Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 11-29-2019, 11:28 AM   #1
Mister Will

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
A10 or M6?

I'm looking for an explanation as to why the A10 is superior to the M6 or manual transmission. I realize that this question has been debated at length and the response may be to "use the search function". I have done a search and the two main reasons are that the A10 is better than previous autos, and that previous die hard manual guys are now opting for the A10. But no one seems to specifically say why the A10 is superior to a manual?

Some back ground. I have a SS 1LE. But I have an itch for a ZL1 for obvious reasons (more power, performance). Should I get a ZL1, I would have a decision to make; A10 or M6? I like manuals just like everyone else. The A10 is optional equipment($) and the gas tax is higher for one. When I think performance driving I think of shifting a manual. I also don't want to get bored. But for getting around in So. Cal, an automatic has its advantages. Not to mention that as I am getting older, my joints can be get irritated. irritated joints is not a deal breaker at this point but what about the future. Most of my driving will be interstate and back roads, or canyons ( for So Cal people think Palomar Mt. or Mesa Grande). To be honest there are times when I would rather not shift on my own. I would also wonder about heal and toe in a corner with ZL1 torque. Then again, the manual will keep my wife and my son out of the car. But would I want to teach my son to drive manual on a 650 hp car?

I'm just looking for a specific explanation for why enthusiasts are opting for the A10. Is it simply because it is now the fastest configuration? Does it sacrifice the driving experience? Has the day actually arrived that the A10 is a better transmission than the manual?

Thanks for your replies in advance.
Mister Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 11:50 AM   #2
stevel664

Drives: 2017 black vert 2019 redeye WB
Of course the A10 is a superior trans. Not to mention faster. If you want a man experience use the paddles. You will never regret it in a million years getting the A10 especially as you age.
stevel664 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 11:56 AM   #3
collinms

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevel664 View Post
Of course the A10 is a superior trans. Not to mention faster. If you want a man experience use the paddles. You will never regret it in a million years getting the A10 especially as you age.
+1 your most important decision when buying a ZL1. It's just faster, period.
collinms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 11:59 AM   #4
hammerdahn

Drives: 19 ZLE
Both are great. A10 is the only transmission to get if you're going to drag race or even road coarse. But on the street the M6 absolutely adds to the driving experience. Slamming through the 1st three gears on an on ramp is one of the best automotive experiences you'll have and I do mean slamming, it loves being shifted hard and fast. Some claim there's a bogging issue with the M6 from 1st gear but it's actually driver error. They're just not used to the clutch/throttle. Once you get used to it, you won't experience often.
hammerdahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 12:08 PM   #5
LT4

Drives: all sold, getting another soon..
My 2 cents... The ZL1 doesn't 'need' a M6 to be fun like the SS and LT did with the A8. It feels almost like an electric motor because the shits are so smooth and constantly happening. It also has rev matching, not just with paddle shifters, but just using the brakes in sport mode, you hear the rev matching kick in on every gear down to first. Until the Corvette C8 arrives, this is the auto to have. Also, paddles shifting a ZL1 is a bit silly because you will never be in a better gear than the auto would put you in.

That being said, if you truly have no need for an auto, ever...
-You don't daily drive it in heavy traffic.
-You live near excellent winding roads (like CA,TN,NC,GA)
-You are a traditionalist and think of the ZL1 more a muscle car than sports car

...you then may want to use the $1500 for other purposes.
Old 11-29-2019, 12:51 PM   #6
Brudda*Termite

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevel664 View Post

This, especially the aging part, haha. My A8 works great since I did the shudder service bulletin. I've driven manual trans cars for 40 years, and the convenience of the A8 is awesome, plus I know it's faster than anything I could do with a stick. My next Camaro will be an A10...
Old 11-29-2019, 12:51 PM   #7
jjgi5150

Drives: 2022 ZL1 1LE
Hi,

I'm all in for the M6 in the ZLE, but only the ZLE M6 because of the closer 6th gear than that in the standard ZL1 M6. I do not like the much bigger drop-off in 6th that the standard ZL1 M6 has.

Of all the manual transmissions I have driven in the last few decades, the Tremec M6 in the ZLE is by far the very best. Great gear ratios, smooth shifting, strong enough for the power the motor makes, and one of the shortest shift patterns of all my previous stock shifters.

