Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 01-08-2021, 11:46 AM   #1
Wrecks24

Drives: Camaro LT1
Visibility

I don't get all the hate regarding the visibility in the Camaro. Granted I am new to the car, I don't get it. Every single video I watch, they talk about the bad visibility. The only thing I can see would be the high dash, but I like it. I feel like I'm sitting "in" the car. My dad has a mustang and I don't notice a real difference, at least not enough to complain about it. If I wanted a panoramic view I would have bought a minivan. I guess maybe I am the the right height? I a 5'10 and 180 pounds. I feel like the car fits me. Now my wife is shorter, but then its only the front dash and when going over a hill she kinda has to lean forward to see...lol. Just ranting....
Wrecks24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 11:49 AM   #2
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
People don’t think excuses be like they is, but they do.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 11:54 AM   #3
DC5

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
With exception to when parking near curbs/other low obstacles and when I'm the first vehicle in line at a red light, this 6'4" tall driver has no complaints regarding outward visibility.
DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 11:55 AM   #4
Rhobz

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfoxy View Post
People don’t think excuses be like they is, but they do.
Rhobz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 11:59 AM   #5
HCI2000SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro V6/RS
The visibility issue is really blown out of proportion on these cars. Of course it's not as good as most cars, but the visibility that you have on most cars isn't completely necessary either. In other words this car has enough visibility where it counts. That's just my opinion
HCI2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 12:02 PM   #6
Nothing like an SS
Faster!!!

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Visibility issues are over blown by folks (reviewers) that are obviously reviewing the wrong car for them. lol

No issues with it at all, I'm 6 ft and with proper mirror adjustment, I never even think for a moment "gee, I can't see very well", never, not once. Is it great? Of course not, but more than adequate IMO.
Nothing like an SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 12:02 PM   #7
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Yeah well the way I see it if you are complaining about the visibility in a Camaro, then a person should get rid of it and buy another car or truck. It does take a while to get adjusted to the visibility but it’s okay once you do. The visibility is somewhat limited but other vehicles have visibility problems too.
Old 01-08-2021, 12:08 PM   #8
nancygrl
雪の玉

Drives: '22 Z71 RST Silverado
Wait, what, er, um there's a visibility problem....
nancygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 12:10 PM   #9
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
There's no denying that the visibility is poor on the Camaro. Lowering the sill even an inch or two would have helped and the back 3/4 view is terrible.

I've gotten used to it to where it's not really a big deal to me, but I can see how it would turn away some buyers. For me, the rest of the performance of the car was so good that I was able to overlook some of the weaknesses like this.

I was at an autoshow back in 2016 hanging around a 6th gen and overheard several comments of people sitting in it that were complaining about visibility and interior space (ie. "no one can fit in the back seat","wow - can't really see out of the thing!"). The fact that it's not a better coupe to live with has no doubt hurt sales.

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 12:10 PM   #10
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrecks24 View Post
I don't get all the hate regarding the visibility in the Camaro. Granted I am new to the car, I don't get it. Every single video I watch, they talk about the bad visibility. The only thing I can see would be the high dash, but I like it. I feel like I'm sitting "in" the car. My dad has a mustang and I don't notice a real difference, at least not enough to complain about it. If I wanted a panoramic view I would have bought a minivan. I guess maybe I am the the right height? I a 5'10 and 180 pounds. I feel like the car fits me. Now my wife is shorter, but then its only the front dash and when going over a hill she kinda has to lean forward to see...lol. Just ranting....
Congratulations on scoring an amazing car I also love how the car envelopes me, it's the closest experience to becoming one with it that I've had so far.

This thing has become a meme, it'll never go away until GM makes a change to the chassis design.

The issue is greatly exaggerated; the wide C pillar is tricky on obtuse left merges and the long hood with the high beltline makes narrow right turns and curb placement a bit more difficult, but both of these are of limited relevance. The Camaro is a sports car, not a fish tank or a monster truck. Correct side mirror setup eliminates all highway blind spots, and the BSM on higher trims adds another safety layer. A front or 360 camera would be a nice future addition, too.

Lots of threads on this same subject here, by the way

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 12:20 PM   #11
Dagstar

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
the wide C pillar is tricky on obtuse left merges and the long hood with the high beltline makes narrow right turns and curb placement a bit more difficult, but both of these are of limited relevance.
My thoughts exactly. I hardly ever am in the merging situation, and to be specific I mean merging left on a multi-lane road while waiting between center divides. And I somewhat overexaggerate my right turns to avoid curbs, no big deal.
Old 01-08-2021, 12:26 PM   #12
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Sorry guys, it's not "overblown".

It is a true and measurable issue. The only element improved over the Gen5 was over the hood and fender. I have to duck down to see stop lights.

This is a result of the "high belt/slammed roof" design theme brought to us by Carl Welburn. You would all laugh if you saw the BMW 3 Series they taped up to show the original ATS greenhouse. The ATS had similar, but nearly as severe problem.

So please everyone, take a step back from the internet and accept the fact that simply because you don't have a problem that other people must therefor be wrong.

It is a problem. Unlike how some here want it to be true, every magazine writer is not an idiot. Yes, again the internet, if you disagree with me then you must be an idiot.

You see I can grasp why some people don't have a problem with. LOL someone once said the poor visibility was ok because they compared their Camaro to a McLaren Super Car. Great if that's how you feel and love it that it isn't an issue for you. But it still doesn't mean it's not an issue.

By the way for reference, my Master's Thesis was on the development of driver packaging and vision tools and I managed the Ergonomics Department.
Old 01-08-2021, 12:30 PM   #13
Wrecks24

Drives: Camaro LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtirocz View Post
(ie. "no one can fit in the back seat","wow - can't really see out of the thing!").
Right, Its not a family car. If something happens and I HAVE to put someone back there, they can. But road tripping with my family? I'll take the SUV.
Wrecks24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 12:32 PM   #14
Nothing like an SS
Faster!!!

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE
I think what folks here are saying, is not that the visibility isn't far less than great, it is barely good, but we adapt and it becomes a non-issue. We accept and adapt, I do not feel it is an issue at all.
I have driven vehicles (not just cars) with far less visibility than this.

Is it bad? Sure, but I don't find it bothering, or disrupting my ability to drive at all, or causing me to be/feel unsafe at any time.
Nothing like an SS is offline   Reply With Quote