many cases. As we discount more, where and how we can source the parts for your order is impacted. For instance a 10% discount on a part can eliminate many of the suppliers we can source the part from on price alone. Or for another example, you may be offered a discount because we have a stock order coming in with that part and we got an extra discount. The order may not ship until that stock order gets here rather than being dropshipped as a one off from a wholesaler.

If you need the part by a certain time, PLEASE STOP THE PURCHASE PROCESS NOW and discuss it with the sales rep who is offering you the discount. It is the customers responsibility to communicate any time delivery time needs at the time of purchase as it impacts how much of a discount we can give. In order to keep prices low, we do not cancel orders, or accept non defective returns on orders with additional discounts beyond website sale price.

By accepting the discount, you agree to these terms.
Vettebuyer6369's AvatarVettebuyer6369 , 12-13-2017 04:29 PM
Vendor has responded, closing per TF rules.

Please do not continue to repeat these threads here or in other areas of the forum.