One's choice for auto or manual should be strictly based on what you like to do with a sports/performance car. OP, your original reference to SoCal mountain roads is just what I enjoy about the car. I do not race and never will, but I get to enjoy race car feelings on the roadway based on the fantastic power, gearing and suspension of the ZLE.

If you choose to do any drag racing, then go for the A10 auto. If you want to enjoy the mountain roads in SoCal, there is nothing better than a ZLE M6, and save the extra cost of an A10 for PDR or ?????

It seems like the auto will be the only option for just about all makers soon. Look at Porsche, BMW, etc...pretty much all autos now. Enjoy one of the best M6's around in a ZLE...while they last.

Good luck...hope to see you around Palomar soon...

JJ
2023 Hyundai SF Calligraphy
jjgi5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 01:29 PM   #8
Alwaysplus1

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
I have an A10. I debated this for quite a while. I am VERY happy in my decision. I had a 2013 ZL1 prior with a manual. Although the manual was fun, this is just as much fun ripped through the gears with the paddle. You won’t regret it IMO.
Alwaysplus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 01:59 PM   #9
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
A10 - Makes for the fastest ZL1 and for an automatic it may be one of the best in the world, especially once it recognizes you want to play and then eggs you on. That was some fun for me.

M6 - The most fun transmission to me since I prefer a manual with more driver involvement. But the M6 built in bog slows it down to slightly better than SS levels in the 1/4. It sucks out a little of the fun.

But if I ever buy another ZL1 it will be a manual if you can still get one.
Old 11-29-2019, 02:04 PM   #10
SteveV

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Camaro 6M Red Hot
My ZL1 is a manual. It is easy to work around the "bog".

As far as age goes, I am 52 going on 53. Love my M6. Would not have it any other way.

In fact, the lack of a 3rd pedal is what will keep me from ever buying a C8. Might push me to a Porsche in the future.
Old 11-29-2019, 02:21 PM   #11
greaser2

Drives: 2017 A10 ZL1 KG
Its not about which is better, their both great trans. The A10 feels like a manual when u get on the pedal. The car will jerk, gears wine, just like a manual when you get on it. Best of both worlds the way I look at it.
greaser2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 03:15 PM   #12
Markoz28

Drives: 18 ZL1 nightfall grey A10
The M6 is to show off to the passenger. The A10 is to win races. Plain and simple. I know the manual is a good feeling ride. I had an 11sec 2001 SS with 6spd. Loved it! But there is nothing faster than a well built auto. I’m having more fun winning right now.
Markoz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 04:30 PM   #13
Zigg L1

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Garnet Red Tintcoat A10
A10 here too!! Love it. Always had and enjoyed manual transmission but for cruising I wanted to try the A10. When I drove it I was amazed. Slap the gas and it turns into performance mode and it is crazy. Like to above posted it jerks and down shifts like you would want to but before you think of it. It keeps you in the rev and ready to rip.
Zigg L1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 04:45 PM   #14
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjgi5150 View Post
Hi,

I'm all in for the M6 in the ZLE, but only the ZLE M6 because of the closer 6th gear than that in the standard ZL1 M6. I do not like the much bigger drop-off in 6th that the standard ZL1 M6 has.

Of all the manual transmissions I have driven in the last few decades, the Tremec M6 in the ZLE is by far the very best. Great gear ratios, smooth shifting, strong enough for the power the motor makes, and one of the shortest shift patterns of all my previous stock shifters.

One's choice for auto or manual should be strictly based on what you like to do with a sports/performance car. OP, your original reference to SoCal mountain roads is just what I enjoy about the car. I do not race and never will, but I get to enjoy race car feelings on the roadway based on the fantastic power, gearing and suspension of the ZLE.

If you choose to do any drag racing, then go for the A10 auto. If you want to enjoy the mountain roads in SoCal, there is nothing better than a ZLE M6, and save the extra cost of an A10 for PDR or ?????

It seems like the auto will be the only option for just about all makers soon. Look at Porsche, BMW, etc...pretty much all autos now. Enjoy one of the best M6's around in a ZLE...while they last.

Good luck...hope to see you around Palomar soon...

JJ

Well said sir!

Most 911 models can be ordered with an M6, save for the Turbo and non S model, you can row your own gears in almost all of them after the 991.1